New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Recently got an 05 Monte SS S/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 07:21 AM
Default Recently got an 05 Monte SS S/C

I was lucky to find a Tony Stewart ltd edition for sale, under 100k miles with a rebuilt motor.
The car looks like someone broke in, but the damage is not very obvious.
I have a feeling someone didn't do maintenance and ruined the motor, thus a rebuild.

The car when I got it started having some odd bucking here and there.
I went ahead and replaced the PCV valve and replaced a cracked hose.
I think the hose was to the fuel pressure regulator.
Have not had it do that bucking problem since.

Runs smooth, lots of up and go.

Had to repair the weather seal on the driver door extensively thanks to the damage from someone I believe breaking into the car with a previous owner.
Had to put a couple shims into the side view mirror because it vibrates from driving. Age, wear, who knows... Just like to vibrate and was annoying.
That power mirror doesn't work, and the heater for the driver's seat doesn't either.

I am guessing, these things are probably due to damage from the possible break in.

Looking to do some upgrades... ZZP has some stuff, and the rest from Trubendz.

From ZZP a 2.5" DP, and from Trubendz a stainless 2.5" catback tubing... but as for mufflers... I think they might not be stock as the car is loud.
I am hoping the mufflers a 2.5" so I can use them on the new stainless exhaust.
If not, I will have to get a pair of 2.5" mufflers.
The cat, I am not sure which to get. Any suggestions on a good 2.5" cat?
Good quality but fair priced.

I hear the U bend on the Monte is crushed to less than 2.25". Also, a car with 240hp, why did they put only a 2.25" exhaust?
2.5" I believe is good up to around 250hp.

I thought about a stage 1 pulley and PCM... but I can only get 91 octane in my area.
Plus, I worry it not being intercooled that pushing boost without tackling intake temps will only press possible predetonations.

The exhaust route should help the motor as like I said, the stock exhaust should have been 2.5" IMO.
This should help engine longevity and give me around 20 more HP from the 2.5" DP, and catback.

I pondered how I might need to go 2.75".
Reason being, if I am at 260hp, the 2.5" will be a hair past it's ability to cope with the output.
Not by much, but I might in the future get an intake or have the TB ported a little and so on.

Anyways, you all get the point.
My list of wants mod wise are short.
Not looking for land speed records, or going to the track.
Just looking to maybe shave 1/3 to 1/2 second off of the 0-60 time.
Stock being 7 seconds I believe.
0-60 in 6.5 to 6.7 would be my goal.
Why? I don't want to be completely stock, and like having an edge.
Also, I want the engine to last a little longer by getting rid of the expending exhaust gasses more efficiently.

Anyways, any suggestions mod wise to get the Monte closer to 6.5 seconds 0-60 but knowing I am stuck with only 91 octane, it would be appreciated.

Thank you all!

Old 03-15-2020, 08:47 AM

I believe the u-bend is closer to like 1.75". That and the cat are really the only restrictions in the exhaust. The front stock manifold is a little restrictive.

Welcome, btw..

Old 03-15-2020, 09:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here are a few things that you may wish to do in the Maintenance of the vehicle to make sure it performs to your needs.
I would probably make sure the Trans fluid is nice an clean for sure.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:52 PM

Welcome to the forums

Old 03-23-2020, 11:15 AM

First, Welcome. Hope you find a lot of helpful information here.

Regarding Transmission Service. Be VERY wary of Transmission Flushes. In many (most cases) it can do more harm that good. Just drop the pan and change filter and new fluid. If the fluid is very dirty, run for a short while and change again but DO NOT FLUSH the bad fluid thru the transmission as done by those flush machines. Overall this is a more expense way to service the transmission but much better in the end because you also get a new/clean filter which the flush does not do.

Now, if your transmission fluid is burnt, then a flush may be in order as your transmission is already damaged and you need to get it all replaced so you don't have many options. Even in this case, make sure the filter is changed. Which those "fly by night" service centers do not want to do.

I have had disagreement with dealerships who only want to flush which I refused and ended up doing it myself. This is even after I pointed out the factory does not recommend a flush.