Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should anyone be able to buy weapons without a background check ?
Yes, it's my right
17.65%
No, everyone should have a background check b-4 purchase
70.59%
I'm against all guns/weapons
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

~> Anyone can buy guns, NO questions asked ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM

lol I understand where you are coming from, but its not too often that you see a long barrel shotgun or rifle used in a crime and having quite a few cabinets packed with long guns registering each of them would be quite awful to say the least. Also I honestly DONT want anyone to know what I have whether it be the state or other persons due to the fact that someday people are going to make anti gun laws although the constitution does give us the right to bare arms people are gong so crazy over the topic I do believe that guns will have to be registered sooner than later anyways. This means that if the state decides to confiscate all guns for what ever reason now they know what you have. its just not necessary. those who kill with guns will get them either way. MAKING THESE LAWS IS ONLY PUNISHING THE INNOCENT

Old 02-09-2012, 01:12 PM

I'm fine with it, makes the purchase easier. People who want guns and shouldn't have them, are going to get them either way. That lady believes that her friend would still be here if that guy couldn't have bought a gun is biased in her opinion. He could have killed the girl many different ways, and he still could have gotten a gun if he really wanted one. I don't want the government to have anything to do with the decision's citizens make, unless the decision has already been made and it was one that hurt people. I say this because you can't judge what a person is going to do with a simple background check. People can change. The government already has it's hand in too many things as it is. Like MonteSSS said, these laws only punish the innocent. The .50 cal was a bit ridiculous, but I must say, I'd like having one of those myself.. Lol.

Last edited by brendan127; 02-09-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 PM

exactly

Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 PM

Backround check,but only one of mine have been purchased with a backround check lol

Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MonteSSS
exactly

It's great to see you're so excited to find a member or members to agree with you! ..Yes, the right to bare arms, and freedom of speech...

I thought some member's maybe interested in the below article. It has some interesting information & facts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click above link ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Part of the above article below

Ordinary American citizens use guns competently. Every 48 seconds, someone uses a handgun to defend himself against a crime (according to Florida State University's Gary Kleck, using data collected by liberal pollster Peter Hart in a poll paid for by the anti-gun lobby).
Regular American citizens do not shoot each other in moments of passion; the vast majority of such shootings are perpetrated by thugs with a record of violence and substance abuse.
And contrary to the claims of the anti-gun lobby, Americans are not so careless that they cannot be trusted with potentially dangerous objects like guns. Gun accidents account for less than 2% of the nation's 92,000 accidental deaths annually.
Suicides have little to do with gun availability. Japan has no guns, while Switzerland is deluged with every gun in the book, and both nations have the same suicide rate.
Of course the more that U.S. governments can do to make gun use in America even more responsible, the better. Switzerland shows how successful governments can be in promoting responsible gun use.
Elementary schools in America should have gun safety classes which teach children never to touch a gun unless a parent is present, and they should be taught to tell an adult if they see an unattended gun. The NRA actively promotes this idea, and the National Association of Chiefs of Police endorses it. But Handgun Control opposes this reasonable, sensible safety measure. Has HCI gone off the deep end?
High schools and colleges wishing to offer target shooting as a sport should be allowed to do so. Unlike football or swimming, scholastic target shooting has never resulted in a fatality. The anti-gun groups oppose the sensible step of allowing the schools to offer students the safest sport ever invented. Have they gone off the deep end'? Finally, local governments should enact reasonable zoning laws, which allow the construction of indoor shooting ranges (properly ventilated and sound insulated) in urban areas. In some cases, governments should subsidise the building of ranges. At target ranges, Americans can take lessons in gun responsibility, and practice safe gun handling skills. As you might expect, the anti-gunners oppose this simple safety measure too. They've gone off the deep end.
What have we learned from Switzerland?' Guns in themselves are not a cause of gun crime; if they were, everyone in Switzerland would long ago have been shot in a domestic quarrel.
Cultural conditions, not gun laws, are the most important factors in a nation's crime rate. Young adults in Washington, D.C., are subject to strict gun control, but no social control, and they commit a staggering amount of armed crime. Young adults in Zurich are subject to minimal gun control, but strict social control, and they commit almost no crime.
America-with its traditions of individual liberty-cannot import Switzerland's culture of social control. Teenagers, women, and almost everyone else have more freedom in America than in Switzerland. What America can learn from Switzerland is that the best way to reduce gun misuse is to promote responsible gun ownership. While America cannot adopt the Swiss model, America can foster responsible gun ownership along more individualistic, American lines. Firearms safety classes in elementary schools, optional marksmanship classes in high schools and colleges, and the widespread availability of adult safety training at licensed shooting ranges are some of the ways that America can make its tradition of responsible gun use even stronger.

