Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= Americans keep their cars running longer ? =

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy = Americans keep their cars running longer ? =

American Cars Older On Average Than Ever Before

Quality helps Americans keep their cars running longer

Posted: Aug 06, 2013 |

Probably still see these on the road (2005 Pontiac C6 GT) or many Super Super Chevy Monte Carlo's

Americans are keeping their cars and trucks longer than ever, and even with newcar sales increasing, the average age will continue to rise, an industry research firm says.

The average age of the 247 million cars and trucks on U.S. roads hit a record of 11.4 years in January, the latest figures available from state registration data gathered by the Polk research firm.

That's up from 11.2 years in 2012, and nearly two full years older than in 2007, before the start of the Great Recession, Polk said Tuesday.

People are keeping their cars because the quality is so much better and they are trying to avoid the monthly payments, said Mark Seng, a Polk vice president. The annual percentage of cars and trucks sent to the scrap yard has dropped 50 percent since the recession, he said.

"Cars are just lasting longer," he said.

The company doesn't see the age dropping for at least five years, even though U.S. vehicle sales are running at an annual rate of around 15.5 million, which is near pre-recession levels. And it predicts that the percentage ofcars age 12 or older will actually rise in the next five years.

The change creates a big opportunity for repair shops and auto-parts stores, Seng said.

"Customers from independent and chain repair shops should be paying close attention to their business plans and making concerted efforts to retain business among the do-it-for-me audience, while retailers have a unique and growing opportunity with potential consumers wrenching on their own vehicles," he said.

U.S. sales have risen gradually from a 30-year low of 10.4 million in 2009 because of low interest rates, appealing new models and pent-up demand as people replace aging vehicles they kept through the recession. The sales rebound prompted Polk to raise its estimate of the total number of vehicles on U.S. roads by 5 percent to more than 260 million in five years.

But Seng said many people intend to keep running their older cars into the future, adding that he can't remember another time that the average age has grown as quickly.

The growth rate in the average age will slow in the coming years, but won't start falling until new-car sales rise and stay high for several years. Older vehicles would have to be scrapped at a higher rate, as well, he said.

"With the quality of the vehicles, that's not going to happen," Seng said.

More people also are financing cars for 72 months, meaning they'll keep their cars for at least six years and probably longer, Seng said.

MCF Member's, How long do you plan on keeping your Monte Carlo ? ? Please post & share > Thanks

Gallery: Five Tips To Avoid Blowing Thousands On A Used Car
Click above link & Explore ^ ^ ^

Last edited by Space; 08-07-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

About 10+ years ago, so many people around me have held tightly to old concept of cars dieing shortly after 100,000 miles. I've had people think I was crazy to believe modern, well and properly maintained cars could last until 200,000 without being a burden.

But the key is proper and regular maintenance.

This article shows that people are recognizing these facts. For my location, the body tends to rot away before the drive train is truly done.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
About 10+ years ago, so many people around me have held tightly to old concept of cars dieing shortly after 100,000 miles. I've had people think I was crazy to believe modern, well and properly maintained cars could last until 200,000 without being a burden.

This article shows that people are recognizing these facts. For my location, the body tends to rot away before the drive train is truly done.

Thanks Mod `Jason for your post/thoughts...I `agree.

Rust/salt/weather can kill a nice ride 4-Sure..., but thankfully there are enthusiast out there that find them & bring them back for another
road trip in life "For the Love of Auto's"

b-4
Below after

Old 08-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Find `me - Help me - Save me

Thank You!

Old 08-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I will be on of those to run my car into the ground...I have 186K and I'm hoping for 300K.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm ready to run the 97 into the ground. 167k, hoping for 200k and then i'll be more than happy

Old 08-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I speak from experience, those 3100's can go over 200K!
My old '94 Grand Am is still running and the current owner I've heard has not put a DIME into it since he bought it from me (and I had 215K on it when I sold it).

Old 08-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

Jason, this is all very true. Although, I still feel like the majority of people don't care about their vehicle as much as they should; second biggest investment you'll make in your lifetime, yet the majority don't treat it like it is. I think a lot of this comes with lease vehicles nowadays because people seem to have the mentality that a vehicle is disposable after a few years and the whole mindset of 'why spend the time and effort because it's not going to be my problem after a few years.' Sad to say but I'd argue that's true with most people. Hell some people don't even wash their vehicle at all, ever.

The 06 SS I'm planning on holding onto for a while; don't see myself getting rid of it.

The 3800 in my 03 SS had 150k miles on it when it was totaled and that car was still running strong with no major issues. This car was in my family from day one and was taken care of very well, so it just goes to show how taking good care of a car will make it last.

When I was above 100k miles on the 03, I was still showing it at cruise-ins and had people thinking the car had like 40k miles on it, not kidding. The 06 currently has 86k miles and people don't even believe me when they ask.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Biggest issue is people don't take care of their cars, so they never make it a long time. Proper maintenance is key.