Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like the Equinox LTZ ?
Yes, I like it
66.67%
No, I don't like it (Not my type of ride)
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

= 2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ First Test =

Old 06-07-2012, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default = 2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ First Test =

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ First Test

Upsized V-6 for Downsized Crossover Has its Merits

2012 Chevrolet Equinox Buyer's Guide

MSRP: $23,530 - $30,970
MPG Range: 29 - 32 mpg

Body Style: SUV

June 07, 2012
By Rory Jurnecka
| Photos Julia LaPalme

Downsizing is in. Not only has the size of the most popular utility vehicle class gone from midsize to compact, but the engines have become smaller as well. It's not as common these days to find a V-6 offering in the ultra-competitive entry-level CUV segment, with most manufacturers instead choosing to focus on small-displacement, high-output four-cylinder engines -- Mazda, Ford, Honda, Kia, and Volkswagen included. Chevy is the outlier, continuing to offer a V-6 alongside a 2.4-liter Ecotec four-cylinder Equinox. With the 2012ChevroletEquinoxLTZ we recently tested, Chevy is hoping to prove the V-6 still has its merits.

Of course this is no old-fashioned V-6. Producing 264 hp from 3.0 liters, the direct-injected, flex-fuel engine found in the Equinox is a peach, revving smoothly with a decent engine note to match. It's also well paired to the standard six-speedautomatictransmission, which holds gears relatively well and offers acceptably quick and smooth shifts. The only downside is that 222 lb-ft is a little light to get the Equinox's nearly two tons moving at much more than an adequate rate. Our acceleration times bare that fact out, with the Equinox taking 7.8 seconds to reach 60 mph and a somewhat painful 16.1 seconds to run a full quarter-mile, reaching just 86 mph the process.

The Equinox's weight affected its subjective performance too. From behind the wheel, it was impossible to ignore its nearly 4000 pounds of mass. Even though the Equinox drove much like a tank, it also proved to be a supple and relaxed freeway cruiser with low wind and road noise, although prevalent understeer limited twisty canyon road fun. Steering was direct and responsive. When it came time to hustle it down, we experienced relatively strong brake feel. During our testing, it took 123 feet to bring the Equinoz LTZ to a stop from 60 mph, a class-competitive number.

We were also impressed with the Chevy's cabin, with its quality-looking black and brown materials with red stitching. The color scheme is an upscale touch in a class that's anything but and makes even the cheaper hard plastics look more expensive than they actually are. The Camaro-esque gauge pods and clean center stack design also found fans on our staff, as did the contoured multifunction steering wheel. Bonus points also go to the Equinox's rear seat, which is as comfortable as it is spacious. Front-drive architecture also means that the rear floor is flat, offering more universal floor space for a center occupant. Outer occupants still have the better deal though, being coddled in the two buckets scalloped out of the vehicle's rear bench.

Unfortunately, the cargo area left staffers scratching their heads at the lack of space. Smaller than many others in its class, the Chevy's cargo bay required a bit of Tetris-like shuffling to get many solid objects loaded up. Especially frustrating are the large side panels that intrude into the middle space. On our tester, one appeared to hold the stereo's subwoofer, but the other simply contained a cubby that was too small to be of much use for anything. We're not sure if wheelwell intrusion is the reason for the hoggish panels, but cargo volume would be greatly improved if they were gone. Cabin storage, on the other hand, is strong with a deep compartment in the center console and plenty of room for cell phones and the like at the base of the center stack.

During our mixed driving loop of freeway, city streets, and winding backroads, the Equinox achieved fuel economy of 16.8 mpg - a somewhat lackluster figure that's surely related to the Chevy's very good V-6 having to cope with such a heavy curb weight. Official EPA ratings put the Equinox at 20 mpg combined. We drove the vehicle slightly harder than most potential consumers would.

In the end, the Equinox was well-received by most of our staffers, with many agreeing that it is one of the better vehicles in its class, especially for those who carry adults in the rear seat frequently - such as for business meetings or social events. Our tester offered reasonable value for money with its as-tested price of nearly $33,000, including such niceties as heated leather front seats, a power rear liftgate, tilting/telescoping steering column, rear backup camera, satellite radio, collision and lane-departure warning systems, Bluetooth and Pandora integration, and 18-inch chrome wheels. More than anything, there's an honesty to the Equinox we appreciate, a trait that's not always easy to find in today's automotive market.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Ive rode around in one of those Equinox same color & everything & imo it sucked harsh ride, stiff seats & the V6 was gutless & no milage ppl are better off with a Tahoe which is what the ppl who owned this one done & they get the same milage lol, so if u want a V6 Equinox get a Tahoe ive nvr ridden in or drove a lesser model one yet though so idk how those are

Old 06-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My current company car is the 2011 Equinox LT (AWD) V6 (FlexFuel) and I am quite happy with it... It does not ride as smooth as a car, however the handling in mine is pretty close... Gas mileage could be better, but I do get an average of 13L/100km... As for power, it's not too bad for the size and weight and the dual exhaust actually does not sound too bad... I drive it extensively, for work, recreation, transporting the family, dog and sometimes supplies with no issues... All in all I am quite happy with it as a DD and my Monte as my weekend car... Works for me...

Attached Thumbnails = 2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ First Test =-bb-085.jpg  

Last edited by Crusader SS; 06-07-2012 at 03:06 PM.