Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

99 Monte Carlo 3.1 Idle RPM surge issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Default [SOLVED] 99 Monte Carlo 3.1 CRAZY rough idle HIGH 4000 RPM surge issue

Car was working perfectly then I started it 2 days later and it had a rough idle like it was out of gas. Then the RPM jump real high almost to red line and stayed for few seconds then went back down to rough spurting idle.

When I driving the car in normal speed range the car runs smooth but as soon as I stop or slow down to stop the car has a spurt rough idle then the RPM jumps real high and stays for about 3-4 seconds and then back down to rough idle and sometimes cutting off... As long as I'm applying some gas it wont cut off

Now if I press on gas pedal while idling in park it here is no hesitation and smooth rev

I opened my hood and only thing I noticed was the line to PCV Valve was off and I reconnected it, but its still doing the same thing...

Besides this problem i keep the car up and engine runs smooths besides this. It has good power still when coming off idle etc...No codes came up

Also if I press on the pedal while it idles HIGH 4000 rpm, it does not affect it. Seems like it has a mind of its own until it idles back low.

Seems like sensor or something because when it idles high even if I give it gas it doesn't seem responsive

I need help bad. I have interviews coming up

I hard it may be the throttle position sensor?

Spark plugs wires all brand new been replaced. I keep the car in good shape

I dont know if videos are allowed but I can post a short video of my car replicating this problem

Problem: Engines has rough idle (like its out of gas)spurts at idle when starting up then will rev real high and stay high for few seconds then lowers back down to a heavy rough idle and sometimes cuts off.

Last edited by itsjustme; 10-20-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:37 PM

After doing some further looking I listen to my engine for air leaks and found a big one. The tube the runs from the pcv valve has a opening that inserts into engine. Well the rubber seal broke on it. When I pressed down it my car ran fine, and when I let go it idled rough again and cut off and let out a huge amount of air.. $2 part from junkyard.

Pics below

Last edited by itsjustme; 10-20-2010 at 02:59 PM.