Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = 2015 Ford Mustang GT Manual = =

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool = = 2015 Ford Mustang GT Manual = =

Member's, post what you think of the new Mustang
I like them & would like to test one + the Chevy & Dodge also
(Posted so you know what's out there on the highways of your `Life)

2015 Ford Mustang GT Manual

It's more refined than ever, but is the new Mustang still a stallion?

With the new Ford Mustang finally sitting before us, a walkaround is the first order of business. Circling the newest pony, there’s no mistaking it for anything but a Mustang. The all-new 2015 model retains the right proportions, with a long hood, a compact and low greenhouse, and an extremely fast, well, fastback roofline. Strong cheekbones and taut sheetmetal enhance its beauty, while jawlines on top of jawlines will convey an appropriate sense of terror to anyone who encounters one in their rearview mirror.
Sliding behind the wheel, we begin to experience some nervousness—on behalf of the car. You see, this isn’t the four-cylinder turbocharged EcoBoost model, or even the rental-counter base V-6. No, what we have here is what some might refer to as the real Mustang: the V-8 GT. More than any other 2015 Mustang, it carries the weight of expectations. Heavy expectations. Yes, the direct-injected EcoBoost is a technologically advanced engine and its turbocharger forces enough air through it to embarrass many eight-cylinders from a decade ago, but it still isn’t a proper V-8, no matter how much power it makes or how efficient it is.

READ MORE: 2015 Ford Mustang Engines: What You Need to Know
As for the V-8, it’s a worked over version of the outgoing Mustang’s Coyote powerplant, more specifically a version that saw the stonking Boss 302 serve as its drivability and output bogey. Certified on 93-octane unleaded, horsepower now stands at 435 (up from 420) and torque comes in at a nice, even 400 lb-ft. According to the EPA, fuel will be burned at a rate of 15 mpg in the city and 25 on the highway with the six-speed manual; the six-speed automatic does one better in the city. If you fill up using 87 octane, you’ll be down on horsepower—by about one percent according to Ford. So it’s highly unlikely you’ll notice.
With a six-speed manual sprouting up between the seats, the V-8 makes very short work of the first three gears. The accelerative rush is such that the somewhat cheesy “Ground Speed” label on the speedometer makes some sense, and the needle swings into triple digits very quickly. Also, there’s no Muzak version of the Daytona 500 played through the speakers in the Mustang: The GT’s V-8 soundtrack, although more subdued than we expected, is generated solely by combustion events and not electrons. We came away from this hushed GT thinking about refinement, not tinnitus.
The refinement extends to the ride and handling. Even with the 19-inch wheels and Pirelli P Zeros that come with the GT Performance package—which also brings a bunch of bracing, uprated brakes, and much more; full details here—the ride feels like a slightly more supple Boss 302. Some credit must go to the new integral-link independent rear suspension; dropping the solid rear axle is the Mustang’s big leap out of its 1960s roots. Ford had managed over the years to massage the stick axle to acceptability—and near-transcendence in the case ofthe Boss—but untying the Mustang’s rear wheels from each other pays massive dividends in terms of impact mitigation and keeps the front and rear ends working more closely together. Setting the Mustang into a corner no longer puts you into the awkward situation of serving as a couples’ counselor to the fore and aft axles. Turn-in felt natural in the outgoing Mustang, but the rear end seemed slightly disconnected, as if it wasn’t sure it wanted to follow the front. Cornering is now secure and flat, and the grip likely approaches a full 1.00 g with those sticky P Zeros. The new Mustang’s chassis is in total harmony.

