Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

-2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S vs 2012 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster + more -

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up -2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S vs 2012 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster + more -

Below are for Lotto Winner's or those with Big $'s to spend
If you had the $'s ? Which one would you choose ?
2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet vs 2012 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster - Comparison Test

Sunshine and Speed: Getting air in two ultra-quick, exclusive drop-tops.

By Douglas Kott / Photos by Barry Hathaway
May 2012

Slideshow >>
20 Hot Convertibles >>

<!--/photos-video-wrapper-->
<!-- /Main photo wrapper --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->Road Test Data >>
Self-indulgence, your convertibles have arrived. Porsche’s 911 Carrera S Cabriolet is slick, its power top essentially a hard, Z-fold endoskeleton sheathed with fabric that yields a smooth, almost Speedster-like roofline. The Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster is, as British design dictates, more traditional, its bowed top stowing electrohydraulically beneath an articulated cover that incorporates leather-wrapped headrest fairings. For a drive that assaulted our senses and follicles alike, Managing Editor Andrew Bornhop and I grabbed the keys and set off on a 400-mile trek that involved ridge-running into Big Bear’s mile-high, pine-redolent air, then descending north to the magnificent desolation of a sunbaked lake bed in Lucerne Valley.

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet

The Porsche is a precision instrument, its 400-bhp flat-6 barking in response to the slightest tickle of the throttle, its PDK Doppel-clutch 7-speed automatically blipping and downshifting brilliantly, as if a tiny Hurley Haywood were inside personally changing the gears. There’s phenomenal grip—1.02g—those forces fed through aluminum suspension to a steel unibody whose snare-drum tautness faithfully communicates every nuance in the road, a perfect complement to the feedback-rich steering.

Although its acceleration doesn’t quite match the Carrera S Coupe we tested (February 2012), it’s still bloody quick: 3.8 seconds to 60 mph and 12.1 sec. in the quarter mile, both figures 0.3 sec. arrears of the fixed-roof car.
There’s a firmness, a seriousness to everything you touch inside, from the bear hug of the sports seats to the regimented detents of the gear selector. The ride itself suggests athletic ability even in normal mode, and selecting Sport or Sport+ settings requires both renal fortitude and a road worth attacking. We’re a bit put off, though, by the high center console and the high level of clutter and switchgear fussiness in the 911’s interior. True, the bones of 911 DNA are there (basic dash architecture, 5-dial instrument cluster, “key” on the left), but some of the honesty and openness of past 911s has been sacrificed on the altar of technology.

That said, there’s a specialness here unmatched by any other car, in the tightly wound flat-6 gnashing behind your back, the slight bobbing ride motions felt up front that come from such a rear-biased weight distribution, the way that the front tires don’t just succumb to understeer at the limit…they seem to actively reach out and locate that extra bit of grip.
The Aston? If the 911’s a whippet, the Aston is a bulldog…shorter, squatter, fitted with a dry-sump 420-bhp 4.7-liter V-8 transferring power to a rear-mounted 7-speed transaxle via a carbon-fiber driveshaft. Our car had the “Carbon Fibre Bodypack” option, whose deep front splitter and gorgeous rear fascia/valance impart the look of the more powerful Vantage S.

2012 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster

This bulldog has impeccable manners, though. For 2012, the V8 Vantage gets bigger brakes (15.0-in. front rotors and 6-piston calipers), a quicker 15.0:1 steering ratio and 10-mm-wider tires. The Roadster has negligible body roll, a wonderful, locked-down cornering feel and is confident in transitions, although at 0.94g it can’t match the Porsche’s ultimate grip. Its biggest dynamic shortcoming is the Graziano-supplied 7-speed Sportshift II transmission, a paddle-shift single-clutch gearbox that, while delivering perfectly snappy shifts near redline, is annoyingly clunky and rather languid when simply cruising around. At the track, with its exhaust bypass uncorking the V-8’s gloriously blatty note, the Roadster clicked off a 4.5-sec. 0–60 run and posted a 12.9-sec. quarter mile.

