Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2/28/2011 - Basement Flood

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2/28/2011 - Basement Flood

So, back in 2006, my basement flooded. It was a good opprotunity to remodel it and update some of my home. Finally did that, enjoying it and now, Monday, it had flooded AGAIN. Both times, sewage back up (resulting in the obvious disinfecting, and massive cleaning).

This time, I will be getting a check vavle installed to prevent this MESS from happening again. My wife and I have taken the past two days off from work to handle clean up efforts. Just a NIGHTMARE. But it will get better.

At the moment, I barely have Internet connectivity at home (finally hooked things up late last night). Some of (but not all of) my computer equipment was compromised in the flood water.

Very, very agrivating. The rumor mill in the neighborhood is that this is resulting because of people who illegally connected their footer drains and storm drains to the sewer system (due to the massive rain storm on Monday, the fluid capacity over filled what the sewer system could take in.

So, anyone else in Lake County Ohio affected by Monday's rain??

Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 AM

Hi Maniac,
Sorry 2 read the news in your thread...I sure hope that you have flood or water damage insurance ?
We have the same problems here in Florida during tropical storms & hurricanes...Water can cause so much damage 4-Sure...Wish you & family the best of luck getting things cleaned `up....
Below is what I found on the web on your area of the Buckeye State.
News for Flooding Lake County Ohio 2011

NewsNet5.com Melting snow, heavy rains cause flooding in Cleveland, Northeast Ohio
1 day ago
28, 2011, when the Grand and Chagrin rivers crested above major flood level. ... throughout Northeast Ohio, from Lake County west to Lorain County. ...
Plain Dealer (blog) - 13 related articles - Shared by 5+

Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Yeah that sucks. Mine flooded a bit once when my water heater took a ****. It wasn't fun.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I have flood insurnace for my basement (had it ever since I bought the house just because it takes one flood to make you wish you had it). Last time, my insurnace company did me well and I have faith they will do me well again.

I just heard my city will be doing some inspecting to the cause of this sewage back up. One measure will be comparing the records from the flood experience in 2006 to those of this past Monday (see how many homes the city visited both times to pump out). That's a plus, still doesn't change the fact of all the work we're doing cleaning up.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Some co-workers had extreme flooding. The one lady couldn't make it to work because her road had flooded so bad. She had a picture of her neighbor trying to leave in his SUV and it stalled in the middle of the road/river lol. I'll see if I can get the picture from her.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 PM

It was great to re-visit your thread and read that you have flood insurance 4-Sure...I also hope that they compensate you for your clean `up time...

Flood and hurricane insurance in Florida is not affordable to many, especially if you live by the ocean....Many of my senior friends are paying $400to $700 a month just for their home & hurricane insurance...& State Farm is cancelling most : (
The price one has to pay to live by the ocean : ( or anywhere 2day : (

Wish you good luck on getting everything cleaned `up and
back to normal again....

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM

sorry about the flooding, that stinks.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear, your basement was a great looking place. I hope there wasn't much stuff damaged!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the flooding and damage to your basement.

Used to get flooded basement all the time until the city replaced the main sewer pipe in my neighbourhood.

Good Luck man! Hope your place is fixed soon and you're covered by insurance.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the flooding of basement.,Hope everything turns out ok......

Quick Reply: 2/28/2011 - Basement Flood