General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Frequently Asked Questions ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Frequently Asked Questions ? ? ?

Updated:2007-02-07 10:36:51[/align]Frequently Asked Questions[/align]By TOM TORBJORNSEN [/align]and Professor Empty `Space [8D][/align]

Don't Substitute Window Cleaner for Windshield Washer Solution!
Dear Tom, I would like to know if it's OK to use regular Windex glass cleaner to refill an empty windshield washer bottle, and what damage could it do to my car's paint job? Also, what is the best cleaner for chrome? Arthur from Houston

Arthur, Do you own stock in Windex? The chemicals in Windex (or another other glass cleaner) are more concentrated and will quickly deteriorate the plastic parts of the windshield washer system. In addition, the windshield wiper blades will deteriorate faster. If you use the Windex with ammonia or other additives, eventual degradation of the paint finish is possible. Finally, if you live where it gets cold enough, Windex will freeze up the washer system, disabling it completely. Just because it is blue doesn't mean that it is good to use as washer fluid. When cleaning chrome, what you use depends on what you are cleaning off the chrome. A soap and water solution is the best cleaner for road dirt, oil, and grime. If you are trying to remove rust pits, you won't be able to. You can make them appear smaller by using an abrasive pad, but they will return (as will any corrosion will that has started on the chrome). The only way to eliminate the corrosion is to remove the part and either replace it or have it re-chromed. I wish you the best. Tom

Check Towing Recommendations Before Towing a Vehicle
Dear Tom, My daughter-in-law owns a '92 Kia Sportage SUV, automatic with 4WD. It has 90K miles on it. My son recently towed it on a tow dolly from Columbus, Ohio to Buffalo, N.Y. When he arrived the transmission would not shift normally and there was no reverse. It was low on transmission fluid so he added fluid with no improvement. Also, when he tried to engage the four-wheel drive, it would not shift into gear. Any suggestions? Thanks. Marcia from Buffalo

Marcia, Oh no! Your son should have checked the towing recommendations for that vehicle before towing it that far with the wheels making contact with the road! With the rear wheels on the ground, the axles -- driveshaft -- transfer case -- transmission are turning and with the engine not running, there is no fluid pumping lubrication through the drivetrain, hence meltdown occurs. Have it checked out by a transmission expert, but I think a trip to the salvage yard for a transmission and transfer case may be in order. Sorry for the bad news. Tom

A/C Smells Like Mildew? There's a Solution
Dear Tom, I own a 2005 Chevy Cobalt and every time I turn on the air conditioner in the air circulation mode it smells like mildew. What is the problem? Jo Ann from Long Beach, Calif.

Jo Ann, You probably have mildew growing in the A/C evaporator case. Your car is under warranty. Take it back to the dealer. GM has factory-approved procedures to help remove the odors from the A/C evaporator case. It involves spraying an industrial grade disinfectant into the air intake for the HVAC system, then letting it do its work. Hopefully the disinfectant will kill the mold. If it doesn't, the parts from the HVAC will need to be removed and cleaned, or possibly replaced. This is very costly and time-consuming repair work, so get back the car back to the dealership as soon as possible and get it covered under warranty. I wish you the best! Tom

A Car With a Very High Idle May Be Unsafe to Drive
Dear Tom, I own an '87 Jeep Cherokee . During the spring and summer when I start the car, it begins idling at almost 3500rpm. It doesn't happen during the colder seasons though. It idles very high and quite loud until it warms up. While it is warming up, I can smell something burning. I get nervous and have to turn the car off. Also, if I drive it while it is idling at this high rate, the brakes are extremely hard to push.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:10 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Frequently Asked Questions ? ? ?

Dear Tom, I own a 2005 Chevy Cobalt and every time I turn on the air conditioner in the air circulation mode it smells like mildew. What is the problem? Jo Ann from Long Beach, Calif.

I've always heard (even from a car dealer) to switch the A/C off seveal minutes before you plan to shut the vehicle off, but leave the fan motor running.

This helpselliminate thesmell you get when you switch the A/C back on.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: rj

I've always heard (even from a car dealer) to switch the A/C off seveal minutes before you plan to shut the vehicle off, but leave the fan motor running.

This can work to dryout moisture in the evaporator case. Some cars even have a blower motor run on function, where after you turn off the system, the blower motor will continue to run for a certain amount of time and then automatically shut off.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: InTheIROC

ORIGINAL: rj

This can work to dryout moisture in the evaporator case. Some cars even have a blower motor run on function, where after you turn off the system, the blower motor will continue to run for a certain amount of time and then automatically shut off.
You know, I noticed a different kind of smell when I used the circulated air as well, but it doesn't smell like mildew. Maybe it's just in the early stages? Mine is also an '05.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

Don't Substitute Window Cleaner for Windshield Washer Solution!
lol...this reminds me of the guy that came into our store that put anitfreeze in his washer fluid spot instead of washer fluid...then he couldn't understand why his windshield was smearing so bad...lol...sorry just a funny story..

Old 02-12-2007, 10:41 AM

I always shut the air off and let the fan run to "dry" out the vents before shutting the car off.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The cars I own with A/C on them I do the same. I let the fan run after I turn the A/C off. It's rareI forget to do this but it happens sometimes.

I can say I don't have a problem with a foul smell coming out of the A/C when I turn it on.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:27 PM

[align=center][:-]I think the smell is coming from Me [:-][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/04C66481334B4689B26577CB71ABF479.gif[/IMG]
GM put me in the AC vents & I have Gas [:@][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]RJ, thanks 4 your post & knowledge.[/align][align=center]I always learn something on our forum.[/align][align=center]I will now turn on my BLOWER : )[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 02-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i've never heard of letting the fan run for a bit after you turn the a/c off ....new to me

Old 08-11-2007, 08:10 AM

Members, post your tips/tricks/experience
on above subject topic.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Frequently Asked Questions ? ? ?