New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

SBC Help pls. 67 caprice with 77 305

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Default SBC Help pls. 67 caprice with 77 305

So,

My caprice was normally a super reliable car. During the winter I started it and was going to pull out and it died. Couldn't get it to start up. Let it sit, couple of days later tried it again. It would turn over and sound like it was almost going to start up but would never fire.

Time goes by.

Got the battery recharged and by the way it acted I figured the alt had gone out. Had the alternator tested today and yep, FAIL all across the board. Got the new alt put in, turned it over and still the same thing. It cranks and tries and if I flutter the throttle it will sorta sputter but never takes off. Checked all the fuses, connections, battery straps, etc.

I am not that familiar with carbs and how they work on these cars. I put a test plug on the car and it was getting spark during cranking.

Ideas? Who else has worked on the SBC's alot? I would appreciate it as I want to get it moving again. It's a huge fun boat to drive in the summer despite the gas it consumes. Thanks!!

EDIT: It is defiantly getting gas and I have manually moved the throttle and carb.

2nd post.....

Hmmm, well I have never had a problem with it before. It always has worked well and since it seemed like the alt died, I am still wondering if it might have to do with the ignition system somehow or if it produced a voltage spike that burned something.

When I was trying to get it to start, I eventually just held the pedal to the floor and the car would begin a really weird, fast, almost start sorta state. I will try and get a video to help, it's hard to explain.
However, if normally a car would go......wrrrr....wrrrr....wrrr.....*fire* when i had the pedal mashed it would go wrrrRR..wrrrRR..wrrrRRwrrrRRwrrrRRwrrrRR..{oh look I am almost going to start}... let off and then belch cough sputter die...fail.

Also, I have dealt with carbs and related engines before just not working on them.
Any help would be appreciated!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Default RE: SBC Help pls. 67 caprice with 77 305

I would check to see if the timing chain has gone.

If timing chain is ok then i would check the ign. system

Does the dist. have points or is elec. ignition?

If it has points make sure that they are correctely gapped.

To check the timing chain

Remove the spark plug out of #1 cylinder, crank the engine over until you can hear or feel the piston coming back up on the compression stroke. Remove the dist. cap and see where the rotor is pointing. If it is pointing to #1 cylinder you know the chain is ok.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Default RE: SBC Help pls. 67 caprice with 77 305

Update, this is after spraying a good amount of starter fluid in the throat. It has fresh gas, a new alt, and a new starter solenoid.

Any thoughts?