Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

300 MPG - Wingless Bird -

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 300 MPG - Wingless Bird -

[align=center]MCF Member's, would be buy/drive the below[/align][align=center]`Space/Type Vessel ? [/align][align=center][:-][/align]
Aptera: The 'Wingless Bird'
A California startup says its airplane-inspired vehicle can deliver 300 mpg for under $30,000.
ByJacob Gordon of TreeHugger.com
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
View pictures
[align=center][/align]

Slated for initial production in late 2008, the Aptera will come in all-electric and plug-in hybrid models. Its name means "wingless" in Greek, and the Aptera's body materials and aerodynamics are borrowed from light aircraft.
[align=center][/align][center]When Steve Fambro got bored building robots at a San Diego genetics company, he figured he could help keep his brain busy by building a kit airplane in his spare time. But his wife deemed the hobby too dangerous, so Fambro decided to build a car instead, one with low emissions and absurdly high mileage. Called the Aptera (Greek for "wingless"), the machine now exists as a working prototype. It has 2.5 seats, three wheels, weighs a feathery 1,500 pounds, and Fambro says his company will put the Aptera into production next October.
Specs may change between now and autumn 2008, but the current numbers look like this: 300 mpg, a price tag below $30,000, and 0-60 acceleration of 11 seconds (about a second slower than the Toyota Prius gas-electric hybrid). The Aptera will come in two versions: the all-electric Typ-1e; and the series-hybrid Typ-1h, with a small onboard gasoline engine capable of recharging the battery. According to Fambro the all-electric Aptera is expected to go roughly 120 miles on a full charge, while the series hybrid will travel 600 miles on a full battery and a full tank of gas — the equivalent of 300 mpg.
Discuss: Do you think consumers will embrace the Aptera as they did the Toyota Prius when this new vehicle hits the streets next year? Why or why not? Voice your opinion!
High Mileage + High Design

Fambro isn't trying to keep his inspiration source a secret. His MySpace page shows him beside a single-seat plane with a striking resemblance to his automotive creation. This sleek minimalism is what Jason Hill and his design firm (known simply as "11") brought to the Aptera.

Hill was scooped up by Mercedes right after graduating from Pasadena's Art Center College of Design. When he started his own firm 14 years later, Hill was doing special projects for Porsche. And when Fambro approached him with the first incarnation of the Aptera, Hill said "Let me at it."
[b]Hill and his firm were entrusted with not only evolving the fiberglass bird into a consumer-friendly

Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: 300 MPG - Wingless Bird -

Sure, why not?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 AM

oh yea.. i bet I can still get a turbo put on it. ok, turbo or not... its still a great idea!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:29 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]MCF Member's, would be buy/drive the below[/align][align=center]`Space/Type Vessel ? [/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Aptera: The 'Wingless Bird'
A California startup says its airplane-inspired vehicle can deliver 300 mpg for under $30,000.
ByJacob Gordon of TreeHugger.com[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]View pictures [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Slated for initial production in late 2008, the Aptera will come in all-electric and plug-in hybrid models. Its name means "wingless" in Greek, and the Aptera's body materials and aerodynamics are borrowed from light aircraft.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]When Steve Fambro got bored building robots at a San Diego genetics company, he figured he could help keep his brain busy by building a kit airplane in his spare time. But his wife deemed the hobby too dangerous, so Fambro decided to build a car instead, one with low emissions and absurdly high mileage. Called the Aptera (Greek for "wingless"), the machine now exists as a working prototype. It has 2.5 seats, three wheels, weighs a feathery 1,500 pounds, and Fambro says his company will put the Aptera into production next October.
Specs may change between now and autumn 2008, but the current numbers look like this: 300 mpg, a price tag below $30,000, and 0-60 acceleration of 11 seconds (about a second slower than the Toyota Prius gas-electric hybrid). The Aptera will come in two versions: the all-electric Typ-1e; and the series-hybrid Typ-1h, with a small onboard gasoline engine capable of recharging the battery. According to Fambro the all-electric Aptera is expected to go roughly 120 miles on a full charge, while the series hybrid will travel 600 miles on a full battery and a full tank of gas — the equivalent of 300 mpg.
Discuss: Do you think consumers will embrace the Aptera as they did the Toyota Prius when this new vehicle hits the streets next year? Why or why not? Voice your opinion!
High Mileage + High Design

Fambro isn't trying to keep his inspiration source a secret. His MySpace page shows him beside a single-seat plane with a striking resemblance to his automotive creation. This sleek minimalism is what Jason Hill and his design firm (known simply as "11") brought to the Aptera.

Hill was scooped up by Mercedes right after graduating from Pasadena's Art Center College of Design. When he started his own firm 14 years later, Hill was doing special projects for Porsche. And when Fambro approached him with the first incarnation of the Aptera, Hill said "Let me at it."
[b]Hill and his firm were ent

Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[align=center]Hi `Chris, I bet that was super fun building. Are U in the Pic Below.[/align][align=center]Did you get to drive it ? What part did you build ?[/align][align=center]Thanks for the link/post[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]Mishawaka's Web Page[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]2004-2005 School Year[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 PM

i would drive one...i actually think it looks pretty damn sweet, but idk how safe i would feel in it...just seems kinda small i guess but im with duane why not?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 PM

LOL i was the one that tinkered w/ the motor and helped build the website... and no i was not photograhed in the pic... my mom got ill during the awards ceremony and we had to leave...And actually... i would imagine it would be pretty safe... its made out of carbon fiber/kevlar mix... so its life half way bulletproof LOL and it was built to suit the smallest person in the class... so getting into it would be kinda tuff for anyone but them to get into it