I know it's easy for me or anyone to complain about our government & the laws they make, but do you, or those that don't like our laws have a viable solution to the problems ?
We the people elect out representatives (don't we) ? Whose in control or do you think that our country is out of control ? How can we fix it ? Does anyone know how ?

Thanks everyone for your posts,thoughts and respecting everyone elses opinions on this subject...I know this is a controversial topic, but it does give a view of our very diverse MCF Membership...Thanks member's for posting sharing your thoughts & creating activity for the MCF I keep learning everyday on the MCF !

Last edited by Space; 02-10-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 AM

Yes, I like this, buy more guns! A glock 23 is next on my list.

The background check is really not a big deal, there is no waiting period, it's a 5-minute phone call so why not if it helps prevent sales to criminals. I think criminals will find ways to get guns regardless but a required background check from legal sources might deter them or at least slow them down.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:56 AM

having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:12 AM

By the same token Angie, a right unexercised is a right lost. I exercise my right to bear arms as often as I can because if God forbid myself or someone I care about is threatened with deadly force, I want to have the means to eliminate that threat. I won't sell a weapon to anybody I don't know well. I also keep record of a sale so that it can't come back to bite me in the future.

I can understand the argument behind background checks. I am completely against gun registration though. My biggest fear behind that is that the media could get a hold of that list via a freedom of information request (and they're currently trying to get lists of weapons carry permit holders in most states and have been successful in some) and that could open me up to a host of threats when they publish that list (and as proven with the lists of weapons carry permit holders that they've obtained, they WILL publish it). Someone looking to steal a gun could see who has them and have a target in mind and probably have enough buddies/firepower to overwhelm one or two defenders. With some of these gangs running around that's a real possibility when they need a quick weapon for a new member. Someone could also try to paint me in a bad light simply because I have a gun and that could be used against me in a host of ways. There's all kinds of bad things that could happen under the scenario of registration. That's why I'm completely against the idea.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 AM

[quote=SupplySgt;419147]By the same token Angie, a right unexercised is a right lost.

But does that mean we should stand up in a crowded theater every once in a while and yell "FIRE!!" Sure, we have the right to do that. BUT SHOULD WE? I understand your logic, that we could lose the right to free speech if we don't exercise that right - but how would that happen? If no one buys guns, would the Second Amendment be revoked? Of course not.

Let me just say this: I'm against all guns except in the hands of the military and police, but I don't know what a good solution would be. I do know countries with strict handgun laws have less gun deaths per year than we do. I do know children get killed by stray bullets. I do know distraught teenagers use a gun to take their life and don't have a second chance like they would if they overdose or even slash their wrists.

Space started a good debate here, didn't he?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Violent crime is higher in most nations that ban guns. Criminals know people don't have the means to defend themselves and it's easy pickings for them.

On the flip side as well. In switzerland, every able bodied male is trained as part of the militia and is issued an assault rifle and ammo to keep at home. Violent crime there is much lower than their surrounding nations.

All I can say is that when seconds count, police are minutes away. Nothing against the police, but there is no possible way for them to get there in time when someone is attacked by someone wielding any type of weapon. The criminals will get their guns. This is apparent in every country in the world that has banned guns. Even in Australia and England (which banned guns a long time ago AND are only accessible by air or water), there are still criminals who somehow manage to get their hands on guns. More laws will only hurt the law abiding citizens, this has been a proven fact in every country that has banned guns. Canada is looking at doing away with their long gun registry. Obviously it didn't work if they're getting rid of it.

Why can't we just ENFORCE the laws currently on the books before we worry about trying to make more laws that we won't enforce? Our own government violated who knows how many gun laws on purpose in their "Fast and Furious" operation. Why restrict the ability for law abiding citizens to protect themselves from threats that will be there regardless? If someone wants to kill someone, they're going to find a means to do it. All you're doing by banning guns is removing the means for the would-be victims to equalize the situation. Areas with higher levels of legal gun ownership typically have lower crime rates.

I do not go to war so that I can be told that when I'm out of uniform (or some day in the future out of the service alltogether) I cannot carry the means to defend myself and my family against threats that will be there regardless of the laws in place. This is a subject I feel very strongly about and the data worldwide supports my view.