New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Guy from Hungary

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:31 PM

Thank you for the nice welcome!
I think its best, if I open a new topic regarding the restoration in its proper place.

A small addition:
Having antique american cars in Hungary is not easy. Imagine you drive a russian, french, italian or spanish car as daily in the sates.
There's like a dozen of Monte Carlo only in my country, and only mine is from 73.
No parts at all, no junkyards obviously. Every piece of parts has to be ordered from the US, and the cost of the part will be like 200-250% of the original, due to taxes and postage.
Since my drivers license I only owned us cars. The addiction came from movies of my childhood.
My 1st car was a Plymouth Sundance with L4 2,5L
Currently I have a Grand Voyager for daily, but cant wait to get rid of it and ride my Monte!

Also we have a big American car club and we do have a big International American Car Meeting with like 1000+ cars attending yearly inside a 17th century fortress.

Last edited by Peter Garami; 08-02-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:36 AM

Hi Peter,

Nice car(s)! Where in Hungary are you located? In work, I go to Budapest on a regular basis for meetings and getting to know new collegaues from central Europe in our team. How are parts availability down there for these cars? Here it's impossible, no parts what so ever.

And also, I've been thinking of perhaps taking the car to Hungary or Poland to do a complete rust and paint job. Know anything about the prices?

Thanks and talk to you more

Old 08-06-2019, 04:01 AM

I live in Budapest.
No parts at all. You have to order everything from usa.

Well, the restoration prices are cheaper then in Austria, Germany or Sweden im sure, but still significant.
I know people who brings in antique cars from us restores the car in Hungary then resells it in usa again and it still much cheaper.

One big disadvantage, (i bet it applies on the whole wide world ) theres a lot crap mechanic and the good professianals are booked in for the next 2 years.

My 1st mechanic who started the frame off and the body work had quality issues.
I had enough of him quite soon, so I told him dont touch it, I will find someone else. It took too me about 2 years.
The only good thing came out of this, I paid about as much money, then I would have been paid for the storing of the car, and also the resoration garage currently working on my car is happy, since the previous mechanic at least loosened the stuck bolts and also the car was barely put together so they had easy job on the 2nd frame off.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Garami
I live in Budapest.
No parts at all. You have to order everything from usa.

Well, the restoration prices are cheaper then in Austria, Germany or Sweden im sure, but still significant.
I know people who brings in antique cars from us restores the car in Hungary then resells it in usa again and it still much cheaper.

One big disadvantage, (i bet it applies on the whole wide world ) theres a lot crap mechanic and the good professianals are booked in for the next 2 years.

My 1st mechanic who started the frame off and the body work had quality issues.
I had enough of him quite soon, so I told him dont touch it, I will find someone else. It took too me about 2 years.
The only good thing came out of this, I paid about as much money, then I would have been paid for the storing of the car, and also the resoration garage currently working on my car is happy, since the previous mechanic at least loosened the stuck bolts and also the car was barely put together so they had easy job on the 2nd frame off.
Sorry to hear about your first mechanic. That really sucks, but what could you do? Hard to know before he starts working on the car. Hope I dont bump into those issues once I get the work started on mine I would like to do it myself, at least the rust and metal work, but I dont really have the tools and experience to. And also, I live 100km from where the car is stored (i have two houses - one main house and one summer house), so I can only work on the car on weekends. Decisions decisions....

Old 09-15-2019, 05:16 AM

New here as well and thrilled to see a 2nd gen Monte being restored in Hungary! Way to go dude! High five!

Here's Mine>>

Old 09-16-2019, 09:40 AM

thank you!
Nice ride youve got.