New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New here... pretty sure my LIM gasket is shot... please advise..

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Exclamation New here... pretty sure my LIM gasket is shot... please advise..

Hey all,

So I decided to finally sign up for an account here, I've been browsing everytime I have a problem with my car since I got it. But now I'm going to need more information than I can source together from random posts.

My Car:

1999 Monte Carlo LS
236,000 miles
No rust, runs strong, definitely worth putting money into imho

Last weekend I decided it was time to do the rotors / pads plus needed new tie rod ends. So when I pulled it into the driveway I noticed liquid dripping onto the driveway. After inspection it seemed to be coming from the firewall elbow (condensation?) but the coolant was low / empty and I couldn't remember checking it so I assumed that it was just me being a bad car owner and not checking the fluids, so I topped it off and finished the brake job.

Fast forward to today, I stop for gas and notice it's literally pouring coolant from below the car, the car is not overheating or otherwise acting funny, I quickly get home and pull up this site and all things point to the LIM gasket, I bought this car last February and havent had a single problem, then I start fixing things (cracked windshield, tie rod ends, new tires, exhaust, rotors / pads) and now ofcourse things start breaking. After reading a few posts I go to Autozone and pick up a Coolant Pressure tester on loan and get home and test it, as soon as I hit 13 psi coolant starts pouring out from behind the belt tensioner. So I assume that the LIM is my problem?

I've never tore down one of these engines and am not planning on having a shop doing it, so I know all the tools are available to me, I've looked up gaskets, is the the correct one? :

Felpro/Intake Manifold Gasket (MS98004T) | 1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 6 Cylinders M 3.1L SFI OHV | AutoZone.com

Model Number: MS98004T

It seems as though it includes everything that I need?

What else besides the time and the tools do I need ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am very thankful for all the information I have received thus far from you guys.

Thanks,

Andrew

EDITED TO ADD: I just got the oil changed after doing the brakes, I had them let me see the oil, it was not milky and in fact was still semi - clear after about 4500 miles, I checked the oil today and it looks great, no milkiness or anything.

Last edited by Andrew; 08-29-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 AM

24 views and no response?