New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hi i am new and have a 98z34 monte carlo

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:23 AM
Default Hi i am new and have a 98z34 monte carlo

Hi i am new to these boards i needed a daily driver and bought a 98 z34 monte carlo from a family reletive to drive when i'm not driving my Trans am(gas hog) i have herd great things about these cars as friends that have them and the 3.8 is bulletproof from what i hear, and i love it but it seems to not get the best gas mileage, i get about 280 miles on a full tank with 60% street and 40 freeway and i don't beat on it i rather drive it easy actually, is that what i should be getting? BTW it has 104k on it spark plugs and wires are original and i am already on my way to replacing them and i just changed the fuel filter, anyone sugguest anything i can do, free mods or anything? also does anyone have any sound clips with the rear mufflers removed? thanks everyone!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Default RE: Hi i am new and have a 98z34 monte carlo

Hi Loren, & Welcome to the MCF
Please post some pic's of your cars. Use the MCF
Search engine to search for your questions, &
if you don't find them, post them.
Please be patience, some member's only visit a
few times a week.
Good Luck with your Monte Carlo
Below is for your information, I hope that it gives
you some insights or idea's.
`Space
[:-]
[center][b]Restoring performance with maintenance

You've had the religion of regular oil changes pounded into you -- but other basic maintenance items are worthy of attention, too. Usually these upkeep items sneak up on you, affecting your car's performance gradually but significantly. We asked mechanics for the simplest, most often overlooked maintenance items that will affect performance over time, and here's what they told us to tell you:

Let it flow
A clogged fuel filter will strain your fuel pump and interrupt the smooth flow of fuel into your fuel injectors, causing them to perform less efficiently. You won't notice a dirty fuel filter on newer cars in the same way you would have in an old carbureted car, with stalling and hesitation, because modern flow sensors and other electronics will make up for it. But while the car might run only slightly rougher, all-out performance and efficiency of your car will suffer greatly. And no, occasionally using a bottle of fuel injector cleaner does not excuse you from having the fuel filter changed once every couple of years.

Let it breathe
On older cars, oxygen sensors can fail slowly without triggering the "check engine" light. The engine computer will lapse into a "safety" mode, where the mixture is slightly richer and the timing is tuned back, all before the dash lights give you a warning that all is not well. The result is less power and worse gas mileage. Replacing the oxygen sensor will help your car perform better and save you gas money -- and for your green side it means you're not polluting as much. Newer OBD-II systems are more sensitive and the "check engine" light will often be triggered just as the oxygen sensor is beginning to malfunction. The PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve should be inspected regularly, too. A defective or clogged PCV valve can make matters worse, sending more unburned gasoline fumes into the cylinders, displacing the flow of fresh oxygen past the valve and again causing the computer to run the engine rich. Even on newer cars, oxygen sensors should be replaced every five years or 60,000 to 80,000 miles. And have your mechanic check the PCV valve with each service.

Keep it shifting smoothly
One of the mechanics rated proper transmission fluid changes as the single most neglected maintenance item affecting vehicle performance. Skipping regular fluid changes will result in sluggish, rough shifts, hesitation, poor performance and fuel economy, and a greatly reduced service life. Some new automatic transmissions are sealed and claim to not need fluid changes, but most new automatics still require regular servicing. Check with your service manual and mechanic.

Keep the spark
The philosophy, "If it still works, leave it be," might work for other components in your car, but not the ignition wires. Over time, ignition wires lose their efficiency as the insulating material surrounding them degrades due to exposure to excessive heat and vibration, and spills of oil, water, or other fluids. Modern ignition systems produce a strong enough spark for the engine to run normally even when a wire is severely degraded, but perform

Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Loren, welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum. Friendliest and most active Monte forum on the web.
You got the 3.4 DOHC engine, right? Let's see some pics.
Wayne
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 09-07-2007, 05:42 AM

i will get some pics up tomorrow but i have the 3800 series its the 3.8 not sure if its DOHC though.
ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

Loren, welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum. Friendliest and most active Monte forum on the web.
You got the 3.4 DOHC engine, right? Let's see some pics.
Wayne
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 09-07-2007, 06:10 AM

Hi Loren, No your 3.8 is not a DOHC
Click below link, and there are several reviews on your
generation Monte Carlo.
It should tell your a lot about your Monte.
EnJoy the `Journey,
`Space
[:-]Click below link [:-]