New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Introduction - Silver the Sandy flood car

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 PM

Any news on your status?

Old 10-02-2014, 04:37 AM

Well, despite assurances from the seller that the engine turned freely, it did not.

I did get $500 back from him on the prices, which covered the cost of an engine rebuild kit,

The rest of the car has been rewired and everything is working. I've replaced all of the instrument and switch lights with blue LEDs, replaced the headlights with crystal black units with HIDs, and replaced the taillights with IPCW ruby red LED units.

The engine had gotten water into one cylinder through the intake and into one cylinder through the exhaust. They had minor rust and I hones them out about 5 thousands. The valve seats were good, but all of the valves were pitted to various degrees, so I replaced them all. I replaced all of the pistons.

The engine had virtually no wear on it, but I guess that would be normal for a 19,000 mile engine. I've never opened an engine with so few miles on it before.

Right now, the engine is together and ready to go back in. I hope to do that this weekend.

This is taking a lot longer than I hoped, but I do expect the results to be worth it.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like your making Great progress...
I/we are looking forward to when its finally up and running again!
Looking forward to your progressive pics from start to finish!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:08 AM

I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I'd give an update.

Still no photos. Maybe over the holiday weekend if the snow idn't too deep here in the Northeast

After considerable work, the engine was rebuilt and reinstalled. Everything was mechanical was working, but by then I started having electrical problems.

The headlights, left turn signal, and instrument panel are all screwed up, and the remote entry is not working/ All of these things were working a month ago. I checked the IP by replacing it with a scrap one, and it's the IP, not the car. I've got no idea why it died. The gauges all worked, but the lamps and displays were all out.

I'm thinking the headlights and turn signal are the multifunction switcg. It's a new on, but that really doesn't mean anything.

Along the way I picked up a Tech 2 scan tool and laptop computer with TIS2000 software licensed for vehicles up to 2008. I haven't used the YIS2000 software yet, but I have used the Tech 2 quite a bit.

Using it, I can tell that the headlight switch is working and the car thinks the headlights are on. The high beams work.

The ability to control almost any output and monitor and input is great.

I registered and insured the car on Monday, so I'll be on the road in a week or so.