New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Sale in parts or whole?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:11 AM
1 Year Member
Default Sale in parts or whole?

Hello everyone,

Happy Saint Paddy's Day!

It saddens me to even ask this question. but, when selling a car should I sell it as a parts car or as a whole car.
I have a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS I love the car, although it seems each time I get something repaired on it, two or more things go out.
Should I study auto mechanics and take courses on body work? Would save me a lot of heart aches and money lol

I welcome any and all comments

Old 03-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Me personally I think it depends on the condition of the car. If things are going left and right and it's high mileage. You may not be able to get much selling get it as a whole or maybe trade in value. But then someone might be able to repair everything and use it. And there's always people on here and other monte related sites or social media. That always needs parts. Including me lol so that would be a tough call

Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks Owens,

I purchased the car 3 years ago with a new engine in it. Nothing major wrong with it. just nickel and dime are becoming dollars and more dollars. The body is in good shape couple of small dings. interior good except for a recent tare in the drivers seat. I believe I have a stuck lifter, LH window regulator went out. the sun roof is beginning to stick in the open position. firemen accidentally kicked out the fog light on passengers side which also cracked that area. I'm sure there is more little problems too early to remember all lol....I do have an 86 Monte SS that I will keep forever..seems those years hardly ever have many problems. Would you like to purchase the whole car the 2000? lol I forgot to mention the odometer reads almost 140,000 which isn't true due to the new engine 3 yrs back.

Last edited by ChevyGirl2013; 03-17-2015 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Forgot mileage
Old 03-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Kelly,
Here's my story. I bought My Minion, 02 SS, with 163k on the clock, in Apr 2012. I new it was gonna need work but I had no idea. If I had known the full scope of what I was getting into I would kept on looking for a Monte. I have invested over $10K in parts and repairs in the last 3 years. I practicly rebuilt everything except the motor itself. Sensors, Suspension, Brakes, Exhaust and Trans work all done. And she runs like a dream now. But I have been working on cars (Shade Tree type) for 35 years. I know a lot but I am still learning.

What I want to do hear is answer your question about taking a mechanics course. I think that would be a Good thing but, I think that you can do it without the time and expense of schooling. The way do that is to only learn, get the info, to fix the problem you are working on. You don't have to know how to take a car apart in your sleep to change out a Strut, or replace your Mass Air Flow Sensor. You only need to know how to change that particular part. As you do more work, your knowledge will increase. One day you will wake up and realize, You are a Shade Tree Mechanic! I always recommend having the Haynes manual for you car. It's a Big Help. And then, as a member of MCF, you have access to the best knowledge on all things Monte Carlo.
As far as the Dollars go, Yes, you will have to spend $$$. But if you own your car, not making payments, your ahead of the game.
And if you can drive your Monte, and only do, say 1 repair a month, it doesn't hurt your pocket as bad!
What I spent on My Minion, I did over the course of 3 years, and today, I am Satisfied with my investments in time, $$$ and Bloody Knuckles.
I say, take your time. Learn what you need to know to as you go, and Love your Monte! When your done, she will love you back for many Satisfying years!!!!!

Last edited by JC Colon; 03-17-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

JC speaks a lot of truth about learning to do little things at a time. If you talked to the 16 year old me, he'd never believe the guy I've become if you told him (I never thought I'd wrench on my car, but my dad got me roped into doing little things on my first cars to save money and well, here I am today).

If you have the right resources (books, time, tools, knowledgeable people) around you, you can probably learn and do anything.

It depends on what you really want to do. If you don't want to roll up your sleeves and get dirty working on a car, then it's hard to start this type of journey. But if you are, well, start getting a lite of what needs done and read up.

I'm sure JC can agree a lot with this.... The expansion of forums and YouTube has empowered people to learn from a lot of teachers and learn FAST with great "how to" guides. I've learned a lot of weird stuff because of the Internet (you just have to be careful and weigh out what is good vs bad info).

Old 03-17-2015, 06:24 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
my dad got me roped into doing little things on my first cars to save money and well, here I am today).

If you have the right resources (books, time, tools, knowledgeable people) around you, you can probably learn and do anything.

