Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

* What is a Chromebook ? Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question * What is a Chromebook ? Help Please

Hi Member's,
My laptop is nearing an end & I am researching the web for a replacement in my future...I am hoping that our computer knowledge member's can post their opinions of the one below and what they think of it...?

I will appreciate your feedback & opinions ? Or recommendation's on a similar priced laptop ? Below one starts at $299. Thank You for reading

What is a Chromebook?
Chromebooks are a new type of computer. They’re fast to use, and don’t slow down over time. They have built-in security, so you’re protected against viruses and malware. They come with apps for all your everyday needs, and keep your stuff safely backed up on the cloud. And with free, automatic updates, your Chromebook keeps getting better and better.

Chromebook and Chromebox: The (always) new computer
Click 4 more infor on above

Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 AM

What is a Chromebook?

The Chromebook is a new, faster computer. It comes with apps built-in for the things you do everyday, and is designed for the cloud so your files are seamlessly saved and backed up online. With free, automatic updates, your Chromebook keeps getting better and better.

Go fast

Get to the things you need quickly and easily. Your Chrome device boots up in seconds, (Space's computer takes over 5 min's)and uses the latest web technology to load web pages with blazing speed. Access all your favorite apps instantly in just one click. And unlike traditional computers, your Chrome device doesn't slow down over time.

Do everything things. Do amazing things. (I like 2 `do amazing things LOL)

Go straight online to creating, sharing and enjoying.(I like to share, it's the way I've been taught) Edit photos, listen to music and watch high-definition video. Collaborate on documents in real time and chat face-to-face. Your Chrome device comes with built-in apps, and thousands more are available from the Chrome Web Store.

Cloud built-in (I'm always in a cloud State of Mind `lol)

Your Chrome device comes with cloud computing features that make your life easier. Never lose another file or photo, and access your stuff securely from anywhere.

Google Drive
  • Your Chrome device lets you easily save your files to Google Drive, so you can pick up where you left off across all your devices, wherever you go. (I always 4-get where I left `off, I get so confused zometimes)

Sync your stuff
  • By running the Chrome browser on your other computers, tablets, and smartphones, the bookmarks, apps, and settings you change on one device instantly update everywhere else.(My present `puter is slow & lazy & does not know instantly)

Print from the cloud
  • Your Chrome device comes equipped for Google Cloud Print, a new technology that lets you access your printers without plugging in any cables.

Easy to share
  • Multiple logins and Guest Mode allow you to share your Chrome device securely with friends and colleagues.(Yes, I will share 4-Sure)

Hassles not included

Your Chrome device is built to cure technology headaches. You don’t even need to set it up – it works right out of the box.
(I need something or someone that works right outa the box (LOL)

Security built-in
Your Chrome device has virus protection is built-in, with multiple layers of security like sandboxing, data encryption and verified boot.(I need all the security I can get, it's scary/dangerous out there on the World Wide Web 4-Sure) I need protection) LOL

No updates needed
Your Chrome device automatically updates itself: all of your apps stay up-to-date, and you get the latest version of the operating system without having to think about it. (I need something to automatically update my spaceBrain/Mind 4-Real)

Files open instantly
Access everyday files using the built-in PDF and document viewer – no need to install software or patches. Movies and music also work automatically with a built-in player so you can enjoy your media without any setup.(I'd love to watch movies on a computer), but I've been banned from all X Rated sites on the Web LOL)

Last edited by Space; 06-18-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Chrome book's im not familiar with. I'd have to do some research on them but i think its a creation from Google. Then you've got ultra books, netbooks, laptops and so on. Whole bunch of computers these days

Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks much `Keane for your post...Yes, I know there are so many devices out there to connect to the web...I get so confused & that is why I thought I would seek help from our Monte Carlo Family that are up to date on all these devices..
Yes, the above is from Goggles. The price seems fair for what they offer.

I'm just having many problems with the old laptop I got from BeachBum `Mike. It's had a lot of use & even the letter's/numerals are wore `off the keyboard LOL

I tried to post the Blog earlier this morning & could not connect...It gets very frustrating 4-Sure...
Peace/Out from `Space

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know anything about them either. But from reading the info you posted, it looks like it's internet based through google. Maybe all your files are saved on their server instead of an internal hard drive? It kind of sounds like your laptop is simply a terminal connected to their system. If you lose your internet connection or their server goes down, you'd be screwed maybe? I don't know.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 AM

Good Morning `Lou & thanks for your words...
I know that I need to do more homework & learn more about computer's...I've never had a computer course & have been self taught & that can be dangerous..

Also, here in Florida or on the Spacecoast we get a lot of power outages from many tropical storms & during the hurricane season & lose connection. Plus, the last one fried my power surge unit & I think it did some damage to my present `puter Florida is the lightening capital of the USA and it's beautiful to watch, but not to get hit

I will continue my search & I hope a few of our member's can add their input on the above...Thanks everyone

Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Yep, sounds like a dummy terminal to me too. I really don't like the cloud idea for personal use. It leaves all your info vulnerable and most EULs give the company the right to snoop through your files any time they feel like it. No thanks. If I have any files that need to be used on a computer outside my home network I clone them to an external drive that I can take with me.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

What do you want the computer for?

We should be able to help once you answer that.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 AM

What do you want the computer for?
^ To connect to the MCF & the outside World
To search the Web & learn.
To be able to watch vid's & not have them hang `up or freeze.

We should be able to help once you answer that. Thank You `Mike & welcome back home to the MCF Family !
=============================
Thanks Seattle `Mike, I have nothing on my `puter that everyone couldn't see `if they wanted to..., but can't you put the things your want on a disk or stick ?, if you did not want others to view ?

I don't do online banking or any private personal sites that are confidental...
Thanks everyone for your input..

Old 06-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

So you just want a basic computer for web surfing? Don't need any high processing power or anything?

If you don't want to try a cheap-o laptop (just go into any store and look at their laptops, buy the cheapest one they have). You could try a netbook.

This is a decent sized and decent looking netbook: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00719CH0O/?tag=pkebooks-20

Really you just need to find a computer, then you need to uninstall all of the junk that comes on it, (especially any pre-installed virus software).

Install Firefox and Google Chrome
Use Microsoft Security Essentials as your virus/spyware scanner: Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
Download the free version of CCLeaner: CCleaner - Download

And just make sure you scan your computer at least every other week, and use CCleaner at the same time. Also good to Defragment your hard drive at least once a month.

If you do this, your computer's registry should stay functional, you shouldn't have any conflicts, and you should get a computer that lasts a good amount of time.

Quick Reply: * What is a Chromebook ? Help Please