General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

The Flood Victim

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Cool The Flood Victim

Hey guys. I was at the shop the other day & there was a parking spot right beside me ol' 97 Plymouth Breeze so I parked beside it & decided to take a few pics of the "seasoned veteran" & the "new kid" (lol). Some of you guys know the story of the Breeze but I'll tell it again for anyone who doesn't know & is curious So I got my license during my spring break of March 2007 so I drove the Breeze from then to around May 27ish 2008.

Two days after I got the monte (the weekend of actually) the Breeze got in a horrible flood. I was at my aunt's with my brother & my parents were driving home with the Breeze & the van. Well it was storming so bad that my mom decided that she couldnt handle it anymore so they parked the Breeze at a commuter parking lot for the night. Well next morning, they went to go get it & they saw that the inside of the windows were plastered with mud. The Breeze had been flooded, along with several other cars, the night before ALL the way to the roof of it, but it was the only car that didnt float to a different spot. It was a depressing sight. Yes, it wasn't the nicest car, but at the time, it was the nicest car out of all of my friends & I took care of it, the only problems it had was the fading paint on the back bumper & someone scratched it on the back passenger door. Me & my dad stayed up til around 3am that night taking out all of the interior & scrubbing it down. The car still runs fine for being in a flood. Didn't have to replace the engine or the trans. Just had to replace a few things here & there like the cluster, one of the computer/motors in the car, & the radio. Not sure how much rust it has now from the whole ordeal but I'm planning on giving it a good washing sometime here soon to check out the condition of it & I'm planning on restoring the headlights to help her look a lil nicer.

So yeah here are some pics of it. It has over 250,000 miles on it I think. She sure is a trooper & her name is Speedy & yes there is a story bout why I named her Speedy lol.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 PM

Beautiful Monte you have there

Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I think you will be surprised that with all the water it saw, it probably wont really rust out any more than normal. As long as the interior was removed and cleaned/dried it should be alright. Cars are designed to drain water from everywhere except the interior. Remember also, the whole structure of the car is actually dipped in a pool of primer at the factory, so everywhere that water could have flowed to, primer has flowed there already. I would imagine some of the sound deadening would be water logged, but the areas where there are sound deadening usually are the thickest areas of the car, like the pillars, rocker panels, ect. The car will probably see the scrap yard before those areas will rust out anyway. You may see some accelerated rust in areas of the car that are already prone to rust, but I dont think it would make it rust too much faster.

Im glad to see you guys actually cleaned it up and saved it instead of just giving up on it. It may be a mopar but you always hate to see a perfectly good car go to waste. Great work on cleaing it up.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:28 AM

my friend used to drive a breeze and we would always make fun of it. it would sputter down the road real sad like though. he hit a pole with it and he let us beat the dent back out with hammers and spray paint it so it wouldn't rust. fun times. fun times. nice little cars though. especialy for first time drivers and the gas prices these days

Old 05-20-2010, 05:13 AM

..Hi Brittany, and thanks for posting/sharing your story with pic's : ) Speedy looks Super for being flooded + with a quarter of a million miles : )

- Mod `Matt, good points & good information.
When I see the news around our country & see all the flooded cars from everywhere. I wonder where they all end `up ? I know many are cleaned `up and resold....I don't believe I would want a flooded car. It sure does pay to do your homework before a purchase, and use checks like CarFax etc...

Peace/Out/Thanks : )

Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 AM

That sucks, but its good nobody was in it when it happend. Buff them headlights and she'll look good. Is the battery bad or is the car rusting from the parking space up? lol
Your Monte is lookin good.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:58 PM

All i see is a Monte!
Are you sure there's another vehicle in there? O_O' XD

Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

first off, thanks for the compliments on the monte guys =) it was most def an upgrade but the breeze still isnt the worse car out there i couldve gotten for a first car lol
& also good point there Matt. The Breeze has been in the family for a really long time so my mom wouldn't have let us get rid of it & honestly I would have been a lil bit upset to see it go for good.
& no the battery isn't bad. My dad drives it now & then back home instead of the truck to save on gas
tomorrow i'm gonna be going to the shop so i'm gonna be looking on the bottom of the car to check out any rust & if i find any I'm gonna wash it & sand down the rust & prob spray some black touch-up paint over it to help some the rusting

Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
All i see is a Monte!
Are you sure there's another vehicle in there? O_O' XD
Saw the Monte, but also see the El Camino in the fourth picture!

GF just gave her 99 Stratus to her nephew. Nice car for what it was meant for, no Monte but more then adequate DD.
What's the old ad slogan... "You've come a long way, Baby!". Sorry Marketing minor kicking in.

Last edited by JAFO; 05-20-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You enjoy cars with cursive writing on them dont you

Quick Reply: The Flood Victim