Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

* Motor Trend: Car of the Year *

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile * Motor Trend: Car of the Year *

Motor Trend: Tesla Model S Car of the Year

Electric sedan takes the coveted crown after Motor Trend's rigorous testing.

Member's, What car would you have chosen ? ? ?

<CITE>By James Tate of MSN Autos</CITE>

Click to enlarge picture
Motor Trend Car of the Year Finalists

More from Motor TrendThe Tesla Model S is the 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year. The luxury 5-door electric sedan fought off 10 other finalists for the Golden Calipers trophy, acing the magazine's six judging criteria in the process. Eleven judges reviewed the contenders, including three guests, and for the first time in the award's history all 11 voted unanimously for the winner. Each car was evaluated on advancement in design, engineering excellence, efficiency, and safety and value. While 25 vehicles were eligible to win, judges narrowed down the field to the final few over two weeks of solid testing.
The final contenders

Initially, the 2013 Ford Fusion seemed a shoo-in for the award, as judges praised the redesigned sedan's wide range of drivetrains and athletic performance, but in the end, testers found issue with the vehicle's driving dynamics and steep price tag. Guest judge Chris Theodore said, "The Fusion is a world-class car, but because it does not establish a new benchmark, I ranked it fifth."
More on the Ford Fusion from Motor Trend
If the Fusion needed to outperform any other vehicle in the competition, it was the 2013 Honda Accord. The midsize Honda sedan, an all-new generation, now comes with available direct-injection and a continuously variable transmission to increase fuel economy. Judges also appreciated the Accord's light-on-its-feet driving dynamics. Ultimately, the finished package wasn't enough of a revolution to nab the crown.

The surprise entry on the finalist list had to be the Ford C-MAX Hybrid; Motor Trend isn't known for lavishing love on anything with a battery pack. Those vehicles offer leaps in efficiency that are often offset by sacrifices in dynamics. The C-Max earned praise for its excellent value, engaging character and capacious cabin, but those attributes weren't enough to overcome a flimsy-feeling interior.
More on the Ford C-Max from Motor Trend

Speaking of interior woes, the 2013 BMW 3-Series found itself on the pointed end of the judges' ire for its interior's quality. Motor Trend said the 3-Series DNA "is being diluted with poorer steering and convoluted interior design made of noticeably compromised materials." That may sound harsh, but the German sedan continued to perform well, almost by default. While the suspension exhibits more body roll than previous versions, the 3-Series still won favor for its poise on the track.

Judges couldn't help but pit the 3-Series against the 2013 Cadillac ATS, and rightly so. Cadillac came gunning specifically for the 3-Series with its newest compact luxury sedan. The ATS won laurels for its steering, firm chassis and capable Brembo brakes, but lost points for the shift action on its manual transmission. Likewise, the 4-door was docked for having too firm a suspension in sport mode.

More on the Cadillac ATS from Motor Trend
Toyota is actively pursuing younger buyers with its Avalon sedan, and the judges seemed pleased with the company's efforts so far. Guest judge Jim Hall said, "The Limited trim level's interior is a genuinely special place." Other testers found the vehicle's dynamics to be ahead of even the Lexus ES. With precise steering and powerful engine options, the car has its fans, but a coarse hybrid version brought down the model wide average.

More on the Toyota Avalon from Motor Trend
As much as Motor Trend seemed to enjoy the Avalon cabin, Digital Director Mike Floyd found the interior of the 2013 Lexus GS all the more impressive, saying, "If there were an Interior of the Year sub award, the GS would have won it, hands down." The evaluation panel also enjoyed the vehicle's handling, even in hybrid guise. But those attributes weren't enough to outweigh the sedan's troubling styling.

Continued: Porsche comes up shortRelated ContentRead more news-related articles

Last edited by Space; 11-13-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 AM

Hi Member's, I don't know to many people that could afford Motor Trends Car of the Year at a cost of over $60 K...

Motor Trend must cater to Rich People

You should watch the video's in above post to see who the judges are that made this choice :confus ed:
I just don't understand sometimes, many times 4-Sure

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Contenders and Finalists < Click 2 view the judges (WoW) No Wonder (LOL)

* Note ^ above is about a ten minute vid, & the testing track is beautiful, but I sure don't agreee with the judges ?
If you watch it ?, please post your thoughts.....? ? ? ?

Last edited by Space; 11-14-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 AM

Tried of Reading, then watch some vid's

<LI class=vxp_gallery_item data-videoId="75e78fca-0af1-47bb-93a5-89c224a210a0" data-isBing="false" data-isMmvSupported="true" data-isMultiLiteSupported="true" data-isHtml5Supported="true" data-isExternal="false" data-dateLabel="Date" data-playerType="Msn" data-playerAdapter="MsnFlash, MsnSilverlight, MsnHtml5" data-dataIndex="0" data-motionThumb="http://ts3.mm.bing.net/videos/thumbnail.aspx?murl=http%3a%2f%2fvideo.msn.com%2fv ideo.aspx%3fmkt%3den-us%26vid%3d75e78fca-0af1-47bb-93a5-89c224a210a0&bn=MotionThumb" data-providerId="75e78fca-0af1-47bb-93a5-89c224a210a0"><A style="TEXT-DECORATION: none" class="vxp_motionThumb vxp_playerUrl" title="We look at three fun, high-performance cars that can be had for under $25,000." href="http://editorial.autos.msn.com/media/video/default.aspx?videoId=75e78fca-0af1-47bb-93a5-89c224a210a0&ocid=xnetr1-1#" data-insttype="video" data-instkey="75e78fca-0af1-47bb-93a5-89c224a210a0" data-instname="Thumb">

