New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New guy on the block with a 1986 Aerocoupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Impressive. . . ya just don't see many aerocoupes.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 PM

Thanks all.
Yea it is my pride and joy.
I found it in Ohio. It was complete and the previous owner was planning on restoring it also, but with two small kids, he was unable to do so. But would only sell it to someone who knew what it was, and its history.
Prior to him, it had a leaking trans line, so the entire undercarriage was coated with a thick build up of trans fluid and road grime. This however saved it from the Ohio salted roads.
The only body issues was a small dent (which he did while it was stored in his garage) in the hood and there was surface rust under the hood, and a very small quarter size spot inside the drivers rear wheel well.

So now, it is a fair weather driver. If there is a cloud in the sky, it stays covered in the garage. Wet oily road grime is quite a chore to clean up on the undercarriage. But here in AZ, there are many days it gets out. Been to quite a few car shows with it and it is surprising how many comments it gets by those few that recognize/understand how rare it is.

Gery

Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 AM

Welcome to the MCF.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's ironic that a leaky trans line helped protect the undercarriage from the damage of road salt. Luckily you shouldn't have to worry about that in AZ. At least I hope you don't. lol

Just curious. Do you get questions from people asking what the deal is with the rear window? Wondering if you put a window from another car onto your Monte? I know someone who once owned an aerocoupe. He got berated by some guy who told him he ruined a perfectly nice Monte by chopping the trunk lid and putting "that ugly bubble" for a back window. Buddy of mine told him it came like that and laughed at him.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
That's ironic that a leaky trans line helped protect the undercarriage from the damage of road salt. Luckily you shouldn't have to worry about that in AZ. At least I hope you don't. lol

Just curious. Do you get questions from people asking what the deal is with the rear window? .
The biggest question I get is why would I restore 1986 car, "Its not a classic", but when I relay the reasoning Chevrolet and NASCAR did this so that the SS could be run in the circuit, and that only 200 were hand built by CARS & CONCEPTS INC. back then to put the Aerodynamic window in it.
At that time, NASCAR required that a minimum of 200 cars, of the models running, had to be available to the general public.
Today, only 94 have been found and accounted for along with only 3 of which are West of Illinois. That alone makes this car more rare than many at the car shows.
After that, they quiet down. Then if they are NASCAR fans, they get really interested.

Gery

Old 06-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Welcome!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome, that is a BEAUTIFUL 4th Gen.

You really look like you have taken your time and put a lot of love into that car.

I like your sign post with everything you have done, but did you ever notice Transmission spelled wrong?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM

nice looking 80s ride i miss my '86 Iroc but I had tp let her gp. Thanks for sharing

Old 06-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I like your sign post with everything you have done, but did you ever notice Transmission spelled wrong?
Ding, Ding, Ding.... It was a test, You win.....

Ha Ha, that is what I get for throwing it together to fast before my last car show I took it to Santa Barbara.

Thanks, Fixed now

Quick Reply: New guy on the block with a 1986 Aerocoupe