Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> 2014 Kia Forte Koup SX T-GDI + + More <

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb > 2014 Kia Forte Koup SX T-GDI + + More <

Hi Member's,
Some companies are still making coupe's or Koup's
This one starts at under $20 K > What do you think of it ?
Post your comments, opinion. I just wish the US Automakers would have a warranty for 10years/100K miles. (Don't we believe American cars can last that long without major problems ?)

We have a few member's that own Kia's & they seem to really like them for the $'s they invested... I hope they post on this thread.

Could this Koup beat your Monte ? What ? (LOL)
During our week with the 2014 Kia Forte Koup SX, several editors were overheard drawing comparisons with a certain iconic sport-compact from Honda. That didn't happen so much when we drove the quirky Hyundai Veloster Turbo, in which this drivetrain made its debut. But the Kia's dressier Peter Schreyer-penned exterior styling and its interior's clever riffs on the carbon-fiber theme (the dash is accented with plastic molded to evoke the light-n-tough material, and the seat bolsters feature a CF-evocative woven leather) establish an expectation of refinement that the hardware largely upholds to an almost Honda-grade level.That's high praise indeed for a carmaker that has only been selling cars in the U.S. since 1992.

Until now, the jazziest Koup engine offering was a naturally aspirated 2.4-liter four good for 173 hp and 168 lb-ft of torque. But in the industry's inexorable march toward better fuel economy, this year brings an all-direct-injected engine lineup to the Forte nameplate, with the new base 2.0-liter matching the old 2.4's hp at a slight torque deficit (154 lb-ft), and Korea's answer to Ford's EcoBoost powering the new SX: a 1.6-liter DI turbo good for 201 hp and 195 lb-ft.The little four-banger tugs the Koup around with surprising smoothness and linear power delivery beyond 2000 rpm. The Koup easily scaled a reasonably steep 800-foot grade in sixth gear without dropping below the 60-mph cruise-control set speed. There's plenty of passing power on tap, and indeed the 45-65-mph acceleration time drops from 3.9 to 3.3 seconds. Dragstrip performance is a bit less impressive. While the weight-to-power ratio improved from 16.8 to 14.7 lb/hp, taller, more evenly spaced gearing (blame CAFE) means the 0-60-mph and quarter-mile times only improved by 0.3 second to 6.8 and 15.1 seconds at 93.9 mph. By contrast, the less torquey (170 lb-ft) but equally powerful, lighter, and way-shorter-geared Civic Si coupe scoots to 60 mph in 6.1 seconds en route to a 14.6-second, 95.6-mph quarter-mile. Also worth noting: The Honda's engine note is way sweeter than the Koup's
On the twisting tarmac, the Koup flows from curve to curve with an admirable fluidity and reasonable steering heft when the variable assist is set to Sport, though the helm never tells the driver much about what's happening down at the contact patches regardless of the setting, prompting Angus MacKenzie to opine "the three position switchable weighting is a waste of electrons." Several editors complained that the seating position was too high, and that the side bolstering delivered less support than demanded by the chassis' 0.85 lateral g cornering capability. A lower seat position always heightens the impression of sportiness, and headroom was an issue for some drivers in our sunroof-equipped example

Speaking of equipment, if the Forte Koup lights your fire you should know this before sitting down in front of the order book: The base car at $19,575 is a helluva deal, undercutting the better performing base Civic Si, the far more powerful Ford Focus ST, and the more refined VW GTI by $3730, $5335, and $6340 respectively. Load it up like our tester -- with premium-package niceties including the glass sunroof, leather upholstery, a heated steering wheel, heated front seats and a cooled driver seat, not to mention tech package must-haves such as nav, auxiliary gauges, HID headlamps, and dual-zone climate controls -- and the value proposition weakens somewhat. If you can't resist all that luxury gear, at least you'll be pleased to find that it's executed exceptionally well. The touch-screen-and-buttons or voice-command UVO infotainment system is among the best in the biz. (Ed Loh: "I would die to have that system in a BMW." Kim Reynolds: "Voice recognition worked for me--'Channel 4'-- bingo, I've got Artie Shaw.") And the nav system treats you like an adult, allowing for inputs when the car is moving.At the end of the week, Mike Floyd summarized our opinion of the Koup SX pretty succinctly: "This isn't going to make you forget cars like the GTI or Civic Si, but its combo of solid power, strong brakes and decent chassis makes it entertaining." Amen.

Last edited by Space; 11-03-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:11 AM

What would you rather have `if you had to choose between
a Kia Koup - Scion tC - Honda Civic `Si - Ford Focus ST ?

Last edited by Space; 11-03-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Old 11-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

This is funny lol. I have a 2013 focus st for my daily driver and I love it. The wife has a 2010 kia forte koup for a daily and it is nice as well just lacks power but with the 2014 koup having a turbo we may be trading hers In

Good post space!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
This is funny lol. I have a 2013 focus st for my daily driver and I love it. The wife has a 2010 kia forte koup for a daily and it is nice as well just lacks power but with the 2014 koup having a turbo we may be trading hers In

Good post space!

Thanks `John, it's great to get feedback on some of my crazy auto threads. Have you ever taken your Focus St to the track or ever timed it ?

They sure can get expensive, but the reviews are all positive for Ford's Pocket High Speed Rocket.

Thanks for your words & all your great contributions to the MCF
p.s. You have a great stable of rides 2 Enjoy 4-$ure.....

Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 AM
10 Year Member

ive never had the ST at the track yet, i put a steeda shifter in it and i want to get an intake, cat back, and a tune then go to the track and see what she will do

Old 11-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Thanks `John for your reply...
Great Mod's 4-Sure > Post a update when U hit the Track...

I just watched the below super vid on the ST It would be a good race between the ST & a 06/07 Monte S.S. V8

Yours has 2 be a BLAST to drive on some of your super back roads of PA

Anyone that want to know more > Click below vid & EnJoy

Old 11-03-2013, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member

It is a blast, handles amazing!