Video Added

Now Playing
Up Next
High power, low price

<LI class="vxp_gallery_item vxp_playlist_playing" data-videoId="6d79c7e4-c747-43f5-afc6-29be3cc3c6e6" data-isBing="false" data-isMmvSupported="true" data-isMultiLiteSupported="true" data-isHtml5Supported="true" data-isExternal="false" data-dateLabel="Date" data-playerType="Msn" data-playerAdapter="MsnFlash, MsnSilverlight, MsnHtml5" data-dataIndex="1" data-motionThumb="http://ts3.mm.bing.net/videos/thumbnail.aspx?murl=http%3a%2f%2fvideo.msn.com%2fv ideo.aspx%3fmkt%3den-us%26vid%3d6d79c7e4-c747-43f5-afc6-29be3cc3c6e6&bn=MotionThumb" data-providerId="6d79c7e4-c747-43f5-afc6-29be3cc3c6e6"><A style="TEXT-DECORATION: none" class="vxp_motionThumb vxp_playerUrl" title="Just because you need a family sedan doesn't mean you can't have fun. We pick three powerful, stylish sedans that are anything but dull." href="http://editorial.autos.msn.com/media/video/default.aspx?videoId=75e78fca-0af1-47bb-93a5-89c224a210a0&ocid=xnetr1-1#" data-insttype="video" data-instkey="6d79c7e4-c747-43f5-afc6-29be3cc3c6e6" data-instname="Thumb">

Video Added

Now Playing
Up Next
Sedans with attitude

<LI class="vxp_gallery_item vxp_playlist_next" data-videoId="d27418d0-f618-4e11-9765-3089735ec387" data-isBing="false" data-isMmvSupported="true" data-isMultiLiteSupported="true" data-isHtml5Supported="true" data-isExternal="false" data-dateLabel="Date" data-playerType="Msn" data-playerAdapter="MsnFlash, MsnSilverlight, MsnHtml5" data-dataIndex="2" data-motionThumb="http://ts3.mm.bing.net/videos/thumbnail.aspx?murl=http%3a%2f%2fvideo.msn.com%2fv ideo.aspx%3fmkt%3den-us%26vid%3dd27418d0-f618-4e11-9765-3089735ec387&bn=MotionThumb" data-providerId="d27418d0-f618-4e11-9765-3089735ec387"><A style="TEXT-DECORATION: none" class="vxp_motionThumb vxp_playerUrl" title="Navigation systems and heated seats are common features - how about seat massagers or laptop mounts for your car? Here are some of the over-the-top options that you may want but probably don't need." href="http://editorial.autos.msn.com/media/video/default.aspx?videoId=75e78fca-0af1-47bb-93a5-89c224a210a0&ocid=xnetr1-1#" data-insttype="video" data-instkey="d27418d0-f618-4e11-9765-3089735ec387" data-instname="Thumb">

Video Added

Now Playing
Up Next
Over-the-top car features

Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know, 'Space... I've had my eye on a 2011+ Mustang here lately....

Old 11-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Up to 300 miles per charge and a base price of around $50K is a big step in the electric car world. The S Signature model reservations for the U.S. are already sold out. I think we're going to see more of Tesla in the future. Hopefully some of their engineering and styling practices will rub off onto the U.S. manufacturers and we'll see more variety and sporty electric models to choose from. I wouldn't mind having the Tesla Roadster:

The Electric Tesla Roadster | Tesla Motors

Old 11-14-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
I don't know, 'Space... I've had my eye on a 2011+ Mustang here lately....
...Hi `Duane, when you get both eyes on the Mustang you like, I hope you have the funds to get it & have some `fun I like the Mustangs & like the direction they are going. Good Luck on getting the ride that you'd love to own/drive 4-Sure

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Up to 300 miles per charge and a base price of around $50K is a big step in the electric car world. The S Signature model reservations for the U.S. are already sold out. I think we're going to see more of Tesla in the future. Hopefully some of their engineering and styling practices will rub off onto the U.S. manufacturers and we'll see more variety and sporty electric models to choose from. I wouldn't mind having the Tesla Roadster:

The Electric Tesla Roadster | Tesla Motors

Hi Seattle `Mike,
I also think the Tesla is a super car & maybe it deserves the car of the year by Motor Trend for the best car for the `Rich, but I don't think the majority of people in the auto buying market could afford a Tesla. (I know that I can't)

I just personally think the Car of the Year should be a car that everyone could afford, or strive to achieve in their lifetime.

I love to dream about many types of cars, but in reality I must purchase the best ride that I can, 4 the( $'s) dollars I can spend. I'd just like to see Motor Trend choose a ride as Car of the Year that the majority of their readers could obtain...

Congrat's to Telsa & to `all that can afford to purchase one