Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Camaros are loosing cool points in my book!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by milrlyt
IMHO, they ruined the Mustang and Camaro by making too many automatics and making them so cheap that anyone can afford it.
You do know that the Mustang and Camaro originally came out so that people could have CHEAP POWER right?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You do know that the Mustang and Camaro originally came out so that people could have CHEAP POWER right?
I was just thinking that. I'm pretty sure in 67 they sold more I6's then they did v8s.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 AM

I guess I wasn't around for the first few decades of those cars, but it just seems like they are the new Camry. Everyone's got one.

Back in the day, people who got those cars DROVE them. With their roaring V8s, not whiny V6s. They didn't just drive them to the grocery store or take them to work and back, they DROVE them.

Nowadays, that isn't nearly as common. It's just not the same as it used to be and my opinion is that change is what destroyed the magic of those cars.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 AM

15 Year Member

That's because back in the day it was easy to spend barely any money on a cheap car, and then drop in a v8 and have a monster.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 AM

I will trust your word since it seems like you were there for that lol :p

Given that, my point is, it still isn't the same. It never will be the same. That's what I don't like about these new cars. They just don't live up to their ancestors. Back in the day, they were true american muscle cars. Today, they're just cars, most of em.

I really love seeing some guy really modify his Camaro/Mustang/etc into a true beast, and that's how they should be, but that's all too rare now. I just hate to see those cars - with SO MUCH potential - living their lives as everyday grocery getters and commuters.

That, and the plastic

Old 04-17-2012, 11:51 AM

15 Year Member

I will trust your word since it seems like you were there for that lol :p
OUCH, I'm only going on 26 years old

But I am currently looking for a 1st Gen Camaro project

Given that, my point is, it still isn't the same. It never will be the same. That's what I don't like about these new cars. They just don't live up to their ancestors. Back in the day, they were true american muscle cars. Today, they're just cars, most of em.
Agreed. Safety and emission standards suck. Every car needs all of these nannies, and airbags, etc. If they still made the car how they used to AND included all of this government regulated stuff, they would weigh EVEN MORE than they already do.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The economy and gas prices are really killing a lot of the hobby. It's hard to jump in a car when leaded race fuel that some cars need is $12 a gallon. It's insane. When it used to maybe cost $1 to cruise for a night, you're looking close to $30 depending on the car. It's sad.
Not to mention cops aren't lenient anymore. I've seen old guys pulled over in their hot rods and getting tickets for doing burnouts, it's sad. You can't even have loud exhaust without getting crap from cops, and that used to be just a normal thing.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

OUCH, I'm only going on 26 years old

But I am currently looking for a 1st Gen Camaro project

im really lookin foward to seeing that! thats gunna be killer. keep us updated on that!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM

It means if you are going to drive like that, put the car in 3 and deal with the higher RPMs and worse gas mileage.

If you are just cruising at 90 and not constantly going up and down in speeds (making the car downshift to 3, and back to 4) then you are fine.
Thanks for the info - its why I love this site, I'm always learning something new. When I hit high speeds like that, I'm cruising along the highway if I'm lucky enough to find a long open stretch. Around St. Louis there aren't many places where I can get up to 90 quickly, then decelerate to safe speeds, then back up to higher speeds. It's always done on long highway trips - the picture I posted (90 mph @ 2000 rpm) was taken on a trip to Illinois on highway 57, long and straight for miles.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
im really lookin foward to seeing that! thats gunna be killer. keep us updated on that!
I will. Everyone is overpricing what they have.

This last guy I went to go check out had the offer of the car for 16.5, had a bunch of pictures, car looked great! Interior was ripped out, new carpeting etc was put in, floor pans were rust proofed, etc.

We got there, and the car looked like a POS. I can only assume that his pictures were from a while ago and he let it sit outside or something. Interior was disgusting, the silver paint was ruined, the bottom of the car was rusted out.

We told him he would be lucky to get HALF of what he asked. Such a waste of 3 hours.

Quick Reply: Camaros are loosing cool points in my book!