Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Caddy Concept > GM should've made it a new Monte Carlo ? + fast rides + <

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb >Caddy Concept > GM should've made it a new Monte Carlo ? + fast rides + <

Hi Member's, what do you think of this Concept ?
Post & let us all know ? Thanks

<hgroup>Cadillac Elmiraj Concept

The future of Cadillac's Art & Science design language.

</hgroup>
  • August 2013
  • BY DON SHERMAN
  • MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHERS
  • <!-- class="multiple" added when multiple authors or photographers -->
  • JAMES LIPMAN AND
  • THE MANUFACTURER
<!-- Gigya Social Share Floater -->

Design themes, particularly those as radical as Cadillac’s initial razor-edged Art & Science (A&S) motif, typically enjoy a half-life of just a few years. Rooted in the 1999 Evoq concept and influencing production models from the 2003 CTS sedan onward, A&S has survived for more than a decade, albeit with varying degrees of care and feeding from GM’s luxury brand.
In other words, a fresh interpretation of exactly what defines the Cadillac look and feel is overdue. To shift such ethereal notions to a tangible mockup that designers, fans of the brand, and the world at large can see and touch, Cadillac recently whisked the wraps off its Elmiraj concept car at a country club in Carmel, California, just across the valley from Clint Eastwood's estate. (For his part, Eastwood attended the unveiling, pronounced the car good, and said he's ready to cut a check.) The car is absolutely gorgeous in the flesh, a purposeful piece painted a shade Cadillac calls Indian Blue.
The Elmiraj’s mission is not to accurately forecast any production model but rather to set the stage for future interpretations of Cadillac’s A&S design philosophy. The place that inspired the name—El Mirage—is a Mojave Desert dry lakebed where straight-line speed demons, Hollywood film crews, and weekend adventurers have gamboled for half a century.
<table width="429" class="default" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">

</td></tr></tbody></table>Needing something dramatic to secure the top of its model range, Cadillac draped its new A&S suit over a pillarless hardtop coupe of near-epic proportions. The wheelbase measures 121 inches, and the 205-inch overall length tops that of the stately Bentley Continental GT by more than a foot. That doesn’t mean that the Elmiraj or any production Cadillac that follows its lead will be a slouch. Driving enjoyment, sparkling performance, and an entertaining power-to-weight ratio all are integral to this fresh theme, notes the maker. To further emphasize that point, Cadillac tapped the engine it practically invented a century ago for propulsion service. (Yes, the car is a runner.) The Elmiraj’s 4.5-liter V-8 is blessed with twin turbochargers and a nice, round 500-hp rating. Underpinnings borrowed from an unspecified future production program closely resemble the architecture used in today’s ATS and CTS sedans. That means rear-wheel drive and strict attention to lightweight engineering disciplines.
Granting form and function equal play, the Elmiraj’s long hood is vented to exhaust turbo heat. Heroic 22x9-inch aluminum wheels frame carbon-ceramic brake rotors and serious-looking opposed-piston brake calipers; the tires are 265/35 Michelins. Vsport identification badges hint that a more potent V-series Elmiraj could further advance this new A&S performance initiative. Front and rear lighting equipment continues with the vertical orientation Cadillac has preferred for ages.
The Elmiraj’s vast length and linear sculpture are reminiscent of the most stunning Cadillac coupe in recorded history, the 1967 Fleetwood Eldorado penned by Wayne Kady (theme model) and Chuck Jordan (final production execution). That’s no coincidence. According to GM’s executive director of advanced design Clay Dean, “We were influenced by the 1967 Eldorado’s design and the fact that, in its time, it represented a stark contrast and a new direction.” One of the new directions the brand took with the Elmiraj was with the Cadillac crest, which is a wreathless concept that is just the latest of evolutions of a design that’s transformed dozens of times in the past half century. It sits within a grille whose shape mimics that of the badge. In person, the visual texture of the grille filler changes with your viewing angle.
<table width="429" class="default" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">

