New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

High RPMS at IDLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 10:09 AM
3 Year Member
Default High RPMS at IDLE

Have a 2002 SS. All of a sudden, yesterday, the rpms starting running around 1800 at idle. I have in the last year replaced many components of the fuel system. Not had this problem until yesterday,. Smell seams like it is running lean. Replaced O2 sensors in last year as well and catalytic converter.

105k on car,

Any ideas would help.
Of note, I did fill up with gas at Sams Club yesterday, but have ran that brand of gas prior without problems. Started after fill up..

Thanks

Apachie

Old 03-28-2020, 06:55 PM

My guess would be the air idle solenoid pintel on the throttle body needs cleaning. Have you checked for pending codes? Why did you replace the catalytic converter? If it was clogged, the plastic intake will overheat and deform at the throttle body, causing an air leak. Try spraying sensor safe cleaner there and see if the idle changes.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:11 AM

Hello Apachie, I think Glen01SS has the correct answer. These cars are getting pretty old now and the rubber vacuum lines are starting to break down. While spraying around the intake, throttle body, etc, make sure to spray around the vacuum line. An air leak will cause the exact symptoms you are reporting. One other thing to watch out for, the fuel lines are also getting old and brittle. When working around the engine, any time you move one of those line, it is subject to cracking. Not what you are reporting now but be aware of this and try to avoid moving the fuel line unless necessary. Better yet, if you have to replace some vacuum line, look at the fuel line and replace any that are in the same area. Just be sure your are using "Fuel Line" hose as they are treated to handle Ethanol.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:54 AM
3 Year Member

I replaced the IAC and the TPS. Still running high. around 3000 rpms. I unplugged the battery etc. No codes. I replaced the Catalytic converter due to popping codes, poor performance and such.

I have replaced multiple components over the last year. I also have replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor within the last year. Have been chasing something on this car for awhile. Seems like I get it right and running great, then something new pops up. Definitely becoming a 3800 expert. lol.

Do not know what else to do to see about the high idle. Another person suggested a temp control sensor.

Any other suggestions?

Old 03-31-2020, 09:55 AM
3 Year Member

thank you guys

Last edited by Apachie; 03-31-2020 at 12:08 PM.