Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2012 monte carlo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Indeed there was an SS Chevelle wagon.

It seems like there is about a 4-6 month pattern of someone posting a bit on this forum about a potential return of the Monte Carlo.

And it's time for me to make my traditional statement as well.

Someone already posted a 1974 Nova 4 door.

Gregg probably knows how Dodge put its Charger name plate to shame in 1984.

Ford-Mercury let its Cougar go from an up-class V8 powered luxury car that was comparable to the Mustang to a car comporable to a Thunderchicken to this POS in the 2000s.

So lets make a fwe things official once again...

1) The Monte Carlo is not coming back. I've even heard the Impala is being dropped to push the Malibu.

2) They've got the Camaro, the Corvette, the Malibu, the Volt, the pick up truck, and there is just no room for a Monte Carlo unless it is either a mini van or some weird @$$ cross over vehicle.

The Nova fans want their Nova back. The Chevelle guys want their car back. We're a dying breed here. Let the car have the honor it once had and let the Monte Carlo rest on its laurels, like the Chevelle, Bel Air, the Nova, and the Chevette.
Duane I do agree that I wasn't happy with the Charger name applied to a two door Dodge Omni, but in fairness that car was true to its roots. It was a two door and it did have the most powerful engine in the fleet available under the hood even if it was front wheel drive. The ones equipped with the Turbo I and Turbo II as well as the Shelby package cars and Carroll Shelby cars were rockets. If you ever get the opportunity to drive one don't pass it up. And yes there were Chrysler package Shelby cars and then there were Carrol Shelby Industries Shelby cars. Many people forget but from 1966 thru to at least 1973 the base engine for a Dodge Charger was a slant six and although quite rare now many left the assembly line just that way. I think the new Charger should be called a Dodge Coronet.

Are you saying there was a four door Nova SS. I never had seen or heard of that one. Can you post pics of that and the Chevelle SS wagon.
The Chevette was a car I don't mind forgetting about although I did have one.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Indeed there was an SS Chevelle wagon.

It seems like there is about a 4-6 month pattern of someone posting a bit on this forum about a potential return of the Monte Carlo.

And it's time for me to make my traditional statement as well.

Someone already posted a 1974 Nova 4 door.

Gregg probably knows how Dodge put its Charger name plate to shame in 1984.

Ford-Mercury let its Cougar go from an up-class V8 powered luxury car that was comparable to the Mustang to a car comporable to a Thunderchicken to this POS in the 2000s.

So lets make a fwe things official once again...

1) The Monte Carlo is not coming back. I've even heard the Impala is being dropped to push the Malibu.

2) They've got the Camaro, the Corvette, the Malibu, the Volt, the pick up truck, and there is just no room for a Monte Carlo unless it is either a mini van or some weird @$$ cross over vehicle.

The Nova fans want their Nova back. The Chevelle guys want their car back. We're a dying breed here. Let the car have the honor it once had and let the Monte Carlo rest on its laurels, like the Chevelle, Bel Air, the Nova, and the Chevette.
You forgot the Chevy Sonic, and Spark. Chevy won't drop the Impala, the Impala just got a completely new facelift and it looks badass! It's not a concept, it is indeed the upcoming 2013 model

Old 12-31-2011, 09:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Agreed. Also there's a friend of mine at the local chevy dealer said they are bring back the Caprice RWD V8 of the G8 platform.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Agreed. Also there's a friend of mine at the local chevy dealer said they are bring back the Caprice RWD V8 of the G8 platform.
They already brought it back, it's been back for a while, just right now it's only available to the Government. Yes it is based on the G8 platform, you can clearly see the resemblance.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
Probably not going to happen - the article is almost a year old.

Exactly what I was thinking. Article was posted in February 2011. Car manufacturers routinely have models in other countries that never make it to the north american market.

GM has too much invested in the Camaro to have a Monte competing in the performance department. If the Monte was to return today, I think GM would make it a small to mid size economy car. Most likely replacing another nameplate. Like say, for example, re-naming the Cruze the Monte Carlo. Just for the sake of using a familiar name to boost sales. That's just a hypothetical situation though. I don't think they'd actually do it.

Besides, GM seems to have a love affair with 4-door cars right now.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:08 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

GM would have to make it a mid sized coupe - now they have nothing to compete with the 2 door Accord and 2 door Altima (I'm not sure if they still make those models - don't follow the Japanese car market). The only thing GM has is the Caddie and who could afford that?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by jwjones
You forgot the Chevy Sonic, and Spark. Chevy won't drop the Impala, the Impala just got a completely new facelift and it looks badass! It's not a concept, it is indeed the upcoming 2013 model
You mean the Chevy Sonic that's missing brake pads?

Whoops: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Recalled for Possible Missing Front Brake Pads - WOT on Motor Trend

Besides if they drop the Impala, car rental places and NASCAR would throw a hissy fit..

One things for sure though, if the Monte came back and used the Zeta platform, it can't have tiny windows and huge blindspots like the Camaro has..

Also, I think that Dodge brought shame to the Charger nameplate again in the 2000s when they made it a 4-door.. It's okay though, because the Challenger is still closer to the original than the Mustang or Camaro (in my opinion)..

Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM

I wish Chevy would bring back the Monte Carlo. I would buy one. My 05 SS is getting a little long in the tooth. I would just hate to see it as an "economy car" though. I want a rwd Monte with an LS3. That would be a car worth spending money on.

That's not likely to happen though. They have a lot of development invested in the new Camaro although I don't see a cross market there. I would have bought a Monte before the Camaro, but most of the people I know with 5th Gens would not have.

I'm considering a 416 stroker for my Camaro though. The LS3 would make an interesting replacement for the 383 in my 79 Monte.

btw, The "blind spots" in the new Camaro are a myth propagated by Mustang drivers tired of being smoked by the 5th gen Camaros.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by dcarlos55
I wish Chevy would bring back the Monte Carlo. I would buy one. My 05 SS is getting a little long in the tooth. I would just hate to see it as an "economy car" though. I want a rwd Monte with an LS3. That would be a car worth spending money on.

That's not likely to happen though. They have a lot of development invested in the new Camaro although I don't see a cross market there. I would have bought a Monte before the Camaro, but most of the people I know with 5th Gens would not have.

I'm considering a 416 stroker for my Camaro though. The LS3 would make an interesting replacement for the 383 in my 79 Monte.

btw, The "blind spots" in the new Camaro are a myth propagated by Mustang drivers tired of being smoked by the 5th gen Camaros.
Maybe so, but I know I had the hardest time seeing out of it when I test drove one last year..

It handled (the Camaro) really well, but between the high belt line, and a portion of the rear tire humps in the side windows, I felt uneasy..

Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My cousin (a GM employee) test drove a convertible Camaro last summer. He said the blind spots in the convertible are horrible. Even the Chevy dealership I go to admits that.

Quick Reply: 2012 monte carlo?