New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Trying to help out the old man...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:47 PM

I know a lot of it plays into what people think or are willing to pay for the car, my Camaro was 95% rust free and everything looked perfect, needed exhaust work though and ebfore the engine started going I was asking $5,000 and no one was interested at all, I saw other listed for higher prices not even as nice as mine and of course they were not selling either, I had ridiculously insulting emails someone offred me an 86 Civic, she said it had rust, needed door handles and had 234k, another person offred me and 84 caddy with 24s, and someone offered me a speed boat and this was for a 1986 Camaro Iroc Z with 65k, I stuck it out until I got my first Monte a 04 LS with 78k on it but I had it up for sale for a year and a half I'd say it was a hard car to move, thats why If I ever get an older car like that agin I'm making sure its just for fun to tinker with and sell for cheap or one I'll be keeping.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by MCHammer
gotcha, thanks for the advice. Not really needing advice on the mechanics of it tho, just wondering what kinda money we should ask for it, and if anyone is interested. I need to get some pictures for you guys too. The paint is in good shape, dad had it painted probably about 15 years ago, and its been in the garage for 10 of those years at least, and previously when we drove it, it was garage kept... As far as the original engine, we just dumped that along with a load of other junk. I doubt really that anyone would be looking for a 80 monte in original trim... Its a great car, but i figure most people would turn this car into a cruiser or maybe a race car? It definitley will need tires, the brakes will be fine, i guess i could flush the fluid but it will probably will be fine too. It has no engine or trans in right now. Dad kinda has a selection for whoever would be interested. We'd rather sell it rolling only...
Originally Posted by Enzo354
It's not a roller I thought. I would put it on craigslist for 2k and see what you can get out of it. Or get it running, you might not want to sell it. And even if it doesn't run good no way is it worth only 700. That is ridiculous.
Where I'm from no engine or transmission equals a roller. If this was a muscle car or a 57 Chevy 2 door if would bring some really good money. This car is none of these things. It is originally a V-6 80 Monte Carlo coupe. It may be rust free and have nice paint and interior, but it's got no engine or transmission in a body that isn't anything special. Scrap metal prices are high right now. If he is offered anything over scrap he should take it and run. The only buyers for this car is someone looking for parts, someone building a race car, scrap metal, or someone who has an engine and tranny looking for a body. Finding decent roller bodies are not hard and most people would prefer to build something other than an 80 Monte. I'm not dumping on this car, just being realistic which is what he asked for in post one. If the car were in central Florida I'd be interested, but it is in Maryland. I'm not going to travel half way across the country for a project when I can find a similar car within fifty miles of home.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Moparman,
Isn't this a Monte Carlo forum??? Kinda odd to see a Moparman hangin out in good ole GMville... JK!! I kinda found this site and figured if there was any place online that would help out with unloading this thing, this would be it. Obviously it won't be an easy car to sell, like I said, thats why I came here to see if there was interest... I agree that it will be hard to sell.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM

And, I did say Dad has a SELECTION of engines and transmissions. It once had a 350 turbo in it, it also had a 700r4 in it, both still available. We have about 10-12 small block chevys, and a few Big blocks...

Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 AM

Moparman,
Isn't this a Monte Carlo forum??? Kinda odd to see a Moparman hangin out in good ole GMville... JK!! I kinda found this site and figured if there was any place online that would help out with unloading this thing, this would be it. Obviously it won't be an easy car to sell, like I said, thats why I came here to see if there was interest... I agree that it will be hard to sell.
I had an 81 Monte Carlo Turbo fall into my lap. The turbo was only available two years 80 and 81. It is a very rare car and I found this site looking for info on restoring it. This is a cool site so I stuck around. Really good people here and I'm still looking for my info.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:06 AM

And, I did say Dad has a SELECTION of engines and transmissions. It once had a 350 turbo in it, it also had a 700r4 in it, both still available. We have about 10-12 small block chevys, and a few Big blocks...
Get her running again and it will sell for a decent amount and it will be easier to sell.