Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Worked on the Alero today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Worked on the Alero today.

We got an Alero a while back that's beat up but only has 42k miles and runs like a champ, also since it was a little beat up we got it cheap!

Anyways, today I got some work in on it, some hooligans must have thought it was cool to key and break the mirror, the plastic brackets were broken so the mirror was only held on by one bolt.

The panels on the Alero's are literally a 100x harder to get off than the panels on the Montes but I eventually got it off. For the Alero mirrors you have to take off the whole panel to get to the power wire for the power mirrors, even though all 3 bolts are accessible just by removing the tweeter housing.

New mirror looking good, test fit. (water specs in pic)

Finally got her all put back together, didn't go to bad considering I did this all in 12 degree weather in a non-heated garage.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 AM

It takes a real loser to beat up a car in 42,000 miles. Why would some one do that? No respect for certain.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

My sons car is the same way. It has a triangular piece covering the screws and it's held on by 2 screws under the door panel. Alero's are nice cars. I test drove one before I bought my monte. What plans do you have for it. Are you fixing it up?

Old 02-11-2012, 09:43 AM

I like the Aleros too pretty much remind me of my Grand Am GT with the 3400

Old 02-11-2012, 10:31 AM

Looks good

Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
It takes a real loser to beat up a car in 42,000 miles. Why would some one do that? No respect for certain.
Well the driver had something wrong with her, i forget what the seller said, but she had gotten in a couple fender benders, but the mirror thing was probably just some punk kids thinking they were funny

Originally Posted by lougreen03
My sons car is the same way. It has a triangular piece covering the screws and it's held on by 2 screws under the door panel. Alero's are nice cars. I test drove one before I bought my monte. What plans do you have for it. Are you fixing it up?
Yeah, the screws and everything were easy, but there were probably 12 push pins on the other side and they were strong than the montes, not to mention that fact that there were more lol

I don't have much for plans, it needs new bumper covers, I fixed the fog light that was snapped off and the hood needs to be replaced. Here's some more on it...

It appeared the foglight was completely missing:

Half the bracket was still there and the foglight was just resting on the bumper:

So if fixed her up and got i mounted, and good as new.

Here you can see the back end damage.

I've also been doing some minor scratch removal around the whole thing and we just put new tires on it, since the old BFGs were dry rotting for sitting so long.

So I guess you could say it's a project that will never get done, for the price we got it for it's good as-is, the only potential issue in the future is the infamous LIM, but knowing how to do it now will save us a grand and won't be a big deal.

The trans on this bad boy feels 10x stronger than the monte and since it's so much lighter it is pretty quick

Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Man they really didn't take care of it

Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Looks pretty good. Once you get it touched up it will be really nice.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

By the looks of things, that Alero is now in better hands. And being a 3400 powered car, you should feel at home with wrenchin' on it Trewyn!

Welcome to the N-Body world

Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member

Oh man, forgot to connect the door lock switch, time to pull her back apart :P

I'm considering bondoing the front bumper and repainting the back here soon just to make it look a little better i think

Quick Reply: Worked on the Alero today.