Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>? 1969 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Monster-Motored Mystery <?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up >? 1969 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Monster-Motored Mystery <?

1969 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Monster-Motored Mystery

Restored 16,000-mile Stingray has holes in its history Scott Ross Dec 17, 2014 `Space loves it & doesn't care about the holes in it's history Do You like it ?

View Full Gallery

Several months back, we brought you the story of an L88-powered ’69 Corvette Stingray (“The Pride of Paoli, July ’14”).
How about another C3 powered by the highest-output RPO version of the engine Hot Rod magazine once called “Chevrolet’s Mystery V8”?
The mystery here isn’t in its closed-chamber-head-equipped 427, but in the car’s ownership history.

2/9
According to Lee Jones, son of current owner Scott Jones, this Shark swam to Chicago after it rolled out of the St. Louis assembly plant. “It came from Jennings Chevrolet in Chicago,” he says. “The original owner was the service manager there, and a Corvette guy.”
This Stingray would not suffer the indignities of a first owner who didn’t know about the L88’s cold-weather grumpiness or its appetite for 103-octane premium gasoline. Lee continues, “He ordered it to have something a little bit different than everybody else, and a little bit faster, and it fit his lifestyle at the time.”
Whether that included quarter-mile blasts at US 30 Dragstrip near Gary, Indiana, or Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, Wisconsin, or road course runs at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, or Blackhawk Farms Raceway in South Beloit, Illinois is unknown.
It’s also unknown when that original owner sold it, or why. Lee says its history from that point to well into the 1980s is a mystery, one that research that he and his father, Scott, have yet to solve. “That is where we’re not sure,” says Lee, “because from there the story goes to a point where, in the late ’80s, the car was brought into a salvage yard in the Chicago area, South Side Liquidators.”
That yard dealt with “distressed” cars and trucks. “The vehicles that went into South Side Liquidators were typically stolen, or insurance-recovery cars,” he says. “This car came in without any police record, or anything.” But it was, as far as anyone can tell, complete.

3/9
According to Lee’s research, another owner then entered the picture. “The car was thought to be owned by a Dave Ruthers or David Carruthers,” states Lee. “Possibly, at that time and given some of the drug situations going on in the Chicago area—and this is hearsay—there’s some thought that somehow a drug dealer got his hands on the car, and Carruthers—when someone got into trouble—had a way of making these cars go away for a while.”
If that was the case, it was stashed away when Federal and Illinois law regarding the assets of those in the “contraband commodities” business were toughening up to include seizure and forfeiture of anything purchased with illegally derived funds.
Lee picks up the story. “The car went to Crestwood Car Pool, and it stayed there for several years, and then it became owned by the owner of Crestwood Car Pool, Danny Albright.” It’s likely the ownership transfer then was from a mechanic’s lien put on the car for an unpaid storage bill. Lee adds that Danny Albright, who’d obtained a salvage title for it, later sold it to George Ball, who owned a shop called George’s Auto Rebuilders.
All this time, the car was likely not regarded as anything special. “At this point, we’re not sure that those three gentlemen knew what the car was,” notes Lee. “To them, it may have been just another 427 Corvette.”
But someone knew what was under that Shark’s original no-hit fiberglass skin, as Lee continues. “George’s son had a friend by the name of Paul Petrick. He purchased the car, then he sold it to Jerry Janota, and at that point Jerry realized what the car was.”
That was in 1998, but by then a critical original component was gone. “Paul had installed a new gas tank, and threw away the old one,” says Lee. “Jerry asked him about it, but Paul didn’t know what happened to the tank sticker.”