Peruse the data and you’ll see that the Aston, while a seriously good performer, takes a back seat to the Porsche in every performance contest. But you’d be missing the point judging this Brit solely by the numbers. Inside, instead of hard-edged German angst, you’re coddled with warm, Old School British craftsmanship. The seats cradle with comfortable support, the adjusters on the sides of the center console. The aroma of leather is strong, the fat contrasting stitching is tactile as well as visual, and the detail work is just amazing. Take the Alcantara-lined A-pillars and windshield header, for example. Its just-so sun visors have exquisite metal-trimmed vanity mirrors, and are attached with fittings that would make a watchmaker proud. The ignition key? A crystal-looking affair that fits in a slot at the top of the piano-black center stack. The flyaway handbrake between the seat and the sill is another enticing element, a leather-wrapped drumstick with a polished handle. The 911’s plastic pushbutton equivalent is clinical by comparison.

It’s really horses for courses with the Aston and Porsche, the former a bit more dignified and stately, the latter the uncontested performance champ. Each is exciting in its own way, each a coveted machine to have when the sun shines and your favorite two-lane beckons.

<STYLE type=text/css>table#specs td {padding:3px 3px 3px 3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #000;}table#specs {border:1px solid #000;}</STYLE>
<TABLE id=specs border=0 width=420><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(148,18,10); COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)"></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(148,18,10); COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)">2012 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(148,18,10); COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)">2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet</TD></TR><TR><TD>List price</TD><TD>$138,120</TD><TD>$108,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>Price as tested</TD><TD>$147,595</TD><TD>$140,375</TD></TR><TR><TD>Curb weight</TD><TD>3845 lb</TD><TD>3540 lb</TD></TR><TR><TD>Weight dist</TD><TD>48/52</TD><TD>38/62</TD></TR><TR><TD>Layout</TD><TD>front engine/rear drive</TD><TD>rear engine/rear drive</TD></TR><TR><TD>Engine</TD><TD>4.7-liter dohc 32V V-8</TD><TD>3.8-liter dohc 24V F-6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Transmission</TD><TD>7-sp paddle-shift manual</TD><TD>7-sp paddle-shift manual</TD></TR><TR><TD>Horsepower</TD><TD>420 bhp @ 7300 rpm</TD><TD>400 bhp @ 7400 rpm</TD></TR><TR><TD>Torque</TD><TD>346 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm</TD><TD>325 lb-ft @ 5600 rpm</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tires</TD><TD>Bridgestone Potenza RE050A; 245/40ZR-19 f,
285/35ZR-19 r

</TD><TD>Pirelli P Zero; 245/35ZR-20 f, 295/30ZR-20 r</TD></TR><TR><TD>0–60 mph</TD><TD>4.5 sec</TD><TD>3.8 sec</TD></TR><TR><TD>0–100 mph</TD><TD>10.5 sec</TD><TD>9.0 sec</TD></TR><TR><TD>0–1320 ft (1/4 mile)</TD><TD>12.9 sec @ 111.5 mph </TD><TD>12.1 sec @ 116.9 mph </TD></TR><TR><TD>Top speed</TD><TD>180 mph</TD><TD>186 mph</TD></TR><TR><TD>Braking, 60–0 mph</TD><TD>126 ft</TD><TD>112 ft</TD></TR><TR><TD>Braking, 80–0 mph</TD><TD>215 ft </TD><TD>194 ft</TD></TR><TR><TD>Skidpad</TD><TD>0.94g</TD><TD>1.02g</TD></TR><TR><TD>Slalom</TD><TD>69.1 mph</TD><TD>71.3 mph</TD></TR><TR><TD>Our mileage</TD><TD>14.3 mpg</TD><TD>16.1 mpg</TD></TR><TR><TD>EPA city/hwy</TD><TD>14/21 mpg</TD><TD>19/27 mpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- right column --><!-- at a glance --><!-- /at a glance --><!-- car make:Porsche Car Buying Guide- RoadandTrack.com has Porsche Car Buying Tools \nmake state: published \ncar model:Porsche 911 Car Buying Guide- Get a Quote on the Porsche 911 at RoadandTrack.com- Car Buying \nmodel state: published \nshowlink model: \nrelated_items count: 5-->TOP COMPETITORSPorsche 911 »

» Overview<!-- » User Ratings -->» Photos & 360° View» Specs» Prices w/Options<!-- » Get Quote -->
More

<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=3 width=186><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 Detroit Auto Show
2012 Porsche 911 Cabrio >>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>First Look
2012 Porsche 911 Cabriolet >>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>First Look
20 Hot Convertibles: 2012 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster >>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 Geneva Auto Show
2012 Aston Martin V8 Vantage >>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- /rt-col -->
<!-- tags, pager -->Pages: 1 Photos

Last edited by Space; 06-02-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

I love Astons!! My dream cars! Aston v8 for sure for me!

