New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Sail Panel Emblem/Trunk Latch Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Default Sail Panel Emblem/Trunk Latch Emblem

I have a 1980 Monte Carlo that I owned for 24 years (Had since I was 16) and since 2009 been doing a complete frame off resto/performance build. I am in the final stages of fine tuning the little details (Still looking at an engine build too). So here is where I am, with the trunk latch, used on 78 - 80 Monte Carlos. I had taken the latch apart and had it sent to be chromed. And yes I know on ebay for $110 I can have a NOS replacement, but for $50 I can have it sanded smooth (all around the sharp edges) and chromed, and I feel I will get a much better product verses a 35 year old part. Which brings me to this, the center emblem for the trunk latch. This center emblem appears to be the exact size as the OEM sale panel emblem (which I still have the old OEM one). I would like to know the inside dimension of the reproduction sail panels, more specifically, the dimensions of the plastic insert in the sails. I have contacted a few places that sell reproduction sail panels (Gbodyparts, OPGI, Dixiemontecarlodepot, etc) with no one willing to get me these measurements, must be too busy for me. Has anyone purchased these reproduction sail panel emblems and could they measure them for me? More specifically the plastic insert in the sail panel.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I wish I could help with measurements but all of mine are OEM or off another Monte in the junk yard. I can't believe they won't take the time to give you measurements...geez
Here is a place you may want to try also
1978-1988 Monte Carlo Crest Emblem For Quarter Window

BTW Welcome to the forum!!

Last edited by P343; 04-22-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by P343
I wish I could help with measurements but all of mine are OEM or off another Monte in the junk yard. I can't believe they won't take the time to give you measurements...geez
Here is a place you may want to try also
1978-1988 Monte Carlo Crest Emblem For Quarter Window

BTW Welcome to the forum!!

That link is pretty much the dimensions I am looking for. Mikes Monte's sells that emblem crest cheaper. I would still love to know the dimensions, because I would look into removing the plastic insert if the size was correct. But I am curious now P343, with those OEM and/or junk yard emblems, is it possible to remove the plastic insert out of the emblem in one piece? Hoping it wouldn't crack due to sun damage? I could recondition and repaint it from the back side.

And thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry I haven't joined sooner.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:13 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Try a little heat. Use a blowdryer on high heat and warm it up. I used a needle to get between the insert and backing and it popped right out. The adhesive that holds it to the car is MUCH stronger than the whimpy glue holding the insert into the badge.
I put the needle in up near the top center near the "face" there was just a little bit more gap there.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by P343
Try a little heat. Use a blowdryer on high heat and warm it up. I used a needle to get between the insert and backing and it popped right out. The adhesive that holds it to the car is MUCH stronger than the whimpy glue holding the insert into the badge.
I put the needle in up near the top center near the "face" there was just a little bit more gap there.
I guess what I am asking is, could I get a used insert from you? My old insert is broke in peices. Let me know if you have one in decent shape. Thank you.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Badge insert

This is not in perfect shape by any means and there is a small chip in the bottom left that was there when I got it. You might be able to do something with silicone or something.
I would be glad to mail it to you if you would like. It is a spare I had and will not use as the top part of the badge was missing.
My email is at yahoo bwalker1965 send me your name and address in email and I will send it out tomorrow. I put my email like that so the bots don't try to use it...LOL Here is a pic

Attached Thumbnails Sail Panel Emblem/Trunk Latch Emblem-insert.jpg  
Old 04-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.

Barbara very nice of you to help a fellow monte enthusiast out

Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Just paying it forward Ken!!! Whenever I can.
Since we will be rained out this weekend racing, I am going to the junk yard to look for goodies. Hopefully I will find something better because that insert really is not the best and he is going all out to have the badge re-chromed. The place I go has many Montes so while I am looking for stuff I can use, I will be searching for badges. Gonna try to find a double hump cross member this weekend so I can do my exhaust cut outs properly.

Last edited by P343; 04-22-2015 at 10:08 PM.