7/9

8/9
A few months later, Kevin Mackay entered the picture when he bought it from Jerry. “The car had 16,000 original miles on it, a totally original interior, engine, transmission, frame tags, and rearend—as real as it could be,” recalls Kevin. “It had the original tires, and it was an original factory side exhaust car.”
Kevin then sold it, then later bought it back and eventually sold it to Scott Jones. “He was looking for another project, and he wanted an L88 car,” says Kevin, who adds, “I didn’t want to sell it, but I had things that I had to do, and I was looking for other cars. I sold it to him, and he had us completely restore it.”
Two years later, when it rolled out of Kevin’s Corvette Repair shop in Valley Stream, New York, it was more than ready for the show judges. “In 2013, this car won NCRS Top Flight, and it was also certified Gold with the original engine” Kevin says proudly. “From there, it went to Chicago, where it won the Triple Diamond award.”
Since then, this C3 has logged very few miles under its own power, and those original bias-ply tires are a big reason why. “The most we’ve driven it is off the trailer at Bloomington Gold, onto the judging field, and then back on the trailer,” says Lee. “This is not a car that I can drive, and not have to worry about something happening to it. This is a car that’s fun to own because it’s a piece of history.”
If the thought of discovering an as-yet-undiscovered L88 strikes your fancy, Lee has this advice. “Do your homework. I think there are still more ‘diamonds in the rough’ to be found. With the Corvette market now, and what L88s are doing, a lot of people are looking.”
You just might find one of those “430hp” screamers in a garage or barn, waiting for you to unlock its mysteries.

9/9

MORE PHOTOS

VIEW FULL GALLERY

Old 12-18-2014, 10:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was at the touchless carwash the other day and I saw this very same model and year corvette there...it of course was triple black 4 speed (My fave vette) as far as the L88 4 speed models..

Of course my absolute favorite corvette...

Is the 1963 Corvette split window Stingray 427 fuel injected 4 speed Triple Black Of course !!

Old 12-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

The temptation to drive it more than what it is driven now, I think would be too great for me. It is nice hearing stories of cars such as this, the proverbial "Diamond in the rough" that has been overlooked for years and owned by people that truly don't know how special and rare it is, but just the fact that it survived, basically unmolested by previous owners is extremely rare.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
I was at the touchless carwash the other day and I saw this very same model and year corvette there...it of course was triple black 4 speed (My fave vette) as far as the L88 4 speed models..

Of course my absolute favorite corvette...

Is the 1963 Corvette split window Stingray 427 fuel injected 4 speed Triple Black Of course !!

Hi Mod `David,
I know there's been some conversions (aftermarket implants) of the 63 StingRay, but it wasn't a option in 1963 (I had to check to make sure & thought that it wasn't an option) You are just to excited about getting your new parts for your "Z") LOL.

I've really learned a lot about the Chevy engines over the years on the MCF + from my grandfather...He is a Corvette Enthusiast 4>Really > Sure...I would love to have a 63 StingRay with a "427" (Even `if it was a implant)...
Thanks for keeping me on my toes & learning more each new day I visit the MCF

All 1963 cars had 327cid engines, which made 250 hp (186 kW) standard, with optional variants that made 300 hp (224 kW), 340 hp (254 kW) and 360 hp (268 kW). The most powerful engine was the Rochester fuel injected 327cid V8, which made 360 hp (272 kW). Options available on the C2 included AM-FM radio (mid 1963), air conditioning and leather upholstery. New for the 1963 model year was an optional electronic ignition, the breakerless magnetic pulse-triggered Delcotronic, first offered by Pontiac on some 1963 models.[9]
The first Corvette with the "427 c.i." was
427[edit]

