Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

*2015 Ford Mustang Spy Photos* Independent rear suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question *2015 Ford Mustang Spy Photos* Independent rear suspension ?

Future Cars posted on the MCF so that we keep informed of what will be out there on the Roads of `Life...

Post your comments on the below...Competition is good for the consumers 4-Sure "Ford, keep improving & keep Chevy on their toes to compete" It's `all GOOD
<HGROUP>2015 Ford Mustang Spy Photos

The next-gen Stang registers as an independent. For now, at least.

</HGROUP></HEADER>
  • June 2012
  • BY ALEXANDER STOKLOSA
  • MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHERS<!-- class="multiple" added when multiple authors or photographers -->
  • CHRIS DOANE AUTOMOTIVE,
  • KGP PHOTOGRAPHY, AND
  • THE MANUFACTURER
What It Is: A hacked-together 2015 Ford Mustang prototype based on the current car. The next-gen Mustang is set to debut sometime in 2014 with the current model’s six- and eight-cylinder engines. An EcoBoost four-cylinder engine will be added to the lineup, as well.
Why It Matters: Like you don’t know. This is the original pony car, the affordable sporty car for the everyman; and any major revision to the Mustang is reason to sit up and take notice. The 2015 Mustang is shaping up to be a revolutionary iteration of the breed; it’s expected to shrink slightly in size, offer turbocharged power for the first time in almost three decades, and—prepare yourself—might finally ditch its solid rear axle for an independent setup.
Platform: We expect the next Mustang will sit on a heavily revised version of the outgoing car’s platform. The biggest change, of course, is headed for the pony car’s rear suspension. There’s a pretty good chance the current model’s archaic solid rear axle will go the way of the dodo. We’ve heard Ford has yet to make a final decision as to whether the new Mustang will get a solid or independent rear suspension, but that the independent rear is more likely given that all of the Mustang’s competitors have one. (The previous-gen car was tested with both types before Ford settled on keeping the stick axle.) The only factory Mustang to ever ride on an independent rear suspension was the SVT Cobra model produced between 1999 and 2004.
Which brings us to the car in these spy photos—it clearly has IRS. (Update: A new photo has been added below that gives a better look at the IRS setup on this prototype; an image of the current Mustang's solid rear axle also was added for comparison.) A suspension arm is visible in the rear shots, and the rear wheels have a healthy amount of camber. (Solid axles don’t have camber—the wheels are perpendicular to the plane of the axle.) We’ve learned most of the length reduction will come from the car’s rear overhang, and the width adjustment is visible on this test car’s ill-fitting roof panel. Both coupe and convertible body styles will again make production. Although the prototype car in these photos is wearing current-gen retro-look Mustang body panels, we expect that the 2015 car’s cosmetics will fall somewhere between that model and Ford’s recent Evos concept car.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=429><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR><TR class=bglight><TD vAlign=top><CENTER>2015 Ford Mustang independent rear suspension</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=429><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR><TR class=bglight><TD vAlign=top><CENTER>2013 Ford Mustang solid rear axle</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Powertrain: The Mustang’s 3.7-liter V-6 and 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 will return for 2015—possibly with the addition of direct injection—but will be joined by a turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder engine. Ford <LINK4>already confirmed that an EcoBoost is headed for the Mustang, but didn’t specify when. We’re told it will arrive with the redesigned model—and not before—and that it likely will be Ford’s 2.0-liter mill.</LINK4>
So where would the EcoBoost four fit into the Mustang’s engine lineup? In Ford’s Edge and Explorer crossovers, the EcoBoost is a step-up engine that’s marketed for its fuel efficiency. The Mustang SVO model Ford peddled in the mid-1980s featured a turbocharged four, and it was considered the most premium and sport pony in the lineup. We doubt such a trim-level hierarchy would fly for the current Mustang; back then, the turbo four made power comparable to that of the “4.9” V-8 on offer. Today, we are blessed with Ford’s wonderful 5.0 V-8, which makes 420 hp in the Mustang GT. So, expect the four-cylinder to slot somewhere below the V-8, possibly as the base engine.
Competition: Chevrolet Camaro, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ.
Estimated Arrival Time and Price: The 2015 Mustang will debut sometime in 2014, although Ford may initially debut it as a 2014.5 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first 1964.5 model. Don’t be surprised if the Mustang gets a little more expensive; some increase in price is nearly guaranteed if the independent rear suspension makes it to production. View Photo Gallery
<NAV class=mod>PHOTOS (59)</NAV>

Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 AM

There has been much speculation about the next-generation Ford Mustang, and what type of suspension it will have. According to Car and Driver, a 2015 Ford Mustang prototype was spotted and it wasn’t much to look at on the outside, but underneath, the test mule revealed a noticeable change to the rear suspension. The solid rear axle was gone and a new independent suspension with aluminum control arms was clearly evident.
What this means for the 2015 Ford Mustang, is that we can say goodbye to the old pony car of the past, and usher in the new global design that has been long overdue. In a recent article here on the 2015 Ford Mustang, we have talked about the new exterior global design that will likely look like the Ford Evos Concept car. It looks like Ford will not only address the much needed exterior design changes, but will also revamp the antiquated suspension on the Ford Mustang.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:18 AM

Member's what do you think of above ? Like ? Don't Like ?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space

<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=429><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR><TR class=bglight><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=429><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR><TR class=bglight><TD vAlign=top><CENTER> </CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Looks nice. But do I have to get it with the Car & Driver logo on it? Is that an option I can opt out of?

Seriously, the Mustang is a nice, fast car. But it just doesn't do it for me. Nothing against people who own a Mustang. The current generation body style just doesn't inspire me.

I would still test drive one if given the chance. But maybe it's because I see so many of them. It's kinda like the Camaro and Challenger. There's so many of them on the road, I get tired of seeing them. Unless someone did some custom work to theirs that makes it stand out. Then I'm interested.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Space
...underneath, the test mule revealed a noticeable change to the rear suspension. The solid rear axle was gone and a new independent suspension with aluminum control arms was clearly evident...It looks like Ford will not only address the much needed exterior design changes, but will also revamp the antiquated suspension on the Ford Mustang.
It's about time! The Mustang has always had atrocious handling which is the main reason I never cared much for them. Hopefully the new IS will eliminate the problematic understeer and keep the rear end from wanting to come around while cornering.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:55 AM

...Thanks `Lou (Taz) & Mike for your posts & comments.

I'm just happy that the American auto companies are creating & producing updated performance models.
I hope the Mustang does `go for Independent Susp & Direct Injection...

I love seeing the competition between auto companies to have the best/fastest ride out there...We the consumer's benefit `if we have the $'s to buy & enjoy their products...

Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 AM

but they did perfect the LRA if fords gonna do it they better be even better handling like porsche levels lol. fyi the mustang always has and always will out corner a camaro in the real world. aka more weight makes a car roll badly in corners the camaro IS A FAT OBESE PIG I'm a ford guy can't ya tell lol

Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 AM

the camaro IS A FAT OBESE PIG I'm a ford guy can't ya tell lol

Freedom of speech 4-Sure, but I find it sad when a member has to bash a Chevy Camaro..., or GM Products.
I respect your right to your opinions, but I just don't agree that your comments belong on a Chevy Monte Carlo site.
Below is a link you may want to check out & join ?
FordForum.com

Last edited by Space; 06-09-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 AM

I'm not one for too much weight is all my dad has had 2 fobodys and his 72 monte with a 350 wayyyyyyy back as his first i love the monte though it has its flaws like the backend that hops and skips everywhere when its bumppy in a corner lol point being i just dont like the newer camaros i like the 1970 and the newer one just is meh to me it looks ok but i feel like it would benefit from losing weight im going to be going into mechanical engineering in the fall hoping to get into one of the detroit three if its GM ill fight for a lighter camaro trust me lol

Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Well you don't see to many 2013 Mustangs yet.......
I'm not liking the "future of the Mustang" so I'm be happy with my 2013 - still retro looking. By the time I trade the Stang maybe there will be another Monte available.

Quick Reply: *2015 Ford Mustang Spy Photos* Independent rear suspension ?