Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Automotive Schooling? Car Related Jobs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Automotive Schooling? Car Related Jobs?

Hey guys. i was just wondering if any of you know or attend a school in pursuit of a job in the automotive area! im currently looking at a school for auto mechanics near by. anybody have any words of advice? any opinions where i should go? any fields that are great to be in? Im all about cars and anything the slightest bit car related would be great for me!

thanks for the help!

Old 12-04-2011, 01:03 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

UTI is a good school to goto, offer alot of different automotive courses

Old 12-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

UTI, Wyotech, and ITT tech(i think) plus there might be some local schools in your area.
Just make sure it's some thing you want to do.The atomotive world can be a difficult place.There is a lot of areas that don't pay well.Plus the northern states i'd have the pleasure of playing with rust(every one loves working on rusty cars)
But if it's some thing you want to do don't let people talk you out of it.Just be an honist mech/tech theres to many out there that aren't.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 AM

In Orlando Florida there is the MMI. It is the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute and the Marine Mechanics Institute.
I will speak of my experience. There are a few mechanics that make a good living. Most struggle to make a decent pay. You have to keep updating tools and training to stay current with new technology. I also don't know of any retired auto mechanic that is in good health and enjoying their retirement. Most can't afford to retire or they are broken down old men. If you enjoy working on cars leave it as a hobby. I went and studied HVAC-refrigeration. It pays well. If you are so inclined you can open your own business for far less than opening a garage. In my job at Disney I do HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing, electrical, and commercial kitchen equipment. It is better than working on wet cold rusty cars. I have my mechanics tools still and I have my project cars. All I have to do is go out to the yard and turn wrenches if I am so inclined.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check out Lincoln Technical Institute. They work hand in hand with the major auto manufacturers and repair facilities.