New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member With an '88 SS, and Maybe an '06-'07 SS Soon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Default New Member With an '88 SS, and Maybe an '06-'07 SS Soon?

Hey all,
My name is Steve, and I'm a Monte-holic. My current '88 SS is my fourth one, and it's been with me for almost 6 years. I had an '85 SS for 9 years before it, and also another '85 SS and an '87 SS during those years as daily drivers. About the only thing left stock on my '88 is the body, most of the interior, and some of the rear axle. My friends' and I swapped in a warmed over L98 from an '88 GTA (including the TPI setup and serpentine belt bracketry) and a World Class 5-speed manual trans. It's been lowered with Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks, and it has upgraded brakes too (12" 1LE rotors with B-body spindles) along with 17" wheels. I enjoy working on the car with my 6-year old son, and he really likes going to cruise nights and just driving around in it.

Anyhow, I stumbled across this site while doing some "research" on the '06-'07 Monte SS. I really like the last facelift they did on these cars, and I REALLY like the fact that it has an LSx-based V8 under the hood. I currently have an '01 Cherokee with 81K on it that's my family/parts hauler, but I'd love to replace it as soon as my daughter can get out of her front-facing car seat when she turns 4 (another 6 months or so). Don't get me wrong, the Jeep is very reliable and the 4WD is perfect for winter, but it's a pig on gas (about 14mpg around town) and handles like, well, a box on wheels. I want something newer and fun again as a DD.

So, if you're still reading now , does anyone have feedback on the last of the SS's? Any pros/cons? I know the W-bodies were excellent in the snow, but how are they as far as reliability? Any issues with the brakes, AC, or other electrical systems? And if you have any other comments, please fire away. Looking forward to getting involved here!

Old 09-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
Hey all,
My name is Steve, and I'm a Monte-holic. My current '88 SS is my fourth one, and it's been with me for almost 6 years. I had an '85 SS for 9 years before it, and also another '85 SS and an '87 SS during those years as daily drivers. About the only thing left stock on my '88 is the body, most of the interior, and some of the rear axle. My friends' and I swapped in a warmed over L98 from an '88 GTA (including the TPI setup and serpentine belt bracketry) and a World Class 5-speed manual trans. It's been lowered with Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks, and it has upgraded brakes too (12" 1LE rotors with B-body spindles) along with 17" wheels. I enjoy working on the car with my 6-year old son, and he really likes going to cruise nights and just driving around in it.

Anyhow, I stumbled across this site while doing some "research" on the '06-'07 Monte SS. I really like the last facelift they did on these cars, and I REALLY like the fact that it has an LSx-based V8 under the hood. I currently have an '01 Cherokee with 81K on it that's my family/parts hauler, but I'd love to replace it as soon as my daughter can get out of her front-facing car seat when she turns 4 (another 6 months or so). Don't get me wrong, the Jeep is very reliable and the 4WD is perfect for winter, but it's a pig on gas (about 14mpg around town) and handles like, well, a box on wheels. I want something newer and fun again as a DD.

So, if you're still reading now , does anyone have feedback on the last of the SS's? Any pros/cons? I know the W-bodies were excellent in the snow, but how are they as far as reliability? Any issues with the brakes, AC, or other electrical systems? And if you have any other comments, please fire away. Looking forward to getting involved here!
Ask me direct questions and I'll give direct answers. I don't do so well on the "general spewing of knowledge" aspect.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 PM

/\/\/\/\ Very true...i also own a 06 SS

Old 09-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

steve, i'd say your a monte-holic with all those you have had before, congrats and welcome to the forum, post some pics if you get a chance! i would have said hi earlier but it is sunday, which means tons of football for me today, hope to see you around, see ya

chris

Old 09-21-2009, 08:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome...I like that "Monte-holic" I think you would LOVE an 06-07 SS!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I own an 06' SS and I love it, the only issue supposedly is that our transmissions suck and will inevitably go out. So if you're going to get one try to get a certified used one so you'll have the extended warranty.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

oh, no not another of you jersy guys, lol. sounds like quite a collection you have had, i personally like the 06 - 7 restyle myself, they are not the fastest on the road but are really awsome when you factor in all the other +'s, they get decent milage for a v8, great in the snow, amazingly comfey & roomy interior, great handeling, and plenty of power.

btw, where in jersy are ya from?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

hey welcome! monte-holic,,,that is awesome! i'm gonna start using that lol. apparently you are a fan of the 4th gens, so am i! my race car is actually a 86 ss and i love it, i just wish it was street legal =D but idk that much bout the 7th gen so can't help ya there =[ but anyway hope all your questions get answered!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:51 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys and gal! I actually forgot - my very first car when I got my license (back in 1990) was a rusty '76 Monte Carlo, so I've actually owned 5 Montes. The '76 only lasted me a few months because I was 17 and beat the death out of it, and it was almost 20 years ago, so my memory has faded.

OK, now let me try to get some responses in order. First, to MouSe, mex24x, and Rick, a few direct SS-related questions. How easy is it to get into the rear seats, do they slide forward quick, or does it have that slow electric motor setup like in the GTO? My kids are 6 and 3, so I'd be climbing back there on an almost daily basis to buckle them in and want it to be as easy as possible. And, do any of you guys have experience with driving them in the snow? How do they behave? And, what's your real-world gas mileage for city driving? My commute is about 10 miles each way on local roads so that's what I'm mostly concerned with.

To skylark65, I live in North Jersey, near NYC. Where's Bushkill, just over the Gap into PA? It sounds very familiar.

And for you 4th-gen fans montecarlo 3831 and spin'em - here's a few pics!!

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to some more feedback!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Very nice! Welcome to the site!

Quick Reply: New Member With an '88 SS, and Maybe an '06-'07 SS Soon?