New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member With an '88 SS, and Maybe an '06-'07 SS Soon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

whoa, that is sweet looking man, thanks for the pics, snow wise, nobody has really said they are bad in the snow, i was wondering the same with mine also, but everyone says it goes good!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
OK, now let me try to get some responses in order. First, to MouSe, mex24x, and Rick, a few direct SS-related questions. How easy is it to get into the rear seats, do they slide forward quick, or does it have that slow electric motor setup like in the GTO? My kids are 6 and 3, so I'd be climbing back there on an almost daily basis to buckle them in and want it to be as easy as possible. And, do any of you guys have experience with driving them in the snow? How do they behave? And, what's your real-world gas mileage for city driving? My commute is about 10 miles each way on local roads so that's what I'm mostly concerned with.
Ok, the rear seat is a cinch for me to get into. My son is 19 months and 21 pounds so I still have him rear facing. My driver side is electric while the passenger is manual. The passenger has what Chevy calls "express forward". Meaning all you do is either pull on the recline handle or the up on the handle on the back of the seat and it tilts all the way forward and slides all the way up in one movement. Then I just crawl in the back, buckle the little guy in, then get out and put the seat back. Takes me about 3 minutes if he cooperates with me.

Gas mileage 50/50 is about 18-19 MPG. I've heard of people who do all city and they say they get about 15-17. So I guess it's all in how you drive.

I can't say how my car does in snow, I live in Florida, but my mom's 07 Impala (non ss, but same width tires) who lives in Missouri says she has no problems as long as it's not so deep the front end starts to plow. I think mine would do worse though because I have really wide tires on mine...255's so yeah, but the stock SS wheels have a thinner tire so you should be good.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My parent's have an 06 SS. I can say that the car doesn't handle as well as mine in the snow, but it's not bad at all. I honestly think the 18s are to blame compared to my 16s, but we NEVER had a problem where we lost complete control of the car (and they live up in the poconos, where the snow can get really bad)

Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MouSe
Ok, the rear seat is a cinch for me to get into. My son is 19 months and 21 pounds so I still have him rear facing. My driver side is electric while the passenger is manual. The passenger has what Chevy calls "express forward". Meaning all you do is either pull on the recline handle or the up on the handle on the back of the seat and it tilts all the way forward and slides all the way up in one movement. Then I just crawl in the back, buckle the little guy in, then get out and put the seat back. Takes me about 3 minutes if he cooperates with me.

Gas mileage 50/50 is about 18-19 MPG. I've heard of people who do all city and they say they get about 15-17. So I guess it's all in how you drive.

I can't say how my car does in snow, I live in Florida, but my mom's 07 Impala (non ss, but same width tires) who lives in Missouri says she has no problems as long as it's not so deep the front end starts to plow. I think mine would do worse though because I have really wide tires on mine...255's so yeah, but the stock SS wheels have a thinner tire so you should be good.
Awesome, thanks for that info! I'm glad the seat works better than the GTO design, that's for sure. My son is old enough (and probably strong enough) where he could even do his own seatbelt, so my only real concern is the 3-year old - she can be, well, uncooperative. I'm getting about 14-15mpg on my commute with my Cherokee, so if I can improve the mileage by going to a V8-powered Monte SS I'm all for it.

And thanks to you and montecarlo 3831 for the snow opinions. I'm a teacher, so if the weather is really bad, I won't have to go into work anyway. It's nice to know I'll be able to get around if I have to though.

Thanks guys!! And I'm more than happy to hear more opinions on the car, especially any feedback on the DoD system or mechanical issues.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Mouse pretty much told you everything you need to know. I live in the midwest and I bought my car mid-winter this year. It was OK with the stock Goodyear RS-A tires. I guarantee if you got a better set of tires or winter tires, you'd be more than fine.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:25 PM

Awesome, thanks for that info! I'm glad the seat works better than the GTO design, that's for sure. My son is old enough (and probably strong enough) where he could even do his own seatbelt, so my only real concern is the 3-year old - she can be, well, uncooperative. I'm getting about 14-15mpg on my commute with my Cherokee, so if I can improve the mileage by going to a V8-powered Monte SS I'm all for it.

And thanks to you and montecarlo 3831 for the snow opinions. I'm a teacher, so if the weather is really bad, I won't have to go into work anyway. It's nice to know I'll be able to get around if I have to though.

Thanks guys!! And I'm more than happy to hear more opinions on the car, especially any feedback on the DoD system or mechanical issues.

DoD system...sucks if you only do city driving. Honestly, if the car will hardly, if ever, touch a highway then you'd be better of to disable it. It will make the engine that much longer too. I decided to keep mine because I do a lot of highway driving.

Another thing is this...because there so much power being put to the front wheels, be careful while accelerating out of an intersection. They like to torque steer a lot! If the wheel isn't straight and you really get on it, the car will go in that direction in a hurry.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Both good points. I'd like to disable my DOD, but whatever, I can't afford a tuner right now.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Thanks for all the responses guys and gal! I actually forgot - my very first car when I got my license (back in 1990) was a rusty '76 Monte Carlo, so I've actually owned 5 Montes. The '76 only lasted me a few months because I was 17 and beat the death out of it, and it was almost 20 years ago, so my memory has faded.

OK, now let me try to get some responses in order. First, to MouSe, mex24x, and Rick, a few direct SS-related questions. How easy is it to get into the rear seats, do they slide forward quick, or does it have that slow electric motor setup like in the GTO? My kids are 6 and 3, so I'd be climbing back there on an almost daily basis to buckle them in and want it to be as easy as possible. And, do any of you guys have experience with driving them in the snow? How do they behave? And, what's your real-world gas mileage for city driving? My commute is about 10 miles each way on local roads so that's what I'm mostly concerned with.

To skylark65, I live in North Jersey, near NYC. Where's Bushkill, just over the Gap into PA? It sounds very familiar.

And for you 4th-gen fans montecarlo 3831 and spin'em - here's a few pics!!

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to some more feedback!

That is a gorgeous car! i love how clean it looks me and my b/f were talking about buying a '86 SS if we stay together for a couple more years and re-building it together but we are debating on if we would want black or white lol. i thought the black would look better but now i'm starting to second guess

Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Welcome to the forum man.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
That is a gorgeous car! i love how clean it looks me and my b/f were talking about buying a '86 SS if we stay together for a couple more years and re-building it together but we are debating on if we would want black or white lol. i thought the black would look better but now i'm starting to second guess
Neither. Go with burgundy. It's pretty much the best color ever.

Quick Reply: New Member With an '88 SS, and Maybe an '06-'07 SS Soon?