L36 427 in a 1966Chevrolet Corvette

L71 427 in a 1967Chevrolet Corvette

The highly successful and versatile 427-cubic-inch (426.7 cuin) (7.0 L) version of the Mark IV engine was introduced in 1966 as a production engine option for full-sized Chevrolets and Corvettes. The bore was increased to 4.25 inches (108 mm), with power ratings varying widely depending on the application. There were smooth running versions with hydraulic lifters suitable for powering the family station wagon, as well as rough idling, high-revving solid lifter models usually applied to a minimally equipped, plain looking, two door Biscayne sedan fitted with the 425 horsepower (317 kW) version of the 427 - (RPO L72), resulting in a vehicle whose performance was the polar opposite of a taxi. This lightweight, big-block Biscayne was also commonly referred to as "Bisquick".[citation needed]
Perhaps the ultimate 427 for street applications was the 435 horsepower (324 kW) L71 version available in 1967 to 1969 Corvettes, and in the Italian Iso Grifo. This engine was identical to the 425 hp (317 kW) L72 427 (first introduced in 1966), but was fitted with three two-barrel carburetors (known as "Tri-Power"), in lieu of the L72's single four-barrel. Both engines used the same high lift, long duration, high overlap camshaft and large-port, cast-iron heads in order to maximize cylinder head airflow (and, hence, engine power) at elevated engine operating speeds. Consequently, the engines offered very similar performance and resulted in a car whose performance was described by one automotive journalist as "the ultimate in sheer neck-snapping overkill". Typical magazine road tests of the day yielded zero to 60 miles per hour (97 km/h) times under 6 seconds and quarter-miles in the mid 13 second/106 MPH range for both the L72 and L71.[citation needed]
In 2011, Super Chevy Magazine conducted a chassis dyno test of a well documented, production-line stock, but well-tuned, L-72 "COPO" Camaro, and recorded only 287 peak HP at the wheels, demonstrating how exaggerated the old "gross" HP ratings actually were.[5]
The RPO L89 was an L71 fitted with aluminum heads. While this option produced no power advantage, it did reduce engine (and hence, vehicle) weight by roughly 75 pounds (34 kg). This resulted in superior vehicle weight distribution for improved handling, although the difference in straight line performance was negligible.
The 1969 ZL1 version of the 427 engine was developed primarily for Can-Am racing, where it was very successful in cars like the Chaparral 2F and McLaren M8B. The ZL1 had specifications nearly identical to the production L88 version of the 427, but featured an all-aluminum cylinder block in addition to aluminum cylinder heads, which dropped total engine weight into small-block Chevrolet territory (approx. 575 lb or 261 kg dressed).[citation needed] The engine was also fitted with the new open combustion chamber cylinder heads, a light weight aluminum water pump, a camshaft that was slightly "hotter" than the L88's, and a specially tuned aluminum intake manifold. Like the L88, the ZL1 required 103 octane (RON) (minimum) fuel, used an unshrouded radiator, and had poor low speed idle qualities - all of which made the two engines largely unsuitable for street use. (102 octane RON [Sunoco 260] represented the highest octane gasoline sold at common retail stations.)
