Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

* What is a Chromebook ? Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mod mike has it spot on. Buy based on your intended use. Basic computing like web browsing and such you don't need anything super fancy.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Mod `Mike for your time & expertise 4-Sure

I hope your posts also helps other member's that may have problems & don't know all of your posted information.

WoW, I sure learn a lot on the MCF & would like all member's to have a reliable fast connection, so that they can log on2 the MCF +

p.s. Thanks again `Keane for your post & wisdom

Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Too just add a little bit. It is my understanding that the ChromeBooks are pretty crappy for the price.

They have a small solid state drive that the Chrome OS sits on, and you can't access it for your own files. So if you are away from an internet connection, you basically can't do anything.

For the price you can get a fully featured laptop/netbook.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

chromebook sounds like junk to me I like like mike said, walk into an electronics store and walk out with one of the cheaper netbooks/laptops and you should be fine.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

A Chromebook is just like a netbook, except cheaper parts and has Google's operating system on it.

I would stay away from a netbook, they tend to have processors that aren't as good which really slow them down, they're starting to get better, but not where they should be yet.

Space, I would look into a cheaper laptop, maybe look for something with these things:

Intel i3 or i5 or equivalent
250-500 GB Hard Drive
2-4 GB RAM

The rest isn't a huge deal if you're just usually surfing the web and such. One thing that I do see you doing is editing pictures a bit and really playing with pictures a lot, for that I would suggest getting more RAM if possible at a good price.

Personally I would look for something with 4 GB ram and an intel i3 or i5. The i5 isn't completely necessary because you're not doing much light gaming or video editing and stuff.

What I posted above (the first options) is the minimum I would do, computers continue to get better and those are right at the middle of the playing field right now and will do good for you for some time to come.

Another thing to look into is brands and build quality.

I would personally look into HP or ASUS. They are my two favorite Windows based brands and the build quality is great in my opinion.

One thing I would for sure stay away from is computers with plastic shells, they don't take much abuse and the internals tend to be weaker (think Toshiba and some HP models). If I had to choose between the plastic shell computers I would pick the HP's again, my mom and brother both have HP G7 models, the big screens are great and the shells are stronger than my dad's Toshiba, which is currently falling apart.

I have an HP Elitebook that has been dropped various times and doesn't show it at all. It has a metal/aluminum body though.

One thing you may also want to consider is a number pad, if you're doing a lot of work with numbers (Excel) a number pad is completely essential in my opinion.

Those are the main things to worry about, screen size and resolution are all just add-ons that are based off of preference

Old 06-18-2012, 01:54 PM

15 Year Member

psh, you can buy a plug-in numberpad and run a smaller laptop when you want and a number pad when you are crunching numbers :p

Old 06-18-2012, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
psh, you can buy a plug-in numberpad and run a smaller laptop when you want and a number pad when you are crunching numbers :p
sounds like a mac guy speaking

Old 06-18-2012, 02:17 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
sounds like a mac guy speaking
A Mac Guy? I have a home-built PC a MacBook and a Playbook

I use everything. I thought about getting a netbook with Linux on it, but really don't have the need for it.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
A Mac Guy? I have a home-built PC a MacBook and a Playbook

I use everything. I thought about getting a netbook with Linux on it, but really don't have the need for it.
you would get a playbook lol I use my home-built, my hp elitebook, my hp touchpad (OC'd to 1.8 on both for now), jessica's macbook pro, jessica's ipad 3 all on a daily basis just about, I still prefer my stuff lol

Old 06-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks very much `Mitch for your post/time & information.

You, Mod `Mike & `Keane are really `up on all this computer tech devices....I have so much to learn about computer , oh & Life (LOL) 4-Sure

I have a friend that works for NASA & he has vast knowledge of computers, but I am going to have to study & do more research & learn the computer language, so that I can communicate with him...I really think he is an alien from a planet different then me ...I wish I had his knowledge/brain & also his paycheck (WoW)...

Thanks to all member's that posted for sharing your time & knowledge...I really, really appreciate

Quick Reply: * What is a Chromebook ? Help Please