The expansion of forums and YouTube has empowered people to learn from a lot of teachers and learn FAST with great "how to" guides. I've learned a lot of weird stuff because of the Internet (you just have to be careful and weigh out what is good vs bad info).

While I do not have near the working automotive knowledge that you, and MANY others on the forum, have but I have learned SO much from this forum, by watching and helping my Dad & others, surrounding myself with knowledgeable people, Youtube, and my Chilton's manual. The best experience, IMO, is rolling up your sleeves and getting in there and "getting dirty". Yeah, I probably ask some of the weirdest things but hey, that's how I learn things. I come here and ask a question and no one has ever made me feel like what I asked was dumb nor have I ever felt like I was responded to differently because I am female. Yeah, I wear nail polish when I work on the car but I will smack you with my wrench if you make fun of me!!! j/k
Getting ready to learn how to wire up an electric fan to run off a toggle here soon. Do I know what I am doing??? NOPE!! Doing some research on it right now. No I am not confident in this endeavor because I have not done anything electrical that has involved relays and toggles, etc... Actually kind of scared but I am going to try it. It will either work when I am done or it won't...LOL

Old 03-17-2015, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member

I agree with Jason, and know first hand what Barb is talking about. Even though I have 35 years of wrenching behind me, there are things I have never done. I've never pulled a motor. But I want a 4th gen and I want to put a fuel injected 350 in it. Just the thought of it makes me nervous.
When I was 16, I use to envy my friend who had Modded Cougars and Chargers and Chevelles, and work on them right in front of my apartment building. I new Nothing! I had a Screw Driver and a Pliers. Now, my tool list is too big to list, and the only work I don't do is that which needs to be done on a lift. Although I could be a Professional Mechanic I choose not to. And i don't know Everything there is to know about cars.
You have to decide, like Barb said, are you willing to roll your sleeves up and get down and Dirty under the hood of your car!
The other thing is, Is your Monte Worth the effort to you! We, those of us who put Blood, Sweat and Muscle into our Montes, Know we will never get the $$$ value out of it that we put into it. We do it cause we Love our Cars. Maybe the Monte isn't THAT car for you. Maybe it is. You have to figure that out.
One thing is for sure, we here at MCF will support you. As we do with all members, even those who no longer own Montes.
We Love our Montes, but we Love Being Car Guys and Gals!!!!!

Old 03-17-2015, 08:10 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
One thing is for sure, we here at MCF will support you. As we do with all members, even those who no longer own Montes.
We Love our Montes, but we Love Being Car Guys and Gals!!!!!
Nicely put JC!!

Old 03-17-2015, 08:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I think it's interesting reading some of the great statements in this thread. Something I have learned over time listening to people:
- Those who grew up in the time of the carburetor (before computers in cars) tend to really hate fuel injected cars with computers.
- Those who grew up with modern fuel injection are don't fear the carb, but are a bit out of there element.
- Some people who barely used to hold a wrench in their hands now use statements like "there is so much computer technology in cars now, you really can't work on them".

What I get at with all those statements, you are simply limited to what you're willing to do.
I have some know how (very little) on the world of carbs (as my '84 Camaro, old school card and distributor, the "computer" in the car was just to monitor for the idiot lights). I feel when you start learning how to understand the data from your trouble codes and such, computerized fuel injection has made some aspects of maintenance and repair easier.

And as for those who use the "well you really can't work on your own cars because of the computers", I've looked at those people and said "you do realize, I get my hands dirty often wrenching on cars to save some money?" I hate that line, as I don't feel car technology is truly there. If anything, advancements in computer tech has empowered the "shade tree mechanic". Get a bluetooth ELM OBD-II adapter, some cheap/free software on a smart phone or PC and you can do far more then a cheap code reader for a lot less.

Again, only limited to what you're willing to learn or not learn (do or not do).

I would not have the great cars I have today if it was not for the wrenches and ratchets I turn with my two hands

Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member

I hope Kelly doesn't feel Overwhelmed with all these post on her Tread! But it goes to show, whether we know a little or a lot, we all are, Passionate About Cars!!!!

Quick Reply: Sale in parts or whole?