Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~> Sun points a loaded gun at us & `Space

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile ~> Sun points a loaded gun at us & `Space

Hi Member's,
I'm just checking in b-4 I have to go back 2 work...
I thought a few member's might enjoy the below article
about our Sun & what is happening out there in `Space What's happening * *(I don't know, but I hope the Sun doesn't Blow `up) Oh `No

So this is just a heads `up just in case it blows `up
You better party smart 2 night & have a great time...
What `if ? ? (I don't know ), but ....What `if ?
No one is guaranteed a 2morrow, so extract the best of your `eve/night/life 4-Sure...Peace/Out & check the below b-4 you party.... Oh, don't 4-get 2 take a break and run outside & look `UP @ `space & see what's happening & don't 4-get to say high 2 `Space ~> LOL ~>

Sun points a loaded gun at us

</HEADER>NASA / SDO
An "intensitygram" from the Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager on NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory shows the double-barreled sunspot active region 1416 pointing toward Earth.

<!-- end10382726 -->
By Alan Boyle

As solar activity builds toward an expected peak in 2013, a double-barreled sunspot has been doubling in size over the past couple of days and now has the potential to shoot significant eruptions in our direction.
It's not certain that active region 1416 will erupt with coronal mass ejections as violent as the blasts that were thrown off by the sun late last month. But it has developed a mixed "beta-gamma" magnetic field that packs enough energy to throw off medium-scale solar flares, SpaceWeather.com reports.
"Any such eruptions this weekend would be Earth-directed as the sunspot turns to face our planet," SpaceWeather's Tony Phillips wrote.

<HR class=excerptEnd>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70jRSxMlkN4&feature=player_embedded

Click above

Medium-size M-class flares are generally associated with the kinds of solar storms that produce enhanced auroral lights, but not huge inconveniences on Earth. It's the X-class flares you really have to watch out for: That level of solar storming could affect radio communications as well as satellites and electrical grids if the operators of those systems aren't careful.
NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have a wide array of space assets monitoring the sun, and for now all's quiet on the solar front. NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center reported some problems tracking the Advanced Composition Explorer, a satellite that plays a key role in tracking solar storms, but those problems are expected to go away as ACE's orientation with respect to the sun improves.
NASA / ESA / SOHO / NOAA
The heart-shaped coronal mass ejection can be seen at about the 10 o'clock position on this image from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory.

<!-- end10383058 -->
The prediction center's Facebook page reports that on Friday, the sun threw off a slow-moving coronal mass ejection, or CME — in the shape of a heart, no less. "A preliminary model run predicts this CME will arrive, appropriately enough, on Valentine's Day," NOAA reports. So if you're out with your Valentine that night, particularly in Scandinavia or Canada, watch the skies. Even if the earth doesn't move, the aurora might glow.
Meanwhile, the sunspot region that caused all the auroral fireworks last month, known as AR1402, has moved around the far side of the sun. Solar scientists will be interested to see how that region has changed when it comes back into view. We're still a year out from the anticipated peak in the sun's 11-year activity cycle, so there'll be lots of sun-watching ahead. The best ways to keep track on a daily basis is to check in with NOAA's space weather center and SpaceWeather.com

Hi Member's, if you've read this far (?) I call the below the
MCF Saturday night @ the Movie's
Click on the below vid's & made them full screen..
It's a free trip 2 `Space 2 see all the free beauty that's out there with just the click of your mouse (LOL)
Go click & enjoy the movies WOW

In the meantime, catch up on your oohing and ahhing over the northern lights by clicking on these links:Update for 4:45 p.m. ET: Speak of the devil ... SolarHam.com reports that AR1402 has indeed made its reappearance on the edge of the sun's disk and was observed firing off C-class solar flares.
Old active region 1402 is currently producing C-class flares as it approaches the northeast limb. Movies by SDO/HMI and GOES SXI.
<!-- end10383457 -->

<HR itxtnodeid="591">Tip o' the log to Jason Major at Universe Today.
Alan Boyle is msnbc.com's science editor. Connect with the Cosmic Log community by "liking" the log's Facebook page, following @b0yle on Twitter or adding Cosmic Log's Google+ page to your circle. You can also check out "The Case for Pluto," my book about the controversial dwarf planet and the search for other worlds.

Explore related topics: space, sun, featured, space-weather

You can't say that we don't give you things to read & see on the MCF (even if they are from outer `space)
EnJoy your `Now "Be Happy 2 `be 4-Sure"
Peace/out from `Space

Last edited by Space; 02-11-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Solar activity is welcome by many in the radio community. Solar activity has an effect on radio wave propagation. Some of the quieter HF bands will come alive and contacts to places all over the world become possible that may not have been otherwise. I've been looking forward to the peak of the current cycle with great anticipation.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Those are some really beautiful pics Space. The videos were good too.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 PM

I saw the title and thought Smith and Wesson involved in another tragedy.