Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Bar rescue ? :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member
Default Bar rescue ? :)

I got hooked on this program over the weekend. ... Its cool to see what the Host can do with the New bar he builds . But the yellin at the owners like they were kids NOT COOL ! Anyone else watch this program ?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I watched it once, didnt really care for the main guy in it

Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen the show. I've watched a lot of the episodes actually. John Taffer (the host) can come off like a jerk a lot of the time. But many times the owner/staff need to hear it.

Like in the episode with the pirate bar "Piratz Tavern". The owner saw the movie Pirates of the Caribbean, and thought it would be a fun idea to make a pirate themed bar. In the middle of an area that is mainly a corporate business part of town. Where most of the people are dressed up in business attire. It was not a tourist part of town. All locals.

The Piratz Tavern was losing money and business at a staggering rate, and was very close to going under. But the owner insisted on living her fantasy of playing dress up, and having her glorified costume party she called a bar. Or a "baaaarrrggghhh", as the idiot bartender called it.

John Taffer tried to get through to the owner, and get the point across that the pirate theme wasn't working. The show paid the money to change the bar into something that was more fitting with the type of clientelle that would frequent the place. And it started to make money after the change.

But at the end of the show, the announcer gave an update that the owner insisted on playing fantasy dress up. And put all the pirate stuff back up. And once again, the bar was neck deep in debt and unpaid bills.

People like that need to hear John yell at them. And give them the brutal, honest truth.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I've seen the show. I've watched a lot of the episodes actually. John Taffer (the host) can come off like a jerk a lot of the time. But many times the owner/staff need to hear it.

Like in the episode with the pirate bar "Piratz Tavern". The owner saw the movie Pirates of the Caribbean, and thought it would be a fun idea to make a pirate themed bar. In the middle of an area that is mainly a corporate business part of town. Where most of the people are dressed up in business attire. It was not a tourist part of town. All locals.

The Piratz Tavern was losing money and business at a staggering rate, and was very close to going under. But the owner insisted on living her fantasy of playing dress up, and having her glorified costume party she called a bar. Or a "baaaarrrggghhh", as the idiot bartender called it.

John Taffer tried to get through to the owner, and get the point across that the pirate theme wasn't working. The show paid the money to change the bar into something that was more fitting with the type of clientelle that would frequent the place. And it started to make money after the change.

But at the end of the show, the announcer gave an update that the owner insisted on playing fantasy dress up. And put all the pirate stuff back up. And once again, the bar was neck deep in debt and unpaid bills.

People like that need to hear John yell at them. And give them the brutal, honest truth.
I saw that episode... Recently.. The lady that owned it was in for over 900 thousand dollars in debt... (according to the show).

I agree... he is a little harsh...However, the end result accompolishes the goal! He actually does a great job!
I like the show!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

I've read reviews on that bar on Yelp. The main complaint is the food and service is horrible. The bar has a few regulars that buy into the pirate thing. But it sounds like the bar gets a lot of one time visits from people who have seen the episode of Bar Rescue.

Of course, online reviews can be skewed. Competing bar employees can write reviews trashing the place. And employees of Piratz (and their friends/families) can write reviews praising the place.

It sounds like Piratz is like most neighbourhood bars. Mostly empty with a few regulars. It's just too bad that the owner has sunk so much money into it.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I've read reviews on that bar on Yelp. The main complaint is the food and service is horrible. The bar has a few regulars that buy into the pirate thing. But it sounds like the bar gets a lot of one time visits from people who have seen the episode of Bar Rescue.

Of course, online reviews can be skewed. Competing bar employees can write reviews trashing the place. And employees of Piratz (and their friends/families) can write reviews praising the place.

It sounds like Piratz is like most neighbourhood bars. Mostly empty with a few regulars. It's just too bad that the owner has sunk so much money into it.
From what I understand they changed it into more of a "night club" vs your local pub!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
From what I understand they changed it into more of a "night club" vs your local pub!

Which is a good idea. Because everyone online says their food sucks. Even the positive reviews tell you it's a great place, just avoid the food.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have never seen the show but I have worked in bars and night clubs for years and will say that most bar owners are never happy no matter what.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I have never seen the show but I have worked in bars and night clubs for years and will say that most bar owners are never happy no matter what.

Well that bar owner is real happy. She's just going bankrupt playing dress up.