Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Car Show Attendance

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We have a lot of shows I attend here. I'm looking to do different one's this year.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Default car shows

Cars Shows, down here, draw a good attendance. The shows that I've been in are for the most part are geared for the Classics and Street Rod's but there is usually a class for 2000 to present and I haven't heard too much negative comments about my generation of cars in shows. However it does seem unfair when a newer car is awarded best paint when a 30 something street rod with a fantastic paint job on it , is not awarded...
I saw this happen last summer. Oh well.

I plan on entering as many as I can this year but I have a limit on travel.
If it takes me more than a hour to travel to one; I usually will not attend.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My biggest problem is that I'm usually doing something else on the day of the shows haha. But this is the year that I'm really trying to turn it around and get out and about with my car.

The g/f also isn't that big on them, so I'm trying to get her to come and enjoy it. Since the Monte Nats are my birthday weekend, I'm forcing her to come with me since it's my b-day and she can't say no

Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

I go to lots of shows as y'all know =) I was really shy & nervous to go at first but then i got over it & started to go to more & more & that's when I met a bunch of nice people. Now I totally can't wait for my first show on April 17 =) the monte isn't going to have all of the new things I wanted it to have by then but I'll still be going. I would loveeee to go to out of state meets & what not but there are a couple things preventing that:
-I'm in college & don't have time during the school year to take a trip between homework & studying
-My parents are really uptight about me going more then an hour away without anyone with me (hopefully this ends by the time I turn 21 this year)
-My monte has low mileage & I'd like to keep it that way...hope to get a truck & trailer someday that can haul the monte no problem. My dad has a big truck but there is no way he'd let me go on a road trip with it alone

This year though I hope to make a big trip somewhere. I'm hoping that there will be a big meet in Branson that I can go to during the summer months. it's only about 5ish hours from my house & I'm somewhat familiar with the area. My parents will probably let me go down there since we've been going down there since I was a couple months old but yeahh

Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah, I hate it when a factory paint job wins. Last year at the Granville County Rec League show, an '04 Mustang won Rec Department Pick, for the second year in a row!!!! The only thing it had was a CAI. And the same 1965 Chevy truck with an all chrome engine wins best of show. Then all these 28" rims on 80's Caprice and Crown Vics start winning Top 50, and my Torino or, two years ago, '50 Chevy doesn't get jack crap. Then when the Challengers came out, the owner of the Dodge Dealership across town rolled up in one before anyone really had tehm on teh streets, registered 2 hours later, the judges had to make a special trip to his car, and he won Best Modern car. I was pissed. I'm tired of the Rec League Show.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Originally Posted by nascar43
Cars Shows, down here, draw a good attendance. The shows that I've been in are for the most part are geared for the Classics and Street Rod's but there is usually a class for 2000 to present and I haven't heard too much negative comments about my generation of cars in shows. However it does seem unfair when a newer car is awarded best paint when a 30 something street rod with a fantastic paint job on it , is not awarded...
I saw this happen last summer. Oh well.

I plan on entering as many as I can this year but I have a limit on travel.
If it takes me more than a hour to travel to one; I usually will not attend.
& speaking of newer cars...it really pisses me off when a new Camaro fresh off the lot comes to a show & is in the same class as the monte that is 6 years old & driven everyday. Obviously the camaro usually wins (Almost every time I've lost a show it has been to a brand new Camaro & its sooo irritating!) More shows need to start offering a DD class IMP

Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Maybe they shouldn't allow cars less than 5 years old. Just an idea. In the late '90s I had a really nice '83 Dodge Mirada that I repainted and did some other mods to and was put in a class that spanned like 15 years or something like that. Of course, a brand new, stock Mustang GT beat me out. This was before the retro-looking ones.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

I had a 1977 camaro custom metal flake paint job,I showed the judges got mad because road grim under car I told them daily drive get over it ..,One show I saw a new pt criuser win over 1941 chevy with chop top ,custom tail lights..ect....

Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 AM

I really didn't see them (PT's) as show cars the day they came out, but the All Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle, PA gave them at least 2 classes (stock/modified) the same year they came out. Of course they do the same thing with any new car Chrysler introduces, I wonder if the GM and Ford shows are similar.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
& speaking of newer cars...it really pisses me off when a new Camaro fresh off the lot comes to a show & is in the same class as the monte that is 6 years old & driven everyday. Obviously the camaro usually wins (Almost every time I've lost a show it has been to a brand new Camaro & its sooo irritating!) More shows need to start offering a DD class IMP
I enjoy taking them on I wop up on them all the time. Don't be afraid to show up and have a good time. Get to know those judges and what they look for
and you have a leg up on them

Quick Reply: Car Show Attendance