Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Attention Smokers!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs down Attention Smokers!

Not a very fun night last night. I get a call from my mom about 9:30 to come up to the local ER, my dad thought he was having a heart attack so she took him up. His chest X-Ray and EKG came back fine, but they wanted to transfer him to the bigger hospital in Middleburg Heights.

The first question they asked him in both places; do you smoke? Of course his answer is yes, he's been smoking for almost 50 years. Hopefully this will be his incentive to quit, his mom died from emphysema, his brother and sister-in-law both got issues from smoking and quit, but he's hard headed.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 12-30-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 AM

I Hope that your father listens to you & his doctors, and that the one's that `Smoke consider the risk, but it is each persons choice....."2 Smoke, or not 2 Smoke" ~>~*

I know it's a hard habit to break...I've watched my senior friends as they struggled to Stop, but they did...in time,
or with the help of others....& some stop smok'in aids...

Thanks for posting & sharing your message to member's.
Peace/Out
Stop Smoking Tips

The main goal of Stop-Smoking-Tips.com is to assist smokers aspiring to quit smoking and prevent smokers from having the urge to start smoking again. ...
Smoking and Lung Cancer - How to Stop Smoking Cold Turkey - Passive Smoking
www.stop-smoking-tips.com/ - Cached - Similar

Guide to Quitting Smoking

Quitting smoking is not easy, but you can do it. To have the best chance of quitting and staying quit, you need to know what you're up against, ...
Immediate rewards of quitting - How to quit - When smokers quit - Why should I quit?
www.cancer.org/Healthy/.../GuidetoQuittingSmoking/index - Cached

Last edited by Space; 02-07-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I don't smoke, but looked/learned a LOT fo the complications that result from smoking. The biggest one was Cancer. I thought it was possible to have a "little" case of cancern, but there is NO such thing. Cancer is like the lottery. Every puff you take, you are buying another lottery ticket. The day you hit, you are PRAYING that it's possible to cure (no situation is "easy").

Smoking causing bad blood circulation, as noted emphazema (imagine slowly sufficating to death, not for me thank you) and there are a LOT more issues is can cause.

I'm not trying to sounds like a DARE campaign, I just see nothing but cons with smoking (plus huge added costs).

Old 02-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Examples like this are why I've never had the urge to even smoke one.

Hope get turns it around, best wishes and thanks for the advice.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up

Funny this post turns up now. I just returned from CVS and bought some patches. I quit last year for 75 days and dumba** me started again. I did buy patches about a month ago and quit for a few days but didn't take it seriuos enough I guess. For all you that don't smoke, Great Job. For all you smokers, hang in there and try to quit. If you fail, chalk it up as practice.....I have smoked for 30 years since I was 16. I am going to give it my best this time. It can be done.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM

He's at SouthWest General then, right down the road from me. Good place to be, I was there for a short stay myself last year. Hope he gets better!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
He's at SouthWest General then, right down the road from me. Good place to be, I was there for a short stay myself last year. Hope he gets better!
Yes sir, he is at Southwest. It's convenient though that we now have the full service Southwest ER in Brunswick. He started there, then was transported by ambulance to the one in Middleburg Heights.

However, he had his stress test this afternoon and was released a few hours ago, so he's resting at home now. Not too bad considering they didn't even get him there until 11. I didn't get home until 1AM. So about 12 hrs and he was out. (Man was 71 lined with the Fuzz last night though, out looking for the Super Bowl soaks)

Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 AM

My experience as well, took an ambulance from the Brunswick ER to SWG. It was kind of neat being strapped down and transported by ambulance even though I was in a lot of pain. How is he doing now?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

It was too late for my Mom - she died of lung cancer about 2 years ago. She had the cancer for about 5 years and 3 lung cancer surgeries.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Sorry to hear about your dad =( I personally don't smoke & neither do my family bcuz we are all really allergic to it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention Smokers!