Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Banned from Another Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I thought this was the only forum on the web. All the staff and members here are pretty good at keeping the junk out. Most of the members are reasonable and keep thing good spirited.

Last edited by lougreen03; 01-29-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by brendan127
They're actually quite fast. 190 hp, 250 lb-ft of torque and 3200 lbs.
Sorry just never been too impressed with them.Part of it was due to some of the owners thinking that they're s-10/blazer can beat any thing
Had raced a few at the track that thought my dakota was slow an smoked them.
I think it's the mind set of some people that turn me off to some cars.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zenloser
Sorry just never been too impressed with them.Part of it was due to some of the owners thinking that they're s-10/blazer can beat any thing
Had raced a few at the track that thought my dakota was slow an smoked them.
I think it's the mind set of some people that turn me off to some cars.
Its like those 3.4 owners always saying their Monte is fast.

I'm done with the racing subject. It's all up to the owner. Some people sky dive, others race. If you aren't endangering anyone else, the choice is your own.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM

I don't think 3.4's are fast, but I don't think they're underpowered either. That's what driving a 90 horsepower, slant 6 powered Dodge Mirada for the better part of 10 years will do to your outlook. THAT car was underpowered. I still managed to get one speeding ticket with it, though.
The new Camaros aren't invincible. One of my wife's cousins who was 18 years old died in one as a passenger last year. It was a V8 SS, the owner/driver was around 21 years old and I guess he thought it handled so well he could take this turn at 130 mph. It didn't work and only the back seat passenger survived. None of them were wearing seatbelts. You couldn't tell what kind of car it was after the wreck. Ironically, one of the reasons he could even afford this car is because of money his family received after the father died in a motorcycle accident. Just imagine what that mother is going through.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by KJRich
I don't think 3.4's are fast, but I don't think they're underpowered either. That's what driving a 90 horsepower, slant 6 powered Dodge Mirada for the better part of 10 years will do to your outlook. THAT car was underpowered. I still managed to get one speeding ticket with it, though.
The new Camaros aren't invincible. One of my wife's cousins who was 18 years old died in one as a passenger last year. It was a V8 SS, the owner/driver was around 21 years old and I guess he thought it handled so well he could take this turn at 130 mph. It didn't work and only the back seat passenger survived. None of them were wearing seatbelts. You couldn't tell what kind of car it was after the wreck. Ironically, one of the reasons he could even afford this car is because of money his family received after the father died in a motorcycle accident. Just imagine what that mother is going through.
I don't race(speed a lot) with my friends in the car because they've been through accidents(so have I) and they hate it, no one was hurt in the accidents other than maybe a sore neck, they were at slower speeds. And if I do I'm going in a straight line in the middle of nowhere. If I'm going to do anything else I'll take it to the strip/track. I also make all my friends put on their seatbelts. And I also don't drink or smoke or do drugs.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:53 PM

Thats a horrible story, the mother has to be in awful shape

Old 01-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by brendan127
I don't race(speed a lot) with my friends in the car because they've been through accidents(so have I) and they hate it, no one was hurt in the accidents other than maybe a sore neck, they were at slower speeds. And if I do I'm going in a straight line in the middle of nowhere. If I'm going to do anything else I'll take it to the strip/track. I also make all my friends put on their seatbelts. And I also don't drink or smoke or do drugs.
It's cool, I understand. I also don't take risks with friends/family in the vehicle. I have no problems with your video. I've seen worse on Youtube of people driving like idiots weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds. I've also done the occasional high speed test run at 3 in the morning on the way home from work on the night shift.

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
Thats a horrible story, the mother has to be in awful shape
I don't know that family personally, but it must be terrible. My wife's cousin (dad to the cousin that died) isn't handling it too well, the accident happened right after they left his house.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:21 PM

It's cool, I understand. I also don't take risks with friends/family in the vehicle. I have no problems with your video. I've seen worse on Youtube of people driving like idiots weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds. I've also done the occasional high speed test run at 3 in the morning on the way home from work on the night shift.

I don't know that family personally, but it must be terrible. My wife's cousin (dad to the cousin that died) isn't handling it too well, the accident happened right after they left his house.
I don't think I could even begin to imagine how that would feel, it must be terrible. Its sad when things like this happen, people need to know their limits and the vehicles limits.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
I'm not trying to be a sh*t disturber Gregg. Really. But I think Brock might be on to something. Yes, travelling at high speeds is dangerous no matter what or where you are. But technically going 90 in a Blazer, by yourself, down a deserted back road isn't really racing. It's speeding.

Semantics? Maybe. But if it's just him in his truck and nobody else. No other cars. A cop would most likely consider it speeding. Now if he had a car next to him that he was actually racing against, THAT'S a whole different story.

As for the Blazer being top heavy, yes you're right. But he wasn't doing a slalom obstacle course going 90.

Something else to discuss...

What would be more dangerous? Going 90 in a Blazer (straight line), or 150+ in a Camaro/Challenger?
Lou a few points I'd like to make; first I would agree with you that it was just speeding if he didn't have a camera/ timing device to document the exhibition. With this you are racing a clock. A clock or another car I don't see a lot of difference.
The second point is this. I drive I-4 daily between Lakeland and Orlando. At least once every thirty days I see an SUV in the median of the highway that has rolled. I-4 isn't a slalom course either. All it takes is a tire blow out or a turn of the steering wheel to avoid any obstacle in the road and you have a vehicle on its side or roof or barrel rolling. These vehicles were doing less than 90 MPH. Calamity only takes a second. If you are racing or speeding excessively there are too many unknowns. Too many things to go wrong. Too many drunks passed out on the side of the road, too many kids on bikes, too many four wheelers coming out of the woods.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Why do we gotta pick on people who drink, smoke or do drugs?

Quick Reply: Banned from Another Forum