Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Car & Driver: Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow Car & Driver: Reviews

Hi Member's,
Below from Car & Driver Magazine.
Which one(s) do you like ? Post & let our member's know...
Your `turn to post !
First Drive Review

2015 Porsche Macan S / TurboPorsche builds a phenom for hard-core SUV haters.
DON SHERMAN | FEBRUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (28) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2014 McLaren 12C CoupeNo-nonsense supercar-ness, distilled.
JENS MEINERS | FEBRUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (27) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

First Drive Review

2015 Subaru WRX STIThe most extreme roadgoing Subaru—ever.
JOHN PHILLIPS | FEBRUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (31) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2014 Mini Cooper / Cooper S HardtopGrowing—and maturing—in the right ways.
AARON ROBINSON | FEBRUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (59) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

First Drive Review

2015 GMC Sierra 2500 / 3500 HDRedefining the cowboy Cadillac.
MIKE SUTTON | FEBRUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (15) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 / 3500 HDMixing power with refinement for heavy-duty excellence.
MIKE SUTTON | FEBRUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (19) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2015 Volkswagen Golf R HatchbackHave you driven on a fiord lately?
ANDREW WENDLER | JANUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (31) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2014 Maserati Ghibli S Q4The hardest-working 132 pounds in the automotive world.
DON SHERMAN | JANUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (41) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2015 Kia K900 V-8It's an honest-to-goodness luxury car—from Kia.
JOHN PEARLEY HUFFMAN | JANUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (49) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2014 BMW M235i CoupeA past perfect conjugation of M3.
JEFF SABATINI | JANUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (74) READ FULL STORY

First Ride

We Survived Godzilla (And Possibly Set a New 'Ring Record): Our Wicked Ride in the 2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO Track PackageIf you have to ride shotgun, you might as well do so in a NISMO GT-R prototype at the Nürburgring.
TONY QUIROGA | JANUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (46) READ FULL STORY

First Ride

2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA-class PrototypeWe sit shotgun with engineers as they finalize Mercedes' latest volume play.
JENS MEINERS | DECEMBER 2013
VIEW PHOTOS (41) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2015 Subaru WRX SedanThe WRX rally has entered another stage.
TONY QUIROGA | DECEMBER 2013
VIEW PHOTOS (49) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2014 Porsche 918 SpyderPorsche recasts this whole hybrid business in a most amazing way.
JARED GALL | DECEMBER 2013
VIEW PHOTOS (54) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWDHonda is finally bridging the hybrid-technology gap.
K.C. COLWELL | DECEMBER 2013
VIEW PHOTOS (35) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray ConvertibleThe C7's second act is a topless show.
JOHN LAMM | DECEMBER 2013
VIEW PHOTOS (44) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2014 BMW X5Silently through Whistler.
KEVIN A. WILSON | DECEMBER 2013
VIEW PHOTOS (39) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Default >I like the coupe, but I'd take a Convertible also (LOL+)

First Drive Review

arrow2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible

The C7's second act is a topless show.
Iterations of the C7 Chevrolet Corvette keep coming. First was the comparo-winning Stingray coupe, followed now by the convertible. Next comes the Z06 in January, and the C7.R racer is likely to make its competition debut at the 24 Hours of Daytona in February. At some point we’ll see a new ZR1, and who knows what will follow after that? An El Vette-amino, perhaps?
Today, however, we’re enjoying the droptop model on California Route 74 as it twists up from Palm Springs into the mountains and to Idyllwild. The top is down, and we’re quite comfortable, despite cool weather. The interior features the same high-quality materials as in the coupe, and the car displays the same eager driving reflexes and tenacious grip. The electric steering speaks in hushed tones compared to, say, the systems fitted to Stuttgart’s finest, but it is unwaveringly obedient and displays linear effort. The five-position Driver Mode Selector is present here, too, offering Weather, Eco, Tour, Sport, and Track modes that can alter up to 12 different parameters, including the steering, available magnetic shocks, and stability control.