Athough for that price, id splurge a little for my DB9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WANT A DB9!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
I love Astons!! My dream cars! Aston v8 for sure for me!

Athough for that price, id splurge a little for my DB9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WANT A DB9!
Yes `Devin, the DB9 is `Beautiful motor art 4-Sure

For the $'s, I do like the below also "I'd like to put a Monte Carlo Body on this 3.8L - 530 H.P.Monster 4-Sure!"
Now that would `Freak out some people 4-Sure LOL

2012 Nissan GT-R

(see future models)

Select StyleChoose Style: All StylesR&T Overview:

When you build one of today's most potent performance cars, how do you make it better? Easy. Up the horsepower, which is what Nissan has done with the GT-R. By increasing turbocharger boost pressure, modifying valve timing and the fuel-air ratio, then cutting exhaust backpressure, the 3.8-liter V-6 ups horsepower from 485 to 530 and torque from 434 lb.-ft. to 448...laid down via the ATTESA E-TS all-wheel-drive system. To go with the added power comes revised exterior styling, which cuts the coefficient of drag to 0.26 and adds 10 percent more downforce. There are two GT-R models, Premium and, new for 2012, the Black Edition. The latter has a unique seat trim, interior colors and 6-spoke wheels. Two exterior colors are added: Deep Blue Pearl and Jet Black.

Last edited by Space; 06-02-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:25 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Love the Aston but there DBS is sweeter

Old 06-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Old 06-03-2012, 06:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

nissan gtr, NICE! for sure!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Ram pickup leads group of Most Dangerous Cars In America
Don't get me started on this!!!

Every year some bs comes down the pipes and it is publicized that a bunch of trucks are the most dangerous vehicles to be driving. There is zero truth to this. When you read about it in depth they are only claiming these vehicles as the worst in their class and on those grounds they are "scored" low. Then some secret conspirator writes an article implying that a Ram is more dangerous to transport your family in than a Toyota Yaris. That is totally ridiculous! And then the push is on to get us all into smaller, cheaper-to-build car that cost us the same money.

Safecarguide.com rates car safety and displays rating from multiple international sources. Here is an important quote regarding their scoring:
"The most significant safety determinant, worth as much as all the others put together, is weight. It is so important that it would overwhelm all other factors if included in the assessment." Link here

Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Although slighty slower, I'd rather have the Vantage over the 911. The style, build and craftmanship are more appealing to me.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Don't get me started on this!!!

Every year some bs comes down the pipes and it is publicized that a bunch of trucks are the most dangerous vehicles to be driving. There is zero truth to this. When you read about it in depth they are only claiming these vehicles as the worst in their class and on those grounds they are "scored" low. Then some secret conspirator writes an article implying that a Ram is more dangerous to transport your family in than a Toyota Yaris. That is totally ridiculous! And then the push is on to get us all into smaller, cheaper-to-build car that cost us the same money.

Safecarguide.com rates car safety and displays rating from multiple international sources. Here is an important quote regarding their scoring:
"The most significant safety determinant, worth as much as all the others put together, is weight. It is so important that it would overwhelm all other factors if included in the assessment." Link here

LoL `Brent , I thought of you when I posted that link
In Life, I don't believe everything I read 4-Sure...I think some writers are burned `out or smok'in some weird head confusing `stuff... & just filling in some empty spaces in attempts to justify their position.(I did post that link in the wrong thread....2 much `space coffee all night....

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Although slighty slower, I'd rather have the Vantage over the 911. The style, build and craftmanship are more appealing to me.

Hi `Mike, I like them both, but I would also pick the Vantage over the 911 or get the DB9 Thanks for your post/words/opinion & sharing

Last edited by Space; 06-03-2012 at 07:40 AM.