Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Bad News for me and the Monte

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bad News for me and the Monte

Hi All,

While out on my lunch break at work, I got into an accident in my Monte! I am 100% at fault and on top of it, the police gave me a ticket too! The cop told me that no matter what, if proven at fault for an accident, that I get a citation for something. He gave me a ticket for following to closely...But heres the thing, we were sitting at a red light, the light turned green, and everyone started to accelerate including me, then the truck infront of me came to a haulting stop, and I crashed into him. My driver side front hit his passenger side rear because I knew that stopping was not going to happen in time, so I tried to swerve over into the shoulder but still hit him from behind. His Toyota Tundra had a dent in the bumper...end of story! My Monte looks horrible. Cross your fingers and pray that insurance does not total it. I am worried they will, and totally don't want them too. The car is mint condition from the doors all the way back. But the hood literally folded inhalf, and the bumper is totaled, the driver side fender is totaled, and the driver side head light is gone....The passenger side fender might be a little bent, either needs to be straigtened or replaced completly......So essentially everything on the front needs to be replaced. But it did not touch the radiator or anything under the hood from what I can see, except my new CAI. The body shop seems to think just by a quick glance that it looks way worse than it is just because the hood is bent in half...So like I said fingers crossed that its fixable, and they don't total it completly. If they total it completly it will literally pay off my loan and thats it i'll be left without a single penny to spare! Plus my precious Monte will be gone. The guy at the body shop is told me that if fixable, it will be good as new literally, and I will NEVER notice, he said the car will not handle any differently because A) its a unibody so no frame to get bent, and B) he does not think the damage is bad enough to bend a frame even if there was one. He thinks everything is just cosmetic. So again crossing my fingers. I just know that body work is really expensive, and my car is only worth like 9K because its such high milage. So i'm praying its not more than 5K in damage!

For the time being my insurace supported a full rental (Chevy Cobalt) which I like. And also my claims advisor thinks I should fight the ticket in court. The cop stated he HAD to give me a ticket because I was at fault. She told be that is BS, he did not have to give me a ticket, he just felt like it.....she thinks I have a chance of winning the ticket case. If not I can go to traffic school for the ticket. But I will get one point for the accident itself. So i'm hoping my insurance does not go completly through the roof now!

Well, I'm beside myself about the whole situation, and super sad my Monte is hurting. Just wish me luck that it fixable and I get it back good as new...minus the chips on the hood from semi's!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I hope it all works out, the monte RS is so nice!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

michael, like i said in my PM to you, sorry and if i could do anything give me a call man. we will be crossing our fingers for you, for sure!!! dam it, that sucks!!

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 07-13-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:00 PM

Sounds like the good old insurance scam trick on part of the truck driver. Sorry for the about the incident. I was at a party, me, being me, I was mellow, smoking my hookah. Everyone else was loud int he pool. Heard a "Pow!!" everyone got quite... A few mins later a door slams.Come in the morning I see a big indent on my hood. If that crash would of happen to lucy he would be in a hospital, guranteed.

Last edited by PINKFLOYD_; 07-13-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

michael!!! NOOOOO!!!!

that SUCKS man!! really, really sucks!!! that makes me very sad, i really love your car. good luck with the body work, please let us know what they come up with for an estimate.

what will happen with your grille, and the BRAND NEW CAI????? is either salvageable?? man you just got that CAI too. SUCKS!!!

as for the repair...i was scared to DEATH when my car was in the body shop that it just wouldn't be the same when i got it back, and luckily i was wrong. you'd never know it'd been in an accident, mine was probably roughly smooshed as bad as yours is. and mine did have the frame bent, and even still it drives like new. long as you have confidence that your body shop knows what they're doing, i'm sure when you get it back you'll be pleasantly surprised.

not the way i'm sure you wanted to do it, but at least when you get it back it'll be without the paint chips on the hood!!

i'm hurtin' for ya bro, i really am!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 PM

10 Year Member

Thanks everyone for the warm thoughts! I really truly need it right now...I am just crushed, and I am so worried to hear the news...totaled or fixable??? OMG, I can hardly stand not knowing.

I took it to a chrysler dealer with a full service body shop. None of the Chevy dealers around here had body shops. But This palce has awesome reviews, the people are really nice and helpful, it is AAA approved place, and they 100% warrenty their work for the LIFE I have the car...So if it is announced fixable, I will be on a road to a good recovery. At least I think. As for the grill IKD but if they don;t replace it, I can live with that, it was only $88 bucks, after I recover form deductable fees, I can replace it...The CAI and actually the grill I think will be replaced at no cost to me..The guy at the body shop told me that I will get the car back EXACTLY like it was, and even asked what brand/ where I bought the CAI.....So i'm just HOPING! BIG TIME!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 PM

10 Year Member

Jamie what happend with your accident? When?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

it happened in december, 3 days before X-Mas. some jerk ran a stop sign and i couldn't stop in time, slid on the ice to boot, and hit his passenger's side door. he was driving an expedition so all that happened to his car was a dent in the passenger's side front door. my car's damage came to over $12K.

my body shop put in for a new bumper ($1300) but was able to fix mine, so luckily that took care of my deductible. you could try to talk to whoever at the body shop and see if they might be able to do something for you to save on your deductible, if not completely get rid of it for you. they might not be into the whole insurance fraud thing though, haha.

good luck, when will you find out whether it's totaled or fixable??

Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 PM

that really sucks for both of you, i told myself if i get into a accident i dont want it back. it just wont be the same

Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 PM

10 Year Member

Holy lug nuts...12K!!! Yea that would be the end of my Monte for sure! OMG, I just HOPE its not that much...Did your air bags go off?

I hope to find out tomorrow evening...maybe Wednesday.

Quick Reply: Bad News for me and the Monte