As impressive as the ZL1 was in its day and despite the "larger than life legends" surrounding it, actual engine dyno tests of a certified production line stock ZL1 revealed 376SAE net HP, with output swelling to 524 Gross HP with the help of optimal carb and ignition tuning, open long tube racing headers, and with no power-sapping engine accessories or air cleaner in place.[6] A second engine dyno test conducted on a second production line stock (but recently rebuilt and partially blueprinted) ZL1 revealed nearly identical figures for the various "gross" conditions.[7][dead link]
Period magazine tests of the ZL1 were quite rare due to the rarity of the engine itself. High Performance Cars tested a production line stock, but well tuned, example and recorded a 13.1 second/110 MPH quarter mile, which correlates quite well with the previously referenced 376 SAE Net HP figure. Super Stock and Drag Racing Magazinerecorded an 11.62 second/122.15 MPH quarter mile in a ZL1 Camaro that was professionally tuned and driven by drag racing legend Dick Harrell, although that car was also equipped with open long-tube S&S equal-length headers, drag slicks and minor suspension modifications. Using Patrick Hale's Power/Speed formula, the 122.15 MPH trap speed indicated low 11-second ET (elapsed time) potential (e.g. with larger drag slicks) and suggested something on the order of 495 HP, "as installed", in that modified configuration. This large difference in power suggests that the OEM exhaust manifolds and exhaust system were highly restrictive in the ZL1 application, as was also the case with the similar L88.
The $4718 cost of the ZL1 option doubled the price of the 1969 Corvette, but resulted in a car with exceptional performance for its day. Just two production Corvettes (factory option at dealer) and 69 Camaros (non-dealer option from factory - COPO 9560) were built with the ZL1.
Chevrolet capitalized on the versatility of the 427 design by producing a wide variety of high performance, "over the counter" engine components as well as ready-to-race"replacement" engines in shipping crates. Some of the components were developed to enhance the engine's reliability during high RPM operation, possibly justifying the use of the description "heavy duty." However, most of these items were racing parts originally designed for Can-Am competition that found their way onto dealers' shelves, and were meant to boost the engine's power output.
Beginning in 1969, the highest performance 427 models were fitted with the new open (vs. closed) chamber cylinder heads, along with design improvements in crankshafts, connecting rods, and pistons, adopted from the Can-Am development program.
Chevrolet gave all 427 engines except the ZL1 a torque rating of 460 lb·ft (620 N·m).