READ MORE: How We’d Spec It: The Perfect 2015 Ford Mustang
It’s not just the chassis that feels right. The precise steering is electrically assisted, but the sensations are richly analog and not digital. (This is true in any of its three adjustable modes, which largely alter weight.) The Getrag-sourced six-speed manual shifts easily and slots into gear quickly, and it feels more polished than before. It’s no trouble to find a good seating position, the forward view is quite good, and the optional $1595 Recaro seats seem tailor-made just for you. The interior design gets a little inspiration from the previous generation, but the materials are vastly improved and the switchgear wears aluminum-look brightwork. The back seats remain strictly for kids, which is a bit disappointing given the Mustang’s 188.3-inch total length—within an inch of a Toyota Camry.
Unlike the Camry, though, the new Mustang GT is a whole mess of fun. Large doses of maturity and refinement have entered the equation, sure, but they make for an improved and more well-rounded whole. The 2015 Mustang handles better, it’s easier to live with, and it acts like a more expensive car. At its $45,885 as-tested price, the GT should behave like it knows its way around a monocle and top hat, and it does. The V-8 version does start at $32,925, but options drive it past $35,000 with ease. Enthusiasts who crave a louder and prouder Mustang can look to the forthcoming GT350, which likely will pack a high-revving V-8 and even more horsepower. For those who want to drive their Mustang every day for the next five years, however, the new GT delivers performance without brutality. View Photo Gallery
PHOTOS (43)

Old 09-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Question

SPECIFICATIONS

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe

BASE PRICE: $32,925

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 302 cu in, 4951 cc
Power: 435 hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 400 lb-ft @ 4250 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.1 in
Length: 188.3 in
Width: 75.4 in Height: 54.4 in
Curb weight (C/D est): 3750 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.0 sec
Top speed: 150 mph

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway: 15/25 mpg

Last edited by Space; 09-19-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cool car. Did you read all the way to the back page? I heard the back page of the manual has a bus pass in case of breakdowns!

Old 09-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Thumbs up

LoL `Tommy,
I like the fastback design on a ride & the new GT with independent rear suspension should handle great compared to the solid axle.

Plus, the above test it did the 1/4 mile in 13 flat & I know I could get it in2 the twelve's 4-Sure > LOL

I do like the sounds of their V8 with a tuned exhaust..., but mid $35K + is a high cost 4 any ride...Some fun does cost more then other fun things. I still have super fun on my skateboard & surfboard...& the streets/parking lot & ocean are `free. LOL

Look forward what our other member's post about the new Mustang ? ? ? ?

Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
Default Cool car

All joking aside I like the new Mustang. I thought I might get a rise out of some of the Mustang fans.

The new Mustang looks fast sitting still and the interior is very attractive.

My wife wants one. Maybe one day I will add one to my Garage.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by GTHSS
All joking aside I like the new Mustang. I thought I might get a rise out of some of the Mustang fans.

The new Mustang looks fast sitting still and the interior is very attractive.

My wife wants one. Maybe one day I will add one to my Garage.

LoL `Tommy, a new Mustang for the wife ? or college for the kids ? >Put the kids to work> LOL

I'm just glad that auto companies are competing with each other for the best vehicle for the price. The consumer's benefit 4-Sure with so many choices. It would be bad `if all the cars looked & were the same.

Thanks for your post & all your contributions

Old 09-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

Personally I dont care for the new Mustang. I don't like how it is so rounded now. It is becoming a two door fusion with that front end. Not to mention everyone and their mother now drives a mustang. I swear at my college half the cars are mustangs. Thats about all you see is those and wrx's.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Arrow 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost 2.3: First Test

2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost 2.3: First Test

New turbo-four tested, dyno'd

By Carlos Lago of Motor Trend
Click to enlarge picture

The 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost 2.3: lower weight, better fuel economy, and 320 lb-ft of torque.

