Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1996 monte sways ? sway bar ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Default 1996 monte sways ? sway bar ?

can any one tell me what to look for, it seems the rear sway bar is intact. is there a sway bar in the front ?

Old 11-16-2006, 04:47 AM
Default RE: 1996 monte sways ? sway bar ?

We need a little more info. You can have a broken sway bar and not even really know it. They usally coem into play when cornering so you get less body roll. Unless its a top heavy truck or van you really might not even notice it. I work at a local suspension place and youd be amazed what goes on the rack with bad parts and most people have no idea untill you show them. If you want to check the bar itself look for cracks..yes they can crack near the ends, bars are hollow not solid. Check the end links too where the pin and bushings are and the bushing that hold it to the subframe as well. NExt i would check all the suspension...lower ball joints, wheel bearings, inned and outter tie rods, and the bushings that secure the rack and pinion to the craddle/frame. Its not hard to check this, just out it on the stands with the tires still on and gently give it a rock from side to side. Do this with the key forward so steering is unlocked...that is a must other wise it will feel like you have bad parts when you dont. next check the wheel bearings by grabbing the tire on the top and bottom and push on the top as you pull on the bottom and vice versa. I fyou get an signifigant pvement replace that bearing. Also take a good look at the craddle bushings, if those go bad they can cause real problems. Theres one in each corner, make sure the rubber isolator isnt missing or badly rotted. If your not up to checking all that take it to a National tire and battery, they checl stuff like that for free. i think most places may charge for some stuff liek that. But most places offer free checks on all that stuff and it really only takes about 30 seconds to check all that when its on a rack in a shop.