Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like the new Impala ?
I like it
65.00%
I don't
35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

> 2014 Chevrolet Impala Demand <

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by milrlyt
No SS trim? Well, there's the final nail in the coffin of the once-great Impala. Going the way of the Malibu. So sad. I hope they can revive some old classics properly. Maybe there is some hope for the Chevy SS.
It has SS on the front, but I'm not sure it is one

Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by milrlyt
No SS trim? Well, there's the final nail in the coffin of the once-great Impala. Going the way of the Malibu. So sad. I hope they can revive some old classics properly. Maybe there is some hope for the Chevy SS.
Chevrolet disappointed a lot of Impala enthusiasts when they put the SS logo on a 4 door. When I think of an SS Impala I envision an old iron 2 door from the 60s or early 70s.

This new Impala doesn't really turn my crank (I wouldn't buy one) but the old model was tired and needed freshening up. I think it will sell well in the market, but it's just not for me. Just don't slap an SS badge on it. I think it would be too much competition for the Camaro, but a 2 door version of the new stand alone SS model would be interesting...

Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
It has SS on the front, but I'm not sure it is one
To be honest with you Space, I thought you put the SS on the front of that car.

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Chevrolet disappointed a lot of Impala enthusiasts when they put the SS logo on a 4 door. When I think of an SS Impala I envision an old iron 2 door from the 60s or early 70s.

This new Impala doesn't really turn my crank (I wouldn't buy one) but the old model was tired and needed freshening up. I think it will sell well in the market, but it's just not for me. Just don't slap an SS badge on it. I think it would be too much competition for the Camaro, but a 2 door version of the new stand alone SS model would be interesting...
Since when is an Impala SS competition to the Camaro? The Impala is a full size family car. The Camaro is a sports car. And a 2 door Impala is a Monte Carlo.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:59 PM

To be honest with you Space, I thought you put the SS on the front of that car.

No `Lou, I'm not that talented & I had to remove my old
Yard Sale Corel Photo program from my `puter
My friend who fixed my `puter said it was not compatible
I've tried using `Paint, but it's very limited.
When I do get another puter, I will invest in a Photo Shop
program so that I can play again with pic's
I never had a coloring book when I was wittle & enjoyed
mess'in with online pic's (LOL)
I think the new Impala looks `gangster & I do like the rims

Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Taz
Since when is an Impala SS competition to the Camaro? The Impala is a full size family car. The Camaro is a sports car. And a 2 door Impala is a Monte Carlo.
Right now if you want a coupe (2 door) from GM you have your choice of the Camaro or the 'Vette. If Chevy introduced a 2 door coupe that even hinted at performance (like a 2 door 'SS' or Impala/New Monte ) in a lower price bracket I think it would hurt the sales of the Camaro. That's what I meant by 'competition'.

Originally Posted by Space
...I've tried using `Paint, but it's very limited.
Do a search for Gimp. It is freeware and a pretty good graphics program to boot.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Thanks Seattle `Mike for the program `tip `>I apprciate 4-Sure...
================================================== ========

I really like the below coupe (& I'm high-jack'in my own thread) LOL
< Click<CLICK font vid)< (short>

^^ I'd like the Black FR-s In above vid (WoW)
Click above link 2 view..

I wish GM (Chevy) could make something like the below
in the same price range I think they could ?

2013 Scion FR-S

September 24, 2012 / By: Jake Holmes, Jennifer Misaros / Photos by Courtesy of Manufacturer

14 Photos View full gallery

2013 Scion FR-S specs
Price Range: $25,300
Base Engine: 200 hp /2.0L H4
MPG Range: 25 city / 34 hwy

Check out photos, specifications and pricing for all vehicles in our buyer's guide.
Looking for the best deal? Spend less time at the dealership by receiving a no-hassle new car quote.
Want to save money on your next auto purchase? Start by receiving a no-hassle quote on auto financing.
Save money on your car insurance! Start by receiving a no-hassle quote on auto insurance.

Scion FR-S Research
<!-- To implement the Main image and other right side item-->
It's sad that we live in a world where a 200-hp, rear-wheel-drive sports car is panned by Internet commenters as "slow" and "lame." Of course, those people haven't driven the Scion FR-S. Anyone who does will quickly realize the car is huge fun to drive. The Scion FR-S managed to put a huge grin on my face within an hour of getting the keys. It's plenty fast, and sounds incredible thanks to the intake resonator sending a vocal growl to the cabin. The six-speed manual is a great partner for hasty upshifts or aggressive down-changes. The snug bucket seats keep you from sliding around when cornering quickly. The steering is quick enough that you can keep your hands in place around most turns. I didn't want to stop driving the FR-S, and was really unhappy when I had to turn in the keys.
I spent an inordinate amount of time examining the Scion's engine bay and interior parts. It's clear the car was designed for easy maintenance. There's a Scion-branded screwdriver included in the trunk, screws to remove interior panels are easily visible, and almost every engine component or sensor can easily be identified and reached from above. I have a feeling it will be supremely easy to maintain and modify the FR-S, a boon for enthusiasts buying out-of-warranty models. The lone exception, owing to the boxer engine design, is changing the spark plugs. It appears that doing so requires unbolting the engine mounts to gain adequate access.