More from Motor TrendThe most amusing thing about the new Mustang is evident when you pop its hood. Here's the longest-running name in the musclecar business, looking all mean and modern and ready for the 21st century. And what do you see in its engine bay? Space.
That space produces a consistent response from people who've just said, "Hey, is that the new Mustang?" Their next comment: "A four-banger?" Perhaps the EcoBoost's greatest downfall is that it demands explanation every time you pop the hood. If you're buying one, here's a cheat sheet: lower weight, better fuel economy, and 320 lb-ft of torque.
Weight? Our automatic-equipped EcoBoost Premium weighed 146 pounds less than the manual GT we tested, and 96 pounds of that came off the nose. Unfortunately, Mustang weight has crept up this generation, and this EcoBoost model is up 128 pounds versus the last V-6 Performance Package we tested.
View Pictures: All-new 2015 Ford Mustang
Horsepower has increased by 5 versus that same V-6 (though new V-6s are rated another 5 hp lower), but torque has increased substantially, up 40 lb-ft. Lean in over the 2.3-liter inline-four, peer over the passenger side, and there, sitting underneath a bit of heat shielding, is the twin-scroll turbo helping supply that power with 18 psi peak boost — if you believe the gauge. In the case of our test car, a six-speed automatic routes that power to a 3.55:1 final drive and locking rear differential, then out to two 9 x 19-inch wheels shod in 255/40 Pirelli P Zero tires. Those parts come with a $1995 Performance Package that also adds beefier braking hardware (13.9-inch rotors/four-piston caliper front and 13.0-inch rotors/single-piston caliper rear) and a larger diameter rear anti-roll bar.
Yes, we wished for a manual, but the auto was the only option available, and it acquitted itself nicely in our testing. With stability control off and the car in Track mode, a launch involved holding both pedals, waiting for boost to surge, and releasing the brake. It's an amusing process, and produced a best 0-60 mph time of 5.6 seconds and a quarter-mile pass of 14.1 seconds at 97.8 mph. The upsized braking hardware and P Zero tires produced a best 60-0 mph stop of 106 feet, with the other three stops hovering in the 107-foot range. Those acceleration results beat the GTI by 0.1 second, but fall short of the potential speed from a WRX launched as if you've stolen it.
The Mustang posted a 25.5-second lap time around the figure eight, tying the WRX but trailing the GTI by 0.4 second. At an average 0.96 g laterally, the Mustang tied what we recorded from the GTI.
Read: 2015 Ford Mustang GT: First test
Considering the lack of weight on the nose, we expected a bit more nimbleness than this Mustang offered. It stops authoritatively and allows aggressive corner entry. Exits are fun, too; the car digs out of corners with a nice amount of stability. But mid-corner behavior is disappointing — the car's attitude feels somewhat soft and soggy, offering a mild understeer that's difficult to adjust. Where the GT likes being adjusted with the throttle — the instant-on V-8 torque allows you to counter the chassis' tendency to push — the turbo doesn't allow this option.
Our figure eight exacerbates this mid-corner behavior. In real-world driving, where turn radii, elevation, and surfaces change, the Mustang was more enjoyable. Jump on a sweeping on-ramp, feed in boost while you dial in that nicely weighted steering, and it's easy — and fun — to push yourself and the car harder
The turbo makes neat whooshes when the hood's open, but unfortunately you don't hear them from inside the cabin. The noise you do hear sounds somewhat mechanical and not unlike the Focus and Fiesta ST. It's aggressive, if not sing-songy.
View Slideshow: Celebrating 50 years of the Mustang
The interior design matches the sharp exterior. You can sense the Mustang traces in the layout, but controls and screens feel modernized — amusingly, the speedometer is labeled Ground Speed. The driver's seat offers great forward visibility, and you can use the hood's visible creases as reference markers. The shifter falls easily under your hand, as do all the steering wheel-mounted controls
There are quite a few of those controls. Our EcoBoost was fully loaded, with heated and cooled seats, adaptive cruise control, dual zone climate control, and so on. Though the Premium trim started at $29,996 and totaled $37,660 after options, dropping items such the adaptive cruise control ($1195), that automatic ($1195), and a few others makes sense for enthusiasts. But if you're going down that route, the non-Premium EcoBoost starts at $25,995, cutting out satellite radio and the options mentioned above.

Continued: On the dyno

Last edited by Space; 09-20-2014 at 01:04 PM.