New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

new member just got a 2004 ss monte w/problems! help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Default RE: new member just got a 2004 ss monte w/problems! help

I am just wondering how much hinden damage there is
The right front looks pretty bad.
The core support is going to need a lot of pulling out from what I can see along with the pass side
wheel well area. Engine craddle might be damaged as well not to mention drive line and steering systems.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:15 PM

im gettin it checked out this week so i'll give you the updates when i get em

Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As someone who worked briefly in an autobody repair shop (many, many years ago), it sounds like the price they gave you may be too good to be true for the amount of repairs needed.

Everything needs to be straightened perfectly or you'll always have problems. And if any major welding is done, it's gotta be done right, or the welds will crack on you at the worst time. It's a shame to have to deem such a nice car "totalled".

If you really want to keep the car that badly, I would spend the extra money and get everything done right by someplace with an excellent reputation. Remember, it'sYOUR life at stake when your in that car going down the freeway! Oh and by the way,you may as well get the whole car painted.The brand new paint will make the old paint on the doors look bad.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:01 AM

Excuse my French, but why in the hell would you buy a wrecked car?
You have no idea what unseen damages this car may have. I mean the amount of money you're trying to throw into this car is strange?
I mean I could see if it were a Ferrari or something, but wow? The roof looks caved in and that's no good, not to mention the airbags are blown?
Maybe I just don't understand people who go and buy wrecked newer cars? Now if it was a older car like a Nova then I could see why ...

Old 12-20-2007, 01:22 AM

All I have to say is what in the gods name happened to that car? I mean the holes in the rear quater panel, dented in roof....was it in a moster truck rally?

Old 12-20-2007, 05:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Part it out. You will more than likely recoop your money and make a profit if you sell its remaining undamaged parts. I work at a body shop and trust me, no one can look at a reck like that and say without a doubt how much it will cost to fix it. There is always something that you didnt see that ends up costing you more money. Plus these unibody cars are difficult to pull back into shape, especially if you have to pull on the engine cradle, since its not perminently attached. You will never really get it back to the way it was. By the time you are done you will end up spending more money than the car is worth or even than you would have paid for an unwrecked one. And dont even get me started on the roof and that qt panel.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

I'm with mrl390, part her out and put the $$ on another car. I'm not sure 5 grand would fix it, IF it can even truely be fixed.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:02 AM

That's a big kiss on the front, there. You will definitely need to have it on the frame machine getting it pulled-over some. Then, comes the parts you are going to need. I can see you needing the hood ant front quarter, but without looking at the car in the light you can't tell what else will need to be straightened and filled.

Quite a project. I hope there's nothing wrong with the engine compartment and internals that will sneak-up and bite you once yo decide to Green Light the Project for getting fixed.

I think you should get a couple of estimates and compare the bottom lines. That's what I'd do. Don't get low-balled and wind up on the hook for a couple grand more than you expect because you didn't have everything calculated-in to begin with.

Just my opinion. Good luck with it. I hope you can get it fixed-up nice and enjoy it.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 PM

for parts i would try ebay i am always on there and see alot of different things for the exterior of the car and like everyone else has mentioned i would be picky on who you get the work done by cause you know the saying you get what you pay for.

good luck

Old 12-20-2007, 05:34 PM

I will have to agree with others. PART IT OUT!

That is a major roof buckle and your floor pans have been tweaked for sure.

Under the hood you can see the passenger side brace has been bent towards the center. The brace was not hit in the accident, rather the force of the accident shifted the brace in and bent it pulling all of the sheetmetal, radiator support, brackets and whatnot with it!!

The alignment on that car will never be correct.

Finally the interior looks like a family of raccoons walked across the seats. The door panels look wasted, airbags, rain through the broke glass on the electronics and floorboards need I say any more?

I am pretty good at repairing cars, but I would walk away from this one even at a loss.

Quick Reply: new member just got a 2004 ss monte w/problems! help