New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

just got a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Intimidator!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 AM

question... i didn't notice this before... but what oil pressure do you guys usually show? i am not used to that gauge (i haven't had one like that since i had my firebird back in '04) and it reads right about in the middle. when i am accelerating it goes up a bit... is this normal? i can't remember lol.
That sounds normal. Mine reads right in the middle at idle, and increases a bit as the rpm's climb (up to about the 3/4 hash mark). The oil pump is driven by the engine so it's going to be pumping more at higher rpm's.

also my psi gauge for the supercharger only has gotten up to about 60% max (when i flew past a guy who was doing about 25 in a 40 zone...
The boost gauge reads from -10 to +10 psig. You're probably not going to build much more than 6 or 7 psi of boost on a stock pulley even at WOT. Sounds normal to me.

Since you got the extended 12 month warranty, double check every electrical switch you can possibly use.
On my last Monte (an '01 LS) the turn signals switch crapped out immediately after I bought it (at around 28k miles in '04). Luckily that was covered under the 3year/36mile factory warranty.
On the Intimidator, I noticed that about a month after I bought it that the high beam/low beam switch is goofy. It switches to high beams no problem every time but I have to pull the switch five or six times to go back to low beams before the switch catches. Isn't a big issue because I live in the city and never use my highbeams. Unfortunately when I go to visit my parents, it bugs the hell out of me. That switch is listed at a ridiculous price (over $500 IIRC at the dealerships, and about $320 from GMPD) so I really don't want to buy a new one.

-Riggs.

Last edited by biggriggs; 05-13-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your oil pressure gauge is right. It will fluctuate on you, just make sure it doesn't get to the red on either side. If you are going to run it hard (since you are S/C and it's fun) I'd check out the dipstick once every 2 weeks (for the first month, just to make sure the car isn't eating oil)

Also, it's such low miles for an 04, could it have been sitting for a long time? The supercharger also has oil in it, recommended to be swapped every 50k, but maybe do it as a precaution? I'm not sure as I am N/A, but it's probably something I would do, just because it's cheap, and I'd love to know the exact mileage so it can be monitored.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Congrats on getting the Intimidator!

You should have lots of fun with it. So far everything you mentioned sounds normal.

You are very lucky to find one with such low mileage.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Oh yeah, and if you haven't realized it yet, everyone here loves pictures. When ever you get a chance, feel free to post pics.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 AM

hey guys! thanks!!!! y'all are awesome... seriously... i am having a blast... i couldn't sleep last night so i got up, snuck out and took him on the lake for a nice midnight cruise... man while i was out there a car full of girls from UNO (the college that is right on the lake) pulled up next to me and started honking and waving and i had to remember who i was going home to hahah...

thank you guys so much for your answers... i am gonna go get the supercharger checked out because yes i guess it has been sitting for a looong time... i believe the dealer said an old big rig fella owned it and had it just displayed in front his house just driving it on the weekends.... but this is gorgeous from what i have read i believe i have the L67 3800 3.8L V6 motor correct? i am looking for some mods for it right now

oh yea, i'm gonna be taking some pics today, i just got my camera back so game on

Old 05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats on finally getting it! Can't wait to see pics

Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM

thanks man! i'm gonna go out there in a few minutes... gotta take my dog out anyway... she wants to go for a ride... but ohhh the leather... i think she can wait at home for this one haha

Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM

15 Year Member

just be careful when modding your supercharged engine, you don't wanna run into Knock Retard.

Yes you have the L67, and read this thread!!!

Happy modding.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:22 AM

thanks chibiblacksheep.
i am reading right now and getting ready to order my first mod... CAI... mmhmm and soon to come ... i will update when i find them hahah

Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 AM

15 Year Member
Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM

ahhh should i get exactly what you have in that box there?

Quick Reply: just got a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Intimidator!