Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

`Space Goes to the Dark Side : )

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: `Space Goes to the Dark Side : )

[align=center]GP `Dave, my grandfather stopped over to check on me,[/align][align=center]& bring me lunch : ) [/align][align=center]He was checking my posts on the MCF, and yours,[/align][align=center]he said brought back great memories.[/align][align=center]Thanks for sharing your experience.[/align][align=center]RJ., my GP is still laugh'in @ your hobbie's : )[/align][align=center]Thanks for sharing [/align][align=center]He is a old Porsche Lover.[/align][align=center]He said the 60's were some of his best years : )[/align][align=center]Below is from the `net : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align]

1960 Porsche 356B Super Roadster
[align=center]While some favor the recklessly dashing profile of the Speedster, the Roadster is a far more usable and durable car [/align][align=center]by Jim Schrager [/align]

When Porsche introduced the improved 356B in 1960, the Speedster was succeeded by the Roadster. This was a change in name, even though both cars, and the interim Convertible D in between, remained at the bottom of the Porsche price schedule.[align=center]In addition to the new name, the 356B delivered meaningful changes to the chassis, body, engine, and transmission. Larger Alfin brake drums were standard, there was a new transmission and shift lever design, and the 356B bodies had raised headlights with more serious bumpers. Engines were both improved in reliability and power, with a new pushrod variant, the 90-hp “Super-90” joining the 60-hp “Normal” and the 75-hp “Super.” [/align][align=center]The Roadster offered here has recently undergone a two-year comprehensive restoration that began with the dismantling and examination of all the parts and components. The car was then stripped to bare metal and installed on a rotisserie. Doors and lids were fitted to the body panels,...[/align][align=center]Space really loves the 911's[/align]Porsche 911 Review

[/align]2007 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 Convertible
[/align]With the exception of a few midengine models scattered over the decades, Porsche has built its fame and fortune on a single rear-engine sports car, the 911. From rather humble beginnings, the Porsche 911 has gone on to be one of the most influential and most recognizable vehicles in the world. Today's version of the car provides stunning levels of performance without sacrificing much in terms of day-to-day usability, and many Porsche purists still consider the 911 the only "real" Porsche. [align=center]The history of the Porsche 911 dates back to the 1960s. In 1965, it superseded the 356, Porsche's first production sports car. Like the 356, the 911 had a rear-mounted, air-cooled engine. This basic layout can be attributed to Ferdinand Porsche's original design for the VW Beetle (from which the 356 had its mechanical roots) and offered the practical economy-car benefits of tight packaging and enhanced traction.[/align][align=center]Alas, what might have worked on a 24-horspower Bug suddenly became somewhat of a problem on a 160-hp sports car. In short, having that much mass at the rear of the 911 made it susceptible to massive oversteer. There are countless stories of drivers of earlier Porsche 911s entering a turn too hot, intuitively lifting off the throttle and being left hapless as their shiny Porsche pirouetted off into the bushes. Or worse.[/align][align=center][b]Surprisingly, this basic configuration of a horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine driving and hanging ov

Old 11-15-2007, 12:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Thanks Space for the heartwarming comments.

Yes it is a 356, in fact it is a 1965 356SC. I believe it was thelast year with the very power 2000cc engine with the dual webber carbs.

Very rare and powerful car and I think the last year for the much heralded 356's.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM

This is Jay Leno's 65 Carbriolet, exactly like the one I drove but red.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:08 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

my dad told me about hwo when he was a mechanic at Cavalier Ford in Norfolk, VA, a man came in telling my dad he couldn't find an engine for his proshe.. my dad told him he could help him out there. he went to a junk yard, bought a VW engine, put the Porsche heads on it and gave it to the guy, can't remember what Ford charged him for that..

Old 11-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Anyone remember this little gem:

The Porsche 914

The Porsche 914, introduced in September 1969, was a sporty, mid-engined two-seater with a targa top and a 4 cylinder boxer engine.
The idea for the 914 originated in the mid-sixties, when the presidents of VW and Porsche collaborated on an idea to produce a new sports car for each of their companies. Volkswagen wanted a new, sportier model to replace the Karmann-Ghia and Porsche would also use the car, but with all the components coming from the 911 series.
VW would take 914 bodies and finish them as 914/4s, and Porsche would take their portion of the body shells, and build 914/6s. When sold in North America, however, all 914s would be considered Porsches.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:07 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sure I remember the. A guy I worked with oned one just like that.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: rj

Sure I remember the. A guy I worked with oned one just like that.

Yeap, it was sold as a VW in Germany and as a Porsche here.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

2008 Porsche 911 GT2 introduction: Engine technology
This thread has turned into the history of Porsche : )
That's what I love about the MCF
We race everywhere on the Web : )
[:-]
480 HP from a 3.6L Flat Six
"To Dare 2 `Dream"
Click below link to read/see more : ) + Pic's : )