Last edited by Space; 12-18-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:08 PM

1963 Corvette stingray Splitwindow

Home » Makes: CHEVROLET and Stingray. » 1963 Corvette stingray Splitwindow
PrintSend to Friend

£65000
Send InquiryVehicle Summary

Year1963
Engine size350 V8
ContactScott

Vehicle Detail

1963 CORVETTE STINGRAY SPLIT WINDOW
EACH MID-YEAR CORVETTE HAS INCREDIBLE STYLE AND OFFERS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE, WITH THE 1963 BEING MOST FAMOUS FOR IT’S SPLIT REAR WINDOW ON THE COUPE. DESIGNER,
BILL MITCHELL, SAID THE LINES WERE INSPIRED BY OBSERVING STING RAYS WHILE ON HOLIDAY. ODDLY, BEFORE 1963, THE CORVETTE WAS CRITICIZED BY AUTOMOTIVE JOURNALISTS FOR IT’S OUTDATED CHASSIS AND INCONSISTENT STYLING.WHILE STYLING CAN BE SUBJECTIVE, CHASSIS COMPLAINTS WERE JUSTIFIED. HOWEVER,BILL MITCHELL, LARRY SHINODA AND THEIR DESIGN TEAM HIT A GRAND SLAM WITH THE 1963 MODEL LEAVING CRITICS WITH LITTLE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.THE 1963 CHASSIS WAS SO GOOD IT BASICALLY REMAINED UNCHANGED FOR 19 YEARS.
THE 1963′s DESIGN ACTUALLY HAD A HISTORY BEFORE THEIR INTRODUCTION.
WHEN BILL MITCHELL FIRST SAW LARRY SHINODA’S SPLIT-WINDOW DESIGN HE FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. ZORA-ARKUS DUNTOV APPARENTLY HATED IT. BUT HISTORY DOES NOW SHOW THE 1963 CORVETTE SPLIT-WINDOW DESIGN ASBEING ONE OF THE MOST COLLECTIBLE OF THE MID-YEAR STING RAY MODELS.
WITH A NUMBERS-MATCHING VERSION OF A 1963 SPLIT-WINDOW
360HP FUEL-INJECTED STING RAY EXCEEDING THE 6 FIGURE MARK, HEREIN LIESAN INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY TO ACQUIRE WHAT HAS BECOME – AN AMERICAN ICON.
THIS PARTICULAR 1963, BELIEVED TO BE AN ORIGINAL FUEL INJECTEDSTING RAY PRESENTLY SPORTS A HIGH PERFORMANCE 350 V8 010 4-BOLT MAIN BLOCK. V021TJZ. 64/65 “461″ HEADS.EDELBROCK TORKER INTAKE WITH 650 CFM CARBURETOR.
INCLUDED WITH THIS OPPORTUNITY IS A PROFESSIONALLY BUILT 3782870 “RF” LONG BLOCK
DATED G313. THE CYLINDER HEADS ARE 1968 “461″ HEADS & WERE NOT REBUILT WITH THE
LONGBLOCK. THE 1963 ROCHESTER FUEL INJECTION IS NOT COMPLETE AND NEEDS A
REBUILD. THE AIRBOX ASSEMBLY IS NEARLY COMPLETE AND MATCHES RIGHT UP TO INLET.
DARK METALLIC DAYTONA BLUE ON DARK BLUE INTERIOR.
THE INTERIOR IS VERY NICE CONDITION.
52377 MILES SHOWING ON ODOMETER.
MUNCIE M21 4 SPEED GEARBOX. 1965 “AM” CODED DIFFERENTIAL WITH 4.11:1 RATIO.
BRAND NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM WITH FLOWMASTER MUFFLERS.
RUNS AND DRIVES BEAUTIFULLY, WITHOUT ISSUES. VERY FAST.
RECENTLY WET-SANDED, POLISHED AND BUFFED.
PAINT HAS USUAL ISSUES ASSOCIATED WITH MID-YEAR CORVETTES.
BODY IS SUPER STRAIGHT WITHOUT EVIDENCE OF ACCIDENTS.
INCLUDES: OWNERS MANUAL, FACTORY SHOP MANUAL, ORIGINAL “VETTE” MAGAZINE
WITH THIS CAR FEATURED IN THE “CALLING ALL LADIES” SECTION AUTOGRAPHED BY
LARRY SHINODA AND A PICTURE OF LARRY SHINODA WITH EX-OWNERS AT THE
DARRYL STARBIRD CAR SHOW IN 1996. SOME VERY NICE HISTORY.
A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO OWN AN INVESTMENT-GRADE CORVETTE AT AN EXCEPTIONAL
PRICE. DRIVE IT AS YOU RETURN THE FUEL-INJECTION PARTS TO THEIR ORIGINAL WORKING
CONDITION. THE LONG BLOCK IS FRESH.
IF YOU ARE IN THE MARKET, OR EVEN IF YOU’RE NOT, DON’T PASS UP THIS OPPORTUNITY TO
ACQUIRE A CLASSIC AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR THAT YOU CAN ENJOY, BOTH NOW AND WHEN YOU
GET A SUBSTANTIAL RETURN ON YOUR INVESTMENT. CLASSIC CARS YIELD AN 8 POINT ROI.
HOWEVER, CORVETTE’s OF THIS CALIBER EXCEED THAT NUMBER ANNUALLY.
THE NICE THING ABOUT OLD CARS IS …THEY ALWAYS GET OLDER.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:18 AM

