Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Car Show Attendance

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Car Show Attendance

General Conversation here.

As you guys and gals know I go to a lot of car shows, both in my back yard and up and down the Northeast coast. And every year I go, my ussual monte peeps show up and I always hear from others (monte & Non Monte people) about how they want to go to more shows and will definitely come next time I go to a show.

Of course I provide hotel info, location info and time and such and those people ussually never show up. Understand this isn't a complaint on my part, it is more of a question as to why more people don't come out.

Years ago there was an awesome show called Monte Madness, an all monte event in the northeast that took place from 04-06....it got lotsa first gens, some second and third gens, Tons of 4th gens...only 1 or 2 5th gens and decent ammount of 6th gens

More recently we have shows like seapirate/gm nationals/ocean city just to name a few, and the modern montes are lacking compared to there older counterparts.

I questioned this a lot on many a monte board...why even though many say they will be coming we just can't get newer monte owners out....over the years I got some good responses.:

Some stated that I have to understand that most who owned 5th gens at the time (And now 6th gens as well probably) are broke college kids who could barely afford the car let alone taking a trip to a show for a weekend....I understand this completely droping 150-200 on a hotel plus food, car show fees and such does get expensive...But even when I post car shows/events I will be at that are literally in there backyards, they still don't attend...a car show fee is tops 20 bucks...and food for the day, say another 20....so it's not breaking the bank.

Others give an excuse that there car is stock, or doesn't look as good as others....honestly attending one car show and you will see it's not about the cars, it's about meeting people, getting pics taken, having some food, laughs, and good times...and if trophies are your thing...last year at the gm nationals a Bone Stock 6th Gen LS won for best monte amongst the field of 2 turbo 6th gens and countless modded 1st and 4th gens.

Could it be the fear of meeting new people....like Ive never been to one, so I don't know what to do, and all the people already know each other and a person would feel out of place?

I still can't figure out what the reasons are why more monte people...actually people in general who say I'm definitely coming to a car show this year and never show up could be...now I know we can't all make every car show, but one or two would be nice...

Thoughts/Opinions?
Joe

Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

I go to some shows,have a hard time what car to take . so I don't go to all...

Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 PM

I used to go to a lot of car shows, before my current employer forced me onto the weekend shift... I'd never promise to go to a show and then back out. Truth is, I don't know if I'll make any shows with my Monte or my Daytona this year, so I won't even promise it. I've been off work with my hand injury since December and when I go back in March, my chances of getting the days off I want are slim. Everyone has seniority over me on the shift I'm on now. I can put in for a day 3 months in advance and not get it, which is a difficult situation when you work weekends. Most of the time I can't even go to family functions, unless I call in sick. I can only do that so often... The best I can hope for right now is hitting the local cruise-ins on my way home from work. I've applied for a lot of jobs though, some of them have crews taking turns working weekends, which I can handle.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 PM

In my neck of the woods, a lot of times newer cars are not welcome. The local car club, I can join, but the majority of the events they travel to in the area I can not do as my car would be to new. Alos money was a big factor for me to travel and get to shows. The last being one that you said and that at times I did not feel comfortable showing my car as I felt it wasn't good enough. It is irrelevant wether I was right or wrong, that is how I felt. Of course I would not say I was going and then not show.

I wish there were more shows and clubs locally I could be a part of. When I lived in Las Vegas, I enjoyed the weekly meets and cruises. I sure hope I can afford to get the camaro running soon so I can at least join the local club.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 PM

Personally for me, would be to drive a distant and not know anyone there.
But who knows, may be this year I can change that.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most car shows are for the "older" cars. The economy has hit a lot of people hard. Plus, most of the Montes are, as you stated, getting older, and with age comes more rock dings, more paint chips, more poor condition paint, more miles, less reliability.... and less chances of it going on a big trip to a show.

Car shows around here in general are lagging in attendance. The ones that were big before have gotten bigger. My theory is that people are cutting out the smaller shows and hitting up the bigger ones with money being tighter these days. The local cruise ins here last year were getting smaller and smaller....

Another thing that factors in is that most of the time, at small shows and cruise ins, its mostly the same crowd... and sometimes people get tired of goign to shows to see the same cars over and over again.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM

Cowboy, another thing I find is my area is oversaturated with cruise-ins. When there are 3 going on at the same time in a relatively small area, the cars can only go to so many. 15 years ago was a different story.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by KJRich
Cowboy, another thing I find is my area is oversaturated with cruise-ins. When there are 3 going on at the same time in a relatively small area, the cars can only go to so many. 15 years ago was a different story.

You have the Monte Nats and Carlisle in your back yard this year, so you have to be at one of them..

Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 PM

Wish we had the problem of too many cruis ins or shows to go to.

Last edited by Teacher; 02-20-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:51 PM

LOL I wouldn't exactly call it a problem, but some of these cruise-ins get so few cars. And yes, I'm going to do my best to make it to GM or the Nats, we'll see.

Quick Reply: Car Show Attendance