Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>2016 Camaro shrinks, moves to Caddy ATS platform + 4 Banger <

Old 10-21-2014, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow >2016 Camaro shrinks, moves to Caddy ATS platform + 4 Banger <

2016 Camaro shrinks, moves to Caddy ATS platform
Member's, what do you think ? A four banger ?

James R. Healey, USA TODAY 6:06 p.m. EDT October 20, 2014

The 2015 Chevrolet is the last of the current generation. The 2016, on sale late next year, shrinks and moves to Cadillac ATS chassis, Chevy says.(Photo: Chevrolet)

General Motors' redesigned, 2016 Chevrolet Camaro will be smaller than the current model and will be built on GM's Cadillac ATS compact-car chassis, Chevy says.

It also might offer a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, as the rival Ford Mustang does.
The next-generation Camaro goes on sale late next year.

Chevy hasn't provided any teaser photos of the 2016 Camaro and says it doesn't plan to unveil the car at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. In fact, Chevy says, it hasn't decided where the next-gen car will make its debut.
The current Camaro, launched in 2009 as a 2010 model, uses a rear-drive chassis that's a modified version of a Commodore by Holden, GM's Australian unit.

GM says it'll stop building cars in Australia in 2017 and turn Holden into a marketing operation only, so the Camaro has to shift to a platform that'll continue in production.

Cadillac's ATS coupe, the version of the ATS that's most like a Camaro, is shorter, narrower and weighs less than the current Camaro. It's also smaller than the new-design, 2015 Ford Mustang

The ATS chassis was developed to make a car that could be a credible rival to the BMW 3-series, so moving to that setup will mean Camaro joins Mustang in emphasizing a European sporty-car driving feel.
It's a striking move for cars that have defined the American sporty coupe for decades. In fact, such cars are called "pony cars" after the pioneering Mustang launched April 17,1964.

Ford developed the 2015 Mustang to broaden its appeal to overseas buyers, hoping to boost sales globally. To target European and Asian shoppers, Ford gave the Mustang a more nimble chassis with independent rear suspension and added a 2.3-liter turbocharged, four-cylinder to the engine lineup that includes V-6 and V-8 engines.

GM's Cadillac ATS offers a turbo four, so a version of that engine would be a natural for the new Camaro, as well.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 AM
Question >What do U think of it ?

2016 Chevrolet Camaro: This Is Probably It

As the spy shots and videos continue to trickle into GM Authority‘s offices, we are beginning to get a slight idea of what the 2016 Camaro is going to look like. Thanks to the renderings by the folks at Top Speed, we’re one step closer.
We’ve seen test mules running around metro Detroit and while the Camaro doesn’t look drastically different, the proportions are better, the shape is cleaner, and that small-block exhaust note is present and accounted for. Hence, if you were hoping for a new Camaro that copped themes from other-generation Camaros, you may be disappointed to see the 1967-69 influence will continue, no doubt due to the current Camaro’s sale success (and first-place standing in the ponycar market).
Otherwise, we already know the 2016 Camaro will ride on GM’s stellar Alpha platform, whose mettle has already been proven with the Cadillac ATS and CTS. In this case, the 2016 Camaro will share a wheelbase with the Cadillac CTS, while all three will be built in Lansing, Michigan.
With the Alpha platform, the 2016 Camaro will become lighter, sleeker and more dynamic. And considering how high the bar has been raised with the 2015 Ford Mustang, the 2016 Camaro will have to do everything it can to stand out from a driving standpoint. But with what we’ve seen from the fifth-generation family in track stars such as the Camaro Z/28 and Camaro SS 1LE, we have complete faith in this.
The interior of the current Camaro harkens back to 1969, but considering the 2015 Mustang’s upgraded interior, it’s likely that Chevrolet will invest in better quality appointments. Under the hood, we wonder if Chevrolet will offer a competitor to Ford’s 2.3L EcoBoost turbo-four? Already Cadillac is using a 272-horse 2.0L turbo-four that propels the ATS to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds, so why not?
The 323-horse 3.6L V6 could be the mid-range engine at launch, but there is a new V6 around the corner to replace it. As for the V8, there’s the mighty 6.2L pushrod LT1, which first debuted in the 2014 Corvette Stingray. Transmissions are anticipated to be a seven-speed manual and an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Top Speed created a series of renderings based on camouflaged spy photos − what do you think?

Read more: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro: Photos, Renderings, Details | GM Authority

Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If they bring back a purple Camaro... I just might have to switch

Old 10-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am not big on downsizing. I hope they put a man sized seat in it! As for the four banger, I hope it is faster than the Mustang! I would rather they stick with V6'sand V8's but times are a'changing!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I don't think it's bad thing for the Camaro to drop a few pounds and get a little smaller. It is a sports car after all...one of the biggest complaints about it in magazine reviews from all the big car reviews is that it weighs to much for what it is. So I think a slightly smaller design that weighs less will be good for the Camaro.

As for the 4 cylinder option, I have no problem with it...They have the ability to make the Turbo 4 put out more power than the current standard V6 if they want...which I'm sure they will. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2.5L go Turbo and put out 320-330 HP. Personally, I would careless whether the power is coming from a Turbo 4 or a N/A V6...either way, I'm sure GM will make it quicker than the current base Camaro. And if you're going for all out performance, V8 power and rumble, it will still be there.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like the look of it but I still think it should be big. It doesn't look much smaller in that pic though. I think they should still have stayed with the v6 and v8s as well. Hopefully they don't become the new ricer cars. hahahahaha

Old 10-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I remember back when I was younger, my mother had a 4 cylinder firebird, an 83 I believe and she loved it, handled the same as the bigger motored cars but wasn't too powerful so dad didn't have to worry. I also remember my brother's camaro was a 4 cylinder standard and he enjoyed it as well.;

But...................I also remember pulling in the driveway with my 78 z28 with a 355 in it and laughing at them lol.

Different strokes for different folks, but I think gm should stick with the v6 and v8's for the sports cars and maybe offer a smaller different type of sports car along the lines of the miata for people that want the smaller motors