New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Still Rust Sick

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Default Still Rust Sick

Well, here I am again, still sick about the rust on the rear passenger wheel well of my garage kept, and babied, low mileage (33,000 miles), 2006 Monte Carlo SS. I reveived two estimates for removing this rust. One is, what I consider outrageous, of over $4,700.00 from a Body Shop which entails basically removing everything and replacing with new parts. Or else, they said, "Just get rid of it!" WHAT??? Get rid of it!!! I love this car, and it basically looks like new. And besides, I can't afford a new car. And what does GM offer in a 2-door??

I received another estimate from a friend of a family member which entails cutting out the rusted area and welding in a new metal piece (or pieces), rust proofing and painting for somewhere around $500.00 to $600.00. This sounds like a more reasonable way to go.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I called the GM hotline, and they won't do anything about this issue because it isn't considered a recall. It is just considered usual wear and tear.

Last edited by carenthusiast; 08-01-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: adding additional info.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by carenthusiast
Well, here I am again, still sick about the rust on the rear passenger wheel well of my garage kept, and babied, low mileage (33,000 miles), 2006 Monte Carlo SS. I reveived two estimates for removing this rust. One is, what I consider outrageous, of over $4,700.00 from a Body Shop which entails basically removing everything and replacing with new parts. Or else, they said, "Just get rid of it!" WHAT??? Get rid of it!!! I love this car, and it basically looks like new. And besides, I can't afford a new car. And what does GM offer in a 2-door??

I received another estimate from a friend of a family member which entails cutting out the rusted area and welding in a new metal piece (or pieces), rust proofing and painting for somewhere around $500.00 to $600.00. This sounds like a more reasonable way to go.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I called the GM hotline, and they won't do anything about this issue because it isn't considered a recall. It is just considered usual wear and tear.
I recently over the winter had some rust repaired..(cut out and replaced with new metal) and youd never know it was done! I have the "Typical" 5th Gen rust...

Your rust issue is typical of the 2006's...
Im guessing that somewhere in that area it retains water..via foam (sound deadening material).. Or the design of the overall inner wheel well design.
IMO..

But a reputable shop that knows what there doing should be able to remedy the problem.

Please keep us up to date on the progress as well as the process they used to resolve the rust issue.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know a bunch of people have had rusted sections cut out and rust free ones put in. Remember this rule:
You get what you pay for

Try to look at some of the work both people have done and see if you feel it is acceptable. Cutting out the bad and welding in good I don't think is a problem so long as the workmanship if good.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I know a bunch of people have had rusted sections cut out and rust free ones put in. Remember this rule:
You get what you pay for

Try to look at some of the work both people have done and see if you feel it is acceptable. Cutting out the bad and welding in good I don't think is a problem so long as the workmanship if good.
Very true Jason!
As we all know...theres no guarantee when it comes to rust repair. It isn't a forever repair..

But it is possible for it to last a good number of years when done correctly...

Mine cost me $1000.00
But I had needed repairs done on both sides of the rear quarter panels.