</td></tr></tbody></table>A special “valet” feature makes life in the Elmiraj’s back seat more palatable. When a door is opened, the appropriate front seat scoots forward 10 inches as the rear bucket glides four inches ahead to ease entry. Configured with firm, laterally supportive bolsters, the two rear buckets have adjustable backrests.
Interior trim is a lavish mix of camel-colored leather, hand-carved Brazilian rosewood, and backlit titanium strips. Transparent analog tachometer and speedometer gauges rest in front of a broad, high-resolution screen that displays information from a forward-view camera. The camera feeds the screen actual road views over which navigation instructions—routing arrows, turn instructions, etc.—can be laid. A centrally located 10-inch touch screen conveying further navigation and communication information can be tucked out of sight when it’s not needed, resulting in a clean, door-to-door dash sweep.
The Elmiraj is more logical and practical than the stillborn Ciel four-door convertible Cadillac presented at Pebble Beach two years ago. But it's nowhere near as gotta-have-it as the 750-hp V-12, mid-engine Cien two-seater Cadillac rolled out in 2002. Could it be that the Elmiraj is a mirage and Cadillac’s superhero will materialize in production as a sports car benefitting from the past decade’s hard lessons? We can dream. View Photo Gallery

<nav class="mod">PHOTOS (30)</nav>

Last edited by Space; 08-18-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 AM

And there's so much more out there in the Automotive `Space 4-Sure Click below to watch a free Automotive Movie

I share my auto `Dreams with you (yes, you deciding `if you should click below vid's or not)...I couldn't resist 4-Sure...
They are just Amaz'in Rides 4-Sure (last 2 vid's) > EnJoy = = = = = = = = = = =

13:28 <button title="Watch Later" class="addto-button video-actions spf-nolink addto-watch-later-button-sign-in yt-uix-button yt-uix-button-default yt-uix-button-size-small yt-uix-tooltip" role="button" type="button" data-video-ids="Q2Q2G54dCpA" data-button-menu-id="shared-addto-watch-later-login" data-tooltip-text="Watch Later"> </button>

* I love it ^
^ I love this one also...I love a lot (lol)

Last edited by Space; 08-18-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

I don't know but this car is absolutely beautiful and has such an aggressive stance. Actually I think I'd take the Elmiraj over the Ciel concept. Cadillac knows what they're doing design-wise.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Thanks `Matt for being the 1st to post on this thread + posting the pictures to reflect the awesome design...

I just wish that GM would consider making a coupe that the average working person could afford. Everyone is not Rich & can afford a Caddy 4-Sure...I would love to see them make a new Monte with the above platform & powertrain. I do like the power of GM's 3.6L + it gets great MPG's...

Look forward to reading member's thoughts/comments/words..
Thank You!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Def looks nice, I would ad a good spoiler to the rear, not a wing.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 77gp
Def looks nice, I would ad a good spoiler to the rear, not a wing.

Hi `Jerry, yes I'm sure that you would add a spoiler or
something to prove that it is yours....
I think a wing like below would look coooooool >

Thanks for your post

Old 08-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looking at the concept caddy, I have mixed feelings about it. Not feeling the seats, that's for sure. The body style is nice. It's in the same general look and feel of the CTS-V.

But something you need to keep in mind is that this is the concept vehicle. Very rarely does everything you see on the concept car make it to the production car. Wheels being one of them. Concept car wheels tend to get replaced with cheaper, more bland looking wheels on the production version. Same with the interior. The interior tends to be substituted for a more cost effective, less radical, production version with multiple trim levels.

And I guarantee you that dash will be tweaked to make it more user friendly. And to add more real-world creature comforts. Like various levels of navigation systems, audio/video systems, and of course climate controls. They have to allow for various trim levels of all these things on the production version. Plus, it doesn't look like the concept dash allows for a passenger side airbag. But it looks cool.

And keep in mind, sometimes things you see in concept vehicles are non-functional mockups that don't really work. But they look damn cool, and are meant to inspire ideas for the future.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not trying to be a downer. Overall, I like the concept caddy. But look at past concept cars, and look at the resulting production versions. Two very different looking cars. The production version always ends up looking watered-down. Because concept cars are not bound by real world issues. Like safety systems, practicality, and cost effectiveness. Concept cars are the cars we fantasize and dream about.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I like the looks of it, not totally sold on the dash but I am certain they will re work prior to production.

I do agree with Taz on his point. Very rarely do we get a car on the market that is extremely close to the original concept.

Name:  wraith1.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  47.9 KB

take for example the concept car used in the 80s movie "The Wraith" I am still waiting for this one to hit the market

Old 08-19-2013, 04:15 AM

Hello Lou, Ken & Members,
I understand that many of the concepts never make it to production, but I love seeing the future designs & the direction that a auto company is going in their designs...Thanks for your posts/comments/opinions...

Auto DeSigned `Dream Machines