Jake Holmes, Associate Web Editor

<HR>

On paper, the FR-S makes an excellent case for itself: It's a lightweight, compact, rear-wheel-drive sports car with 200 horsepower and a starting price of $24,200. Specs don't tell the whole story though so I was eager to drive the new Scion.
Even before I turned the key, I was taken by the FR-S's chiseled, purposeful shape. To me, it looks like the love child of a Ferrari 458 Italia and a Nissan 370Z -- not bad company for a mid-$20,000 sports car -- and because the exterior is totally devoid of chrome or other fussy ornamentation the sleek lines take center stage. The simple, thin-spoked wheels are also really nice and perfectly complement the svelte sheetmetal.
The interior is a little more reflective of the FR-S's low price but the bean counters certainly weren't given carte blanche. While cheap-looking plastics are not difficult to find, stylish touches like contrast stitching on the seats, doors, steering wheel, and shifter, as well as sports-car gear like aluminum pedals and grippy, perforated leather on the steering wheel -- all of which come standard -- help give the cabin a sporty but polished look.
Once I slid behind the wheel, it was quickly obvious to me that the FR-S is a legitimate sports car. The 2.0-liter flat four produces a nice muted growl and provides plenty of grunt. I wouldn't exactly call the FR-S fast but because the driving experience is largely unfiltered it feels faster than it is. Every driver interface has a pleasing mechanical feel that requires a firm deliberate action to use but without being so heavy that the car comes off feeling crude.
The FRS also rides quite well for such a low-slung car that wears low-profile rubber; there's only minimal harshness over even big obstacles like railroad tracks. I didn't push it hard enough to really test its handling capabilities but the excellent chassis balance and roadholding capabilities are apparent even in everyday driving.
Although I haven't driven it on a track, my time with the FRS on the street leads me to believe that it will be a popular car with the "race on Sunday, drive to work on Monday" crowd. And because it starts at such a relatively reasonable $24,000, it's attainable, even to those on a fairly limited budget.
Jennifer Misaros, Managing Editor, Digital Platforms

Next Page

Read more:

Last edited by Space; 10-09-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Pictures removed and transferred to another thread...

Last edited by Space; 10-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The scion FRS/subaru BRZ is pretty nice, and i never realized that the only 2 door cars are the camaro and corvette. GM needs something like the frs.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Right now if you want a coupe (2 door) from GM you have your choice of the Camaro or the 'Vette. If Chevy introduced a 2 door coupe that even hinted at performance (like a 2 door 'SS' or Impala/New Monte ) in a lower price bracket I think it would hurt the sales of the Camaro. That's what I meant by 'competition'.
I have to respectfully disagree Mike.

Let's forget about the Corvette for the moment since it's aimed more at the upper scale sports car buyer. Let's focus on the Camaro and it's potential competition.

The Camaro existed for decades along side other cars. Like the 1980's Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, the Grand National. In addition to that, the original run of the GTO, the Pontiac Trans Am, etc. The point? GM's line up used to have tons of powerful cars with RWD V8 engines competing with the Camaro. Why did the Camaro last that long with all that competition? Because of the target audience.

Someone who wants a Camaro isn't going to buy an Impala SS or a Monte Carlo SS. The Camaro is completely different from an Impala or a Monte. An Impala is a family car. The Monte Carlo is considered "luxury sport". The Monte and Impala are bigger cars than a Camaro. And the ride and handling are set up completely different from a Camaro.

The 2013 Impala starts at about $25,000. The 2013 Camaro starts at about $23,000. I checked out GM's pricing for brand new 2013 Impalas and 2013 Camaros. They're in the same price range. But as you can see, the Impala is slightly more expensive than the Camaro when you compare trimlines. So the idea that a V8 Impala SS would be cheaper than a Camaro isn't true. Because I don't believe for a second that GM would suddenly lower the price of the Impala. If anything, GM traditionally OVER prices their cars.

You can also look at Chrysler in this debate. Chrysler has a hemi V8 in both the Charger, and the Challenger. One isn't really hurting the sales of the other. Because the cars are aimed at a different target audience.

Or you can look at people who have sold their 7th gen Monte Carlo SS to get a new Camaro or a Mustang. The comments I've heard is that they loved the ride and power of their Monte. But it just can't compare to their new Camaro (or Mustang).

I completely respect your opinion Mike. But I have to disagree. I don't think an Impala SS (4 door) or a new Monte Carlo SS (2 door) would significantly hurt the Camaro's sales.

I think the Challenger and Mustang hurt Camaro sales more than a new V8 Monte or Impala would.

I'm interested in people's opinions on this though. We don't all have to agree. It's your opinion.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry
Looks to much like a buick..LOL

It is a Buick - Stupid GM!

Quick Reply: > 2014 Chevrolet Impala Demand <