Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Car Show Attendance

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's what I hate about car shows.... the judges. Sometimes the newer cars win, the 50's cars win, the muscle car wins.... or the Ford's win, the Chevy's win, the Dodge's win...

Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM

Honestly now I just go to hang out and have fun, talk to people, etc. I just want people to see cars you don't see anymore. You'd be surprised at the conversation my '90 Daytona generates. Some of it positive, even.:p I can't wait to see how the Pace Car does, because it already gets a lot of looks when I'm out driving, getting gas, etc. I think people will enjoy seeing it at cruise-ins.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Love the feedback guys and gals.

I did forget about the shows that have a year cutoff...I went to one of those a few years ago and they wouldn't let a few of the club members in....we then spoke to the event organizer, and told him we'd be coming back next year with 25 cars...about 10 of which were newer then the cutoff date...and sure enough the next year they let us right in....but I hear ya about not wanting to go to these shows....

It's funny cause people in bigger city's that have cruise nights practically every night get tired of them cause there always the same cars...while people in more rural areas don't have any cruise nights wish they had more of them....I have a buncha cruise nights by me, but ussually only attend one or two....for the most part it's the same cars but every now and then a new one pops up...and ussually I go just to see friends and bs, even for an hour or two.

As for the juding what there *suppose* to do is take in the consideration of how new the car is, how many miles are on it, and how far it drove from the show and have an unbiased decision based on that, and take that into account when judging scratches, and cleanliness....But we all know that's not the case...they judge the cars they like...one year I went to a show with 30 GTO's and nont one car won anything...modded or stock we got nothing....I feel cause GTO's aren't vissually appealing (MO) but my fellow GTO peeps were upset and stopped going....For myself I got past it cause I do not care about trophies or judging...this is evident cause 99% of the time my cars are filthy at the shows.

I think for the most part many are shy to go to shows, they don't know anyone or anything about shows so they don't go...But once you break the ice so to speak, you will be surprised at how friednly people are...There are plunty of times I'm checking out an older car, and an older guy will just start talking about when he first got the car, the restoring he's done and the glimmer in his eye and smile on his face while discussing the car is awesome....of course you also get the newer muscle car guys who can't wait to boast about there car....but once you see this, most start going back to shows more and more...and friendships are made.

I have also been in the boat were the GF hates going to shows, and once we get there they can't wait to leave...lol...but every now and again the gf likes to walk around and see the cars too....I know at the GM Nationals they have a full spa tent to cater to the girls while at the car show which is cool.

If anyone decides to make it to the GM Nationals or any of the shows I go to, you best better come up and say hi to me! lol.

Joe

Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 PM

If I'm still working weekends in June I'll say "hi" if you're at GM/Carlisle on Friday. I hate having cars I want to show and having to work weekends.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Joe,

I know you are one hard core car show attendee. You and Cort are two people I watch as far as Monte Carlos are concerned.

My one problem with not attending a show is distance. Kind of like you attending the 2005 Monte Nats in Decatur, IL.

You know I was at the last Montes@MIS event that took place. I send my registration and funds in for the 2008 event that never happened. Sadly. I doubt I've ever been a car show that was as fun as the Montes@MIS event was. Just for the fact we got to drive on the track. AND.... we got to go faster then the Vette guys did.

I heard the Monte Madness events were just plain cool. But people being what they are the event was discontinued because other people couldn't handle the prestige. (I actually heard someone took off with the funds. no idea if it's true?)

I'd love to attend the Monte Nats in Yorl, PA this year but doubt I will get to. Being that close to Carlisle, attending the GM Nats on saturday while the Monte Nats in full swing would be fun.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:04 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

I almost lost my mind while waiting on the MOTM vote to finish and I hadn't even met you guys. I was temporarily put into the asylum for the MOTY voting. There is NO WAY I could enjoy myself if people were judging my car in person. I will attend shows and enjoy looking at other people's cars with no thought whatsoever about the judging process. Thank you.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

I would love to meet more, unfortunately lack of funds, or family/work obligations get in the way. And sometimes the ones I can make it to when I am free, don't allow newer cars like mine. I want to go where my car will get just as much respect. And Joe, we WILL meet up this year!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

One show I go to gives out a Jack-*** trophy for trailered car.. they say the fun is drive there. Another rod run I go to on flyer it says trailered cars belong in swap meet.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Montelicious
I would love to meet more, unfortunately lack of funds, or family/work obligations get in the way. And sometimes the ones I can make it to when I am free, don't allow newer cars like mine. I want to go where my car will get just as much respect. And Joe, we WILL meet up this year!

We need to have a meet somewhere in the middle

Old 02-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Originally Posted by Mels SS
We need to have a meet somewhere in the middle
I agree. Or mini meets.

Quick Reply: Car Show Attendance