1969 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - The Orange One

Raced, Preserved, Then Restored

Scott Ross Oct 8, 2014 3 Comment(s)Share

View Full Gallery

At first glance, you might think that this Corvette Stingray convertible is just another one of the 16,633 drop-top Sharks built during the 1969 model run. But then you notice that hood, with the dome that's bigger than the ones on the 427ci-powered '69s you've seen. That's the visual clue that there's more than an L36 or L72 big-block under it. In fact, there's a lot more under it that can be summed up by the engine's regular production option (RPO) code: ZL1, the aluminum version of the monstrous L88 big-block.
In 1969, when Chevrolet's ad slogan was, "Putting You First, Keeps Us First," they didn't want just any retail customer to have the ability to get their hands on one of these engines. They were flat-out race powerplants that required 103-octane gas. They even had a sticker on the console warning of engine damage if a lesser fuel was ever used. And their streetability was limited, at best. That's why both engines' factory horsepower ratings were five horsepower lower than that of the tri-carbed iron-block L72. It's also why those options' sticker prices were so much higher than the L72, with the L88's tariff at $1,032.15 and the ZL1's at a stunning $4,718.35, not counting the $770 worth of mandatory options like K66 Transistorized Ignition, G81 Positraction, J56 Special Heavy Duty Brakes, and F41 Special Front and Rear Suspension. (For obvious reasons, options like air conditioning or a radio were not available.)
As a result, there were only two '69 Corvettes built at St. Louis with the ZL1 option that were sold to retail customers.
2/11
But there was one Corvette buyer then who had no problem with the ZL1-powered Corvette's $9,900-plus sticker price: John Maher, a western Pennsylvania drag racer who was a personal friend of Don Yenko. Says Kevin Mackay of Corvette Repair in Valley Stream, New York, who restored this ZL1, "He had an International Blue '68 L88 originally, and when he found out that they were making another car that was lighter, and with the aluminum block, he decided to order that, and he got it through Gulf Oil and he drag raced the car."
John raced the Monaco Orange ZL1 "Winning Automatically," with its heavy-duty Turbo 400 for a number of years, while adding different stripes, colors, and decals during the years he campaigned it.
Eventually, it was parked and stored where it avoided the ravages of time and weather. There it stayed until he sold it to Bruce Perrone, its current owner. "I bought the car in 2007," he says. " It was largely unrestored. It had just under 3,000 miles on it. Over the years, it had gone through a few paint schemes, but I bought it from the original owner who'd raced the car from day one." Bruce adds.
6/11
7/11
The question then became one of "as-is" preservation versus restoration. "It was a judgment call whether it needed to be restored," says Bruce, who remembered seeing it race when he was a kid. "I ended up sending the car to Kevin Mackay, and we decided to take the car back to its original specs for Bloomington Gold purposes."
Unlike more than a few Vette restoration projects, this one didn't have any problems with missing parts or a less-than-intact body. "All the original components were there," says Bruce. "The original fiberglass had never been touched. The body itself is pristine."
There was more under that original 'glass, notes Kevin. "The car has the nicest frame that I've ever seen, because it only has 3,000 original miles on it," says Kevin. "It was like brand new." Adds Bruce, "All the correct crayon markings were on the car when we did the restoration work."
And there was a surprise atop that Stingray's original aluminum engine: its cylinder heads. "I believe it's the very first ZL1 built," says Kevin. "Because it's probably the only ZL1 to have closed-chamber cylinder heads."
Though there was no need for any worldwide parts searches, the restoration process was a long and painstaking one. "It was at Kevin's for the better part of two years," says Bruce. Kevin adds, "We wanted to bring it back to the way John Maher got it right out of the showroom. We put it back to Monaco Orange, which it was all its life, but without the graphics on it. We put back the stock wheels, took the body off the chassis, and rebuilt everything."
8/11
When done, it was time for the judging of a car that already had a reputation in the world of Vettes as being a genuine ZL1. "It's accepted in the hobby as a ZL1," notes Kevin, "because if it wasn't, they never would have put it on the Bloomington Gold certification field to have it reviewed."
That detailed review, almost as painstaking as the restoration itself, resulted in Gold certification at this past June's Bloomington Gold meet in Champaign, Illinois.
Though it has complete factory documentation, and an ownership history verifiable through its original and present owners, Bruce is taking another big step in that direction. "I've been working with David Burroughs," he says of his work with the founder of Bloomington Gold. "His company is called Prove-It, and he is completing authentication of the car now."
David explains further. "The issue is to determine if we can provide the degree of probability that the car is a no-doubt-about-it authentic ZL1. When you get into cars of this type, what the owner wants to do is have more than just his word, if he can have it proven conclusively."
(As of this writing, the work of David and Prove-It's team of experts was still in progress.)
9/11
10/11
So, what's it like to drive? "Right now, it's relatively tame," says Bruce. "Before we put the car back to original specs, it was a real beast. When John, the previous owner, had the engine rebuilt back to its original specs, my recollection is that it dynoed at around 600 horsepower.
"The car is an automatic, so the M40 (Turbo 400) is L88-spec, and it has a rather high stall speed.
"It's a brutal car. It's very fast."
And it's not your typical "OK Used Car" of that era, either!
11/11