We have yet to strap our test gear to this new ragtop, but if you want a good idea of the numbers it will put down, look no further than our initial review and comparison test involving the C7 Z51 manual coupe. Note the 0-to-60 times, the quarter-mile figures, the near 50/50 weight distribution, and the strong brakes. Then basically mark them down for the correlate convertible.
That’s because, aside from their roofs, the coupe and convertible versions of the Stingray are essentially even-steven. With the vast majority of the cars’ structure situated down low in the center tunnel and cast, extruded, and hydroformed aluminum frame members, there’s little difference in rigidity. The new structure largely eliminates the sort of chassis flex that sullied the C6 convertible experience. The coupe offers open-air motoring, too, in the form of a lift-off targa panel, and even with that clamped in place, Chevy claims the difference in torsional stiffness between the body styles is “nominal.” (Later interrogation of engineers revealed the difference to be one to two percent.)

The Corvette team says the convertible version again features a softtop—rather than adopting a folding hardtop—for three primary reasons: it’s lighter, it eats up less space, and it adheres to the look and tradition of roofless Vettes past. The softtop assembly, supplied by Webasto, is claimed to add a scant 60 pounds to the curb weight and features a glass rear window and a tri-layer fabric covering that incorporates sound insulation between the innermost and middle strata. Chevy tells us it quantifies the convertible as even quieter than the coupe when each has its roof in place. You can open or close the top in 21 seconds and at speeds up to 30 mph; you may also lower the roof from outside via the key fob.
We tested Chevy’s top-up noise claim on a highway portion of our route by rushing up next to an 18-wheeler to see how much racket filtered through. It wasn’t a lot, the main sounds we heard being a small amount of road noise from below and to the rear. It helps that the trunk here is a separate cavity with a real bulkhead versus the coupe’s open hatchback area. Traveling at speeds up to 70 mph with the top settled under the tonneau, there’s little wind disturbance, and occupants needn’t speak up to be heard. Chevrolet doesn’t yet offer a wind-blocker accessory, but you don’t really need one; air moving over the windshield header seems to flow directly overhead to the rear deck and into your wake. You can raise the side windows to settle things down even more; it would be tempting to see if you could light a match in the cockpit and keep it lit.

Of course, there’s more than enough fire burning within the thunderous LT1 V-8 up front. Pumping out 455 horsepower and 460 lb-ft (460 and 465 with the optional and sound-enhancing performance exhaust), the new-generation small-block backs up to your choice of a seven-speed manual or six-speed, paddle-shiftable automatic. The former gearbox features a rev-match mode as it does in the coupe, but what we’d really like are somewhat better-defined shift gates.
The hugely capable Stingray convertible is an excellent package at a bargain price, with stickers starting at $56,995 and rising to about $80,000. The Z51 performance package (additional cooling, dry-sump lubrication, an electronic limited-slip diff, and more) is on offer, as are carbon-fiber interior trim, the excellent competition seats, and myriad exterior add-ons. While returning from one loop in the Corvette, we pulled up next to a V-8–powered Jaguar F-type. Pondering the beautiful Jag, which starts at $93,000, it occurred to us that if that car has a fundamental flaw, it’s the very vehicle we were driving. We’ll take one in Lime Rock Green. View Photo Gallery <Click

Last edited by Space; 03-03-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd say the Vette is the nicest in that group - most of which are cars I do not like. I agree that the Stingray coupe looks better than the convertible. The convertible looks nice enough top-down, but I have always hated the look of the Vette with the rag top up. The same can be said of most rag tops, but the Vette in particular just looks wrong.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 AM

Hi `Brent & thanks for your post/words.

I like them both, but I prefer the coupe. People can see you better in a Convertible (LOL).

I would just be happy to own & drive one & I wouldn't care if the windows were dark tinted (I love dark tinted windows: ) & no one could see the driver. My main goal would be driving one & enjoying the tech & power. If I owned a new Vette & people seen me in it they would think I'm just another spoiled kid or driving my dad's or grandfathers `Vette .

Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think people would be thinking "Wow, check out that sweet Vette the alien is driving..."

Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Default "Got 2 `be who U R 4-$ure"

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I think people would be thinking "Wow, check out that sweet Vette the alien is driving..."

LoL `Brent > LOL > 4-Sure

Every time people see me driving the Company Caddy, or one of my senior citizens nice rides they all seem to think that I'm some young alien from another planet 4-Real > Sure
* I know that I am & doing my best to adapt to being a human. I have learned how to make bad decisions and many mistakes. I'm sure learning as I travel this journey on Planet `Earth

I must get ready to blast `off 2 Miami & I hope I get back tonight or 2morrow...Keep the MCF active & fun...